See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 11 July 2017

I've been staying at the Sands of La Jolla for about 10 years now. It's nothing fancy, but has a pool, very convenient to walk to local restaurants & there's a CVS store right next to it. An awesome local coffee shop Birdrock Coffee Roasters, is a 5 minute walk and there's even a Starbuck's across the street from the local coffee shop, for those of you that enjoy that. Also, you are literally about a 3 minute walk away from a little park that has amazing ocean views! Stef is friendly and helpful and hotel is clean and has plenty of parking and is super safe!

Room Tip: if you need a kitchenette, ask for their suites
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank jcbehappy
Reviewed 7 March 2017

The hotel is nothing fancy, but solid and clean and a great location, close to great businesses and the sunset overlook. I will come back. I didn't try the pool as it was a chilly weekend, but the wifi is fast and the front desk was helpful

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ShiraCKC
Reviewed 15 December 2016

Nice staff! Grounds beautiful and clean. Swimming pool clean and nice. Rooms clean and nice. A few issues once in the room, but quickly resolved. Staff very nice and apologetic. Close to the beach and shopping. Will definitely come back!

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
3  Thank Gonz6
Reviewed 18 September 2016 via mobile

I reviewed Sands of La Jolla quite favorably a few years ago. I have returned a number of times since and still felt good about it - even the year it was in the 90s while we were there and it still didn't have a/c. But this time, I just left angry. It is not cheap -we spent over $320 for two nights - but the mattresses were terrible and the amenities chintzy. But what made me angriest was the $100 deposit for which one must sign a credit card charge slip. My parents had gone without me a year or so ago and mentioned it, but I have never had to pay it -- I figured this had something to do with the fact that I had stayed there successfully a number of times before, they had my info in their computer, and I amazingly had not trashed the joint. But this time that was not the case. I choose to spend less money on hotel rooms in San Diego because I only use them to sleep. Sands of La Jolla is a fairly inexpensive place in the scheme of things, but apparently I must go elsewhere and pay more so as not to be insulted. I won't be back.

Stayed: September 2016
Reviewed 15 September 2016

The room was alright, if in need of some updating, but the noise from the street was just too much. I liked the location: you could walk around the neighborhood in safety, and the coast (not a beach) is nearby.

Stayed: September 2016