“For value, and not glitz, definitely recommended” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Jolla Beach Travelodge

La Jolla Beach Travelodge
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Vancouver, Canada
“For value, and not glitz, definitely recommended”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2011

For the price, I think this is a great value. Don't expect a five-star, this is a very basic hotel but, in that range, this is definitely worth reserving. Here are the pluses: (1) the staff (they went FAR out of their way to try to get my boarding passes printed, for free, and never complained after I tried with them 9 times [a comedy of errors]), (2) location is perfect, easy to access off the main La Jolla street, parking easy and safe (well-lit, in front of rooms), about 20 min from airport, (3) breakfast (yes, very basic, but good value in the room price including coffee, orange juice, bagels and bread with toaster and jams, danishes, bran and kids cereal with two kinds of milk, apples and oranges available all day), (4) room is clean, functional, had no noise problems but wore earplugs so there could have been and we didn't notice (always where earplugs and you'll sleep anywhere great). And the pillows were clean and plush and the bed very comfortable. There weren't any minuses, just a lower standard to expect. So if you visit, drop off your stuff, go touristing, come back to sleep and have a light breakfast to start your next day, then why pay more?? Spend your savings on a great dinner or seeing the sights (George's restaurant, top floor, VERY recommended).

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Scott W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2011

We stayed for three nights on Dec. 3rd weekend. While this motel is far from new it's clean and in a great location. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I'm not a big breakfast person so the continental breakfast was adequate indeed.It has a good sized pool and spa which is in a private location. The free parking is a bonus as some places in the area charge $20 a night just for parking! I would definitely return if I were staying anywhere around San Diego as La Jolla is a very pleasant location and only minutes from the airport and other places of interest.

Room Tip: Ask for second floor.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

I want to add to the popular comments about this location. It is a cut above the usual Travelodge and well below the cost one would expect in La Jolla. Our room was well equipped with refrigerator, microwave and safe. We were in walking distance of restaurants and easy driving distance of other amenities. A surfing beach was an easy stroll away down a small street but far enough to be free of the beach crowd. The building is at an angle away from the main boulevard and so was quiet at night. The continental breakfast was adequate as so described. Pleasant (European?) management. Our son had stayed there several times and we were pleased with his recommendation.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jay_LeeSanDiego_CA
Perth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2011

accommodation clean and comfy with kitchen facilities - very good value for money staff friendly and very helpful - not having transport - bus stop at door - excellent prices - day hop on hop off - $5 - coastal walk in La Jolla is a must- not many eating places around hotel but with easy reach of Mission Bay Pacific Ocean, Ingram-,San Diego Old Town and Downtown easy connections to other areas

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2011

I have to give this motel 4 stars due to the price (I paid $70 online) and the location. It is in one of the most gorgeous and charming parts of Southern California (in my opinion, of course): La Jolla Village (and close to Del Mar, another beauty). So purely for location, I would give it high ranks. I am glad I read the TripAdvisor reviews because they are what motivated me to stay here, rather than where I usually stay in San Diego.

The motel is right off a main road in La Jolla Village, and it's a winding road you travel to get there. I enjoyed the drive as it was a gem waiting to be found. Nearby is a Von's that is open until 1am, and a 7-11 down the street from the motel. It is on a busy stretch and cars whiz by constantly but at nighttime, you don't hear the cars at all.

I arrived around midnight and the area was completely dead quiet. The motel was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. The lobby closes at 11pm so I had to ring the buzzer and a nice clerk promptly came out and checked me in. He was pleasant and efficient. The checkout is 12pm so that's very convenient and I definitely needed the extra time.

Parking is free and the parking area is a touch cramped in the front of the motel. I could see it getting full but there appeared to be some street parking as well. I did think to myself that I wouldn't want a first floor room as it would have to be quite noisy.

I had a room on the top floor so the noise level was definitely diminished. I was also behind the laundry facilities so it blocked the noise from the parking area. The walls are thin but I did not hear any of the people in the rooms next to me. I only know they are thin because I could hear housekeeping vacuuming in a room nearby, and I could hear rolling luggage and rolling garbage cans outside my door. The morning noise is a little loud and you can definitely get woken up by people exiting and housekeeping doing their job (which they do a good job of). So if you are a light sleeper, I'd advise ear plugs for the morning.

The room size was sufficient for 2 people. There was a desk with two chairs and a clean Queen bed that was fine. Bathroom was spacious. You don't get too many amenities - just towels, iron, blow dryer, soap and shampoo. WiFi was free and good.

I had a good experience here and La Jolla is a great place. I would definitely come here again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business