“Loud, but good”

Opa! Authentic Greek Cuisine
Ranked #19 of 97 Restaurants in Los Altos
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Reservations
Description: New restaurant, just opened. Have a couple other branches in San Jose.
Reviewed 18 April 2018

The entree was delicious, I had the pork chop, but was a little disappointed with the appetizer, we ordered the spanakopita and the bottom was burnt. The place was on the small size , so it was kinda loud, hard to hear your own conversations

Date of visit: October 2017

Reviewed 22 January 2018

An interesting wine list with some very good Greek whites (not retsina). The lamb souvlaki was as good as I've eaten in Greece. The Greek salad was authentic as you can get! Only problem: service was deadly slow: a side dish was delivered one minute before the bill WE'll try again, but...

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed 18 January 2018

Tried to make reservations for the private dining room.....what a pain!! Called the restaurant and they couldn't even tell me whether or not the room was available. They told me to call "Valerie" a private event planner. Called "Valerie" and thought I had the wrong number because I got a generic message to leave a message - no indication that I was calling business number let alone an event planner for Opa!. Called Opa again thinking I had dialed the wrong number. Talked to an unsympathetic and no more informed manager who assured me I had the right number. UGH! What a run around. Called Ursa, a mediterranean restaurant on State Street, Los Altos --- they have a private room and staff was able to help me immediately - very lovely, very helpful people.

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed 25 August 2017

I have two comments, the first is about the food: It was very good. My friend and I shared two appetizers, vegetarian dolmades and the gyro platter. Two large dolmades were tender, moist and delicately flavored with lemon juice, olive oil and herbs; and accompanying them were tomato slices, Greek olives and pita wedges. The gyro plate consisted of shavings of well seasoned beef (We chose beef but could have had chicken.). Again, tomato slices and pita wedges came with it and a generous amount of tzatziki for the meat. Opa! understands Greek cookery and executes it well. Portions are generous and two appetizers were plenty for two people at lunch.

The second comment is about the building: it is an issue. It needs some refurbishment. The door at the rear of the restaurant through which we entered was stuck shut; it did open but only after a few hard pushes. There were pieces of tape on a couple of walls covering imperfections or more serious problems that have not been repaired or corrected. The women's restroom was tired looking. The dining room is very dark and the furnishings are showing their age. The most pressing need is for insulation or bafflers. The room was only half full at lunchtime, yet the noise level was just about unbearable. I could hardly hear what my friend was saying over the din.

If and when the problems are fixed, I think this restaurant will warrant a higher rating.

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed 1 August 2017 via mobile

We decided to stop for lunch after shopping in downtown Los Altos. Opa Authentic Greek Cuisine was close by and there was seating available outdoors. I had a delicious flatbread and a very refreshing glass of wine. The other members of my group commented that their lunches were gray and the service was very good.

Date of visit: July 2017