All reviewsrooms are smallboutique hotelhighly recommend the vardencontinental breakfastcomplimentary wineglass shelfconvention centereuropean feelno elevatorpine streetkeurig coffeedowntown long beachyogurtbottled watertrade showbusiness tripbusiness traveler
Reviewed 8 May 2018

My husband and I stay at this hotel every time we visit Long Beach. We like knowing that you can count on it to be clean, well maintained, and comfortable with a great staff. The owners Larry and Charles are the best and they make sure that you have everything you need. It is in a great location where you can walk to restaurants, coffee shops, and to the pier. The hotel serves a breakfast and a happy hour. The rooms may be small, but the hotel makes up for it with its big hospitality. We will continue returning to "The Varden Hotel".

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 May 2018

I had to make a quick trip to Long Beach and the major hotels were filled up. I found the Varden on line and made my reservation. When I arrived I found this hotel to have a great visual appearance. The counter person was very helpful with information and carried my bag up to my room. They only have stairs to get to your floor.
Once I was in my room I found it to be extremely clean, This is an old hotel so the room was a little smaller than I was used too, but I can say it was very comfortable.

Room Tip: I would choose a lower room if you do not like stairs
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 April 2018

I had 3 different interactions with 3 different front desk hotel employees during my stay and all of them incredibly impacted my stay to be the best one in Long Beach. I had come here 4 or 5 years ago and remembered how amazing my experience was so I knew when I needed to stay in Long Beach, this would be the place to go. I checked in early since I was attending a trade show and by the time I came back, it was late. I was escorted to my room and my belongings were already set for me which was nice. The hospitality was incredible. I needed the iron and the ironing board, and there it was, right at my door the moment I asked for it. Next to the lobby were some coffee, tea and fruits available to me at any time during the day or night. I was able to experience the wine tasting at night and it was great. The room is small, cute and charming. I was able to adjust the temperature of the room easily with no effort. I had to leave before breakfast was served but before I left the hotel, the gentleman made sure that my stay was pleasant and sent me off with some water on the go. If I ever need to stay in Long Beach again, this would be the place to go.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

Cool boutique property and stellar customer service! After receiving a warm welcome as I exited my airport shuttle, I was escorted to my room by the front desk attendant. I was greeted warmly each time I passed through the lobby and then welcomed back to the hotel upon every return. Brilliant!

1  Thank Jerry B
Reviewed 4 April 2018

Loved it. Small but exquisitely designed rooms – clean, crisp, in white and blue very appealing, feels like a retro ocean liner. Every staff member was helpful and friendly without being intrusive or overbearing. Great neighborhood -- lots of interesting architecture, small restaurants, etc,, though with the exception of a couple of restaurants geared toward people in their 20-s and 30-s, the area closes down at night (at least mid-week -- don't know about weekends). You need to walk up one or two flights of stairs to get to the rooms, so not for someone who cannot climb stairs. Not recommended for big families or travelers who like standard hotel amenities.