“Great prime rib”

Price range: USD 25 - USD 35
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The prime rib dinner is excellent - a bargain. Good quality and large enough to take home for a second meal. Includes salad, veggies and potato. The restaurant is pleasant and the servers are friendly. If you plan to dine when it is busy, make reservations in advance - it gets busy.

Reviewed 8 October 2018

Usually food at or near a casino is marginal at best. However, Sage Cafe is not only one of the best values I have ever found, the waitstaff go out of their way to make the dining experience positive. I took a gamble on my standard Asada Platter (both beef and chicken) and wife ordered the Tampiquena plate. Portions were more than large enough and we requested flours tortillas (which did not come with the orders???). I immediately checked them out when they arrived and they were freshly cooked and if not homemade passed my standards that made them “as good as”. They did charge a nominal $1.25 for two orders of them which were more than 6 because I had 4 and she had 2 and there were a few left. Wow! Even 6 tortillas for 1.25 is a bargain I will take anytime. The quality of the meats (both pollo and carne) on each of our plates was way above average. Wife’s plate came with an enchilada which she let me take a bit (or two) of and it was different from Texas enchiladas, but still mouthwatering. Refritos were excellent and the portions were so large, I did not finish off my rice. Do yourself a favor and get the tortilla soup as an option with the meal. I would put it up there in my “top 5” tortilla soups EVER. Just spicey enough to be good, but not too hot for the wife.

Service was way above average and we were given prompt refills of both coffee and tea.

Value-Oh my. If I lived in this area, it would be on my “once a week” list. Ok, the drive (small two lane road) is a little bit of a hassle, but you would be hard pressed to find a better value. ANYWHERE.

First, they don’t charge sales tax, so you do the math. So you are pushing a 10% savings right there. The entire meal including drinks was $35.90! PERIOD! I almost got the prime rib which was $16.95 (with desert included)!

View of the golf course and lake added to the ambiance of what otherwise would have been “just another restaurant.”

The only suggestion that I would make is that the salsa, guacamole and sour cream, was served in small plastic topped condiment container which although understandable from a logistics point of view, in my opinion although necessary, could have been scooped out and simply served on a small dish.

VALUE-One of the best on the planet. 5 plus, plus
Food-Hard to beat except from your local meat market and cooked by you on your own pit. But avoid the hassle and simply let them do everything. Strong 5
Service-Way, way above average and I would give Jessenia a very high 4 or even a 5.

You won’t be disappointed. It far exceeded my expectations. If I had eaten this meal at a major hotel in downtown San Diego, I would expected the bill including tip to have been at least 3X the total price including tip we paid of $45.

Reviewed 6 September 2018

The restaurant is nicely decorated. If you are lucky, the window view is overlooking a lake. We ordered the Gambler's Short Ribs for $18.95 & the Roasted Chicken for $12.95 and both came with salted-baked potatoes & green beans. The portions are big.

Reviewed 5 September 2018

This is a great option if you don't want to stuff your face with a dozen lobsters at the buffet. Quiet, clean and service is friendly. And yes... I paid $400 for a burger... If you count losing $400 at the slots. : ( Still a great restaurant. We will be back.

1  Thank ChavSanti
Reviewed 20 August 2018 via mobile

Excellent breakfast, great service, reasonable price. My Friends and family will always come back to Barona!

Been to Sage Cafe? Share your experiences!