“Great restaurant, great location right on the waterfront”

Boathouse on the Bay
Ranked #43 of 1,190 Restaurants in Long Beach
Cuisines: American, Sushi, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Boathouse on the Bay is a steak and seafood restaurant situated on Alamitos Bay in Long Beach and serves an array of fresh seafood, steak, sushi, sashimi, oysters and cocktails.
Reviewed 11 December 2015

This was our second visit to the Boathouse. Both times we were with a large party - 8 people. The service was seamless and efficient. The food was well above average, but typical of an upscale restaurant. It is not fine dining by a long shot, but still very, very good. The menu is the typical fare, steaks, pork loin, and seafood, but the preparation is exceptional and very tasty. The bar is well stocked and there is a good wine list. Well worth a visit.

1  Thank PalosVerdesAviator

Reviewed 10 December 2015

Everything else was substandard for any restaurant and way way WAY substandard for what should be one of the nicest restaurants in Long Beach. I won't be back, nor will 20+ of my closest friends that dined with me at a group employee event I hosted for them yesterday. The restaurant knew we were coming and still did not dedicate servers to our group. The appetizers were slow to be ordered, delivered AND they were burned to a crisp...literally black bottom edge to edge, carcinogenic. Taking orders was a chore to get started...our chore to request that it happen. And again, the server wasn't dedicated so we had to first wait for orders to be taken at other tables that arrived after us. When the meals arrived they were not correct and mine was incomplete (I ordered soup that wasn't delivered until after I finished my meal...and only then bc I asked a table clearing person to get a server for me...nobody actually came to ask if my meal was ok...it wasn't for more reasons than the missing soup). Since I was the guy that stood up and made remarks, you'd think some attention might be given to making sure my meal was correct, and I can only assume that if they couldn't make mine correctly, then there were certainly others. In fact, I know of at least three others and probably many more. There was genuinely nothing good to say about any of the food, appetizers or entrees. It was all subpar. After all of that, you'd expect a few things to be taken off the bill (like those things not delivered or delivered inedible...nope!). Pay for it all! I guess they figured I wouldn't be back anyway so they may as well get as much out of it as possible while I'm a hostage to being socially correct among my employees and the corporate card is being used to pay the tab. If I was alone or on a date, the manager would have been in my sights and often. But...the view was very nice. If the owners ever want to see us again, the charges should be reversed, then I will know there is a serious attempt to get us back. I'm betting nothing happens and this is a harbinger for yet another restaurant failure in this location.

2  Thank Kauai-Biz-Traveler
Reviewed 9 December 2015

We sat on the patio where the atmosphere was casual and lively. A pleasant pair of musicians played, but the music made it more challenging to have a conversation. There were eight of us, so we had quite a variety of food. Some dishes were good, some were okay. My seared ahi tuna salad was quite good. We did experience one of the hazards of outdoor dining by the beach - a seagull flying over dropped a little gift on our table. Ah, well. Yes, I would go again.

Reviewed 27 November 2015

The food I ordered was EXCELLENT. My husband ordered the fish and chips and said it was mediocre. We were with a group and tried several types of starters. All were delicious especially the artichoke dip and brussel sprouts. I got the salad with steak and it was tasty. We sat outside with heaters and live music. A magical night with good friends.

Reviewed 8 November 2015

Saturday brunch with friends is always a delightful treat at The Boathouse on the Bay. Between the welcoming staff to the servers it is always a pleasure to come here. Their Eggs Benedict are delicious, served with their potatoes, and their coffee is strong and robust! We had a lovely window view of the water, couldn't ask for a nicer Saturday visit.
Thank you!