“Older Property but Very Clean”

La Jolla Beach Travelodge
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Kelowna, BC
“Older Property but Very Clean”
Reviewed 30 March 2012

We stayed for three days while we were visiting the La Jolla area. We chose it because it got good reviews and was within our budget. The room was older and not very big but it had everything we wanted. A comfortable king bed, TV, fridge, microwave, coffee maker with decent coffee and a very small bathroom with a large walk in shower - no tub. The room was very clean and the pool was heated - a very nice bonus. There was no inside sitting area for breakfast, but we enjoyed eating on the benches outside and in the pool area. Breakfast was basic but reasonably fresh, consisting of cereal, bagels, muffins, pastries, apples and oranges, juice, tea, and coffee. The hotel provided a 25% off coupon to the Mexican restaurant across the street - nice! We were a short walk from the beach (two short blocks and a wonderful place to watch the sunset!) and the neighbourhood is lovely and quiet. I would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chrisKelowna_BC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed 4 February 2012

My husband and I stayed here while our son was being treated for a head injury at Scripps over Christmas. The rooms are spotless, beds comfy and the fridge and microwave a big plus.There are even laundry facilities. I can't quite say why, but there was a slightly European vibe about the place. Maybe its the white with blue trim exterior, bright flowers and professional, efficient staff.The fact that the motel is not an over built, new monster-hotel was comforting. A beautiful beach is two short blocks away and a fun Mexican restaurant across the street. I hope to return, just skip the hospital visits.

Room Tip: upstairs toward back is quieter
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Shauna M
Aguanga, California
Reviewed 1 February 2012

I recently stayed at the La Jolla Travelodge in La Jolla California while my husband had surgery at the San Diego VA Hospital in La Jolla. I recieved ecellent personal service during my stay of 11 days. My room was always clean when I returned no matter what time of day. I did have problems parking my Toyota Tundra but they made special arrangements for me so that obstacle was resolved. I could have easlity walked to the beach if I would have had the time but enjoyed seeing the Ocean on my trip to and from the hospital. La Jolla is a very nice place to visit. The front desk assisted me in finding places I needed to go to during my stay. The beds are very comfortable with great pillows and enough towels to keep me very happy! I used the frig & microwave every day since Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner were spent with my husband in his hospital room.. Resturants with take out are very conveniently located.. Enjoy! Linda G

Room Tip: Ask for a room with sunrise or sunset view.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
cardiff, wales
Reviewed 25 January 2012

No doubt the Traveldoge is a bit of a mixed bag and you need to be sure that the basic motel set up works for you. If not then there are more traditional hotels in La Jolla which will take your money (and some). But for basic and clean accommodation in a brilliant location we think this place is hard to beat.
We made sure we had a room upstairs (all rooms are open to the elements) and just used it for a place to sleep; there is plenty to do within walking distance (20 mins into La Jolla; 25 to La Jolla centre), or why not pop across the road for happy hour in the Mexican restaurant?
The bed was fine and the TV worked. The bathroom is small and the shower just about OK so don't try and share it. Reception staff were lovely and didn't bat an eye when the Brits kept asking for milk to put in our cups of tea.
Overall, with the right room at the right price this place works well for those of us not travelling with deep pockets.

Room Tip: Upstairs - there are ones at the back which are away from the main car park and may be quieter.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank barneybear66
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 January 2012

This is a fairly basic motel. The room felt a little outdated. A few specs of mold in the shower stall, no biggie I can always do without that. Free WiFi is always a plus, in this case it spatters at times, which is a minus. Since I'm visiting in January, and it's pretty chilly, I really needed a heater and I discovered that the wall mounted AC has that function as well. However, the AC is old and very noisy, so you can't really run it at night. So bundle up! And finally the included breakfast is also a plus, but the arrangement of the breakfast place is pretty unique, because it in fact does not exist -- they place the food in the tiny motel lobby, you take your bagel and cream cheese and basically have to step outside, and carry your coffee as well. Not good. If you are in the city for a short business trip, this will do in a pinch, but don't plan a romantic getaway, you will be sorry. Oh yeah, since it's located on a major thoroughfare, it can get noisy in the morning, so don't plan on sleeping in.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1.6 km away
Empress Hotel
Empress Hotel
#3 of 24 in La Jolla

Been to La Jolla Beach Travelodge? Share your experiences!