“Clean and comfortable but with a few significant flaws”

The Los Angeles Athletic Club Hotel
Ranked #82 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 5 July 2017 via mobile

PROS:
Hotel is very clean.
Has temperature control.
They are updating their elevators.
Has a pool/gym/bar.
Staff at the front desk are polite and helpful.

CONS:
No outlets beside the beds (can't conveniently charge phone/devices)

Cleaning staff often forgets to stock items such as q-tips so you need to ask the desk.

You may be left feeling a bit unsafe as well as unlike most hotels the room doors lack chains/deadbolts for use from the inside, meaning staff always has full access even when you are in there.

LA in general turns a bit sketchy at night and the lock the hotel doors, so if someone is not at the desk you will have to lock to get their attention.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Gretchen C, General Manager at The Los Angeles Athletic Club Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2017

William,
While I am very pleased to hear that you found the hotel clean and the staff helpful, I am so sorry about the inconveniences you experienced. I want to thank you for taking the time to give us your honest feedback.
I will be working with the cleaning staff to be more consistent with the stay-over service. I am so sorry that you had to go out of your way to get items that should be replenished daily. That is not acceptable.
We are indeed working on the elevators and expect to have all four of them running smoothly in September. In the meantime, it does take a little patience, but they get there in the end.
With respect to safety, I'm not exactly certain what happened with your deadbolt, but I will certainly inspect our locking system (it is a high-end secure RFID system from a very highly respected hotel lock company).
We understand that Downtown LA has a very colorful collection of neighborhood characters, but I assure you that we not only have overnight security, but we lock all access doors and monitor them with a reliable security system as well as our overnight staff. There should always be someone at the desk for our guests.

There are newer reviews for The Los Angeles Athletic Club Hotel

Reviewed 29 June 2017

It paid to go off brand on this occasion!

The LACC lived up to expectations and more the reviews from other satisfied travellers. From the friendly check in staff...shout out to Raoul very professional and welcoming made me feel at home from the off. That said the breakfast staff could learn a thing or three about true customer service and treating each guest with dignity.

Location wise this LAAC is in close proximity to all the shopping and dining you will need for your stay. There is a Whole Foods less than 5 mins away which helped keep me on straight and narrow no pun intended. The area is staff in the day time however I would caution you if a single traveller like myself to proceed with caution from sunset.

The rooms are reasonably sized although housekeeping could pay a little more attention to detail.

The LAAC has a fab onsite gym and an in door walking track. To top it all they also have a great pool for those who need to tread water.

All in all ....had a great time here and would highly recommend this hotel to all who are not brand snobs.

Stayed: June 2017
Gretchen C, General Manager at The Los Angeles Athletic Club Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2017

Terri,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience. We are lucky to have Raul and I look forward to sharing your review with him. I'm very glad you had a good experience with our reception staff and the athletic facilities (I'm particularly fond of the pool myself).
If you have a moment, please share your concerns regarding the breakfast staff and the issues with housekeeping with me personally (my email address is gretchen.crookes@laac.net). We appreciate honest feedback and it sounds like both these areas fell below our standards during your stay. I truly hope you consider us for future visits (I would love the chance to improve on your last visit).
Gretchen

Reviewed 10 June 2017 via mobile

We didn't like this hotel. We had certain expectations because it is a reciprocal club with the Army Navy Club in Washington DC, but it doesn't begin to compare to it or other reciprocal clubs. These clubs are clean, well-maintained, with dress codes (sometimes a minor annoyance, sometimes a blessing in disguise).

Our first night in the hotel we could hear the guest in the next room moaning all night through the connecting door. No one's fault, but we changed rooms and asked if someone could check on the guest's condition. The bathrooms are very small. The neighborhood is sketchy. The lobby is shabby. The elevators are due for replacement, none too soon.

It is within walking distance to the Los Angeles metro station and some rental car companies will pick you up at the hotel. However, we can't recommend this hotel, at least until the hotel is cleaner and in a better state of repair.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chuck B
Reviewed 8 June 2017

The Los Angeles Athletic Club was a treat from the moment I checked in. It is indeed a club. The rooms are very comfortable and have been recently refurbished. Their gym puts any hotel chain to shame and their pool is spectacular. Breakfast is in a wonderfully restored dining area offering a warm and cold buffet. The bar is simply spectacular and very well attended. Outstanding selection of beverages available. If you are a Rotarian, there is a club that meets there on Thursday evenings! The décor is superb overall, including trophies, paintings, wood paneling and leather seats. There is a business center and there is fine wifi access. Elevators are being refurbished and the location is central.

Room Tip: take your swimsuit! It is an indoor pool and a historic one at that
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 May 2017

Inside this hotel is the history of early, grand Los Angeles. Dark wood paneling, sports trophies and magnificent oil paintings everywhere. Great breakfast and dining room.
Comfortable beds with elegant brown carpet and walls. I don't think there's anything like it in LA.
Now for the sad part. Outside the front doors are homeless people and the area has gone to seed on this block. It looks like there is a valiant effort to bring back the neighborhood and big buildings surrounding it appear to be getting remodels. We used cabs to go the 4-5 blocks to get to the nearby magnificent and world-class symphony halls and museums. When we next opt for more tickets to the best opera and symphony
performances in the country we'll stay here again. Wow, didn't even mention the indoor swimming pool and athletics there!

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple