“Excellent location, mediocre rooms”

Grande Colonial La Jolla
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed 25 February 2012

The room we stayed in had very limited storage space, especially the bathroom. The furniture layout was very awkward. We did find the bed very comfortable, and the location was excellent, with everything we needed within walking distance.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sandy S
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2012

Dear Sandy -
Thanks for your note about your recent visit. It sounds like you enjoyed your trip and I'm delighted to hear your positive feedback about our location. I'm sorry, however, that your expectations weren't met with the accommodations. As I'm sure you know, we are a historic hotel (celebrating 100 years in 2013). While we continue to make investments back into the rooms, services and amenities, there is little we can do about the shape and size of our guest rooms. Some appreciate the historic charm of the rooms, some prefer something a little different. If you ever do decide to come back, I hope that you will speak with our staff about what exactly you are seeking. We have 93 rooms and each one is a little different. I know that we can find just the right fit for your personal tastes and needs. Meanwhile, I thank you again for your comments.
Terrence Underwood

There are newer reviews for Grande Colonial La Jolla

Reviewed 19 February 2012

This was our second stay a the Grand Colonial hotel. The staff is probably the nicest group of people tha we have ever encountered at a hotel! The view of our junior ocean suite was amazing. It truly was a special getaway for me and my wife!

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank travelingcouple
Reviewed 12 February 2012

After reading so many wonderful reviews and looking at the pictures, my husband was excited to find this place... The hotel is situated in a perfect spot and when you walk in the lobby is clean and beautiful. I was excited since it looked so cute, but then we got to our room and I think we must have stayed in the same room as reviewer Maryanne because the spacing was extremely awkward and the room had a weird smell to it. I can get over the older looking furniture and the dark carpet, but the space in between the bed and the wall was so small I had to almost turn sideways to get past the bed into the bathroom/dressing area! The
dressing area is huge, and the bathroom is very clean and spacious – that I love! :) But it was so awkward getting around the room that it was kind of frustrating and not relaxing at all... Very
disappointing. Maybe it's just room 204, but it left a sour taste in my mouth. Just make sure you avoid this one.

• Stayed: February 2012
4  Thank ReadySetGo_1302
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2012

Dear ReadySetGo_1302:
Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback about your recent visit to the Grande Colonial. As you know, the hotel was originally built in 1913 (suite #204 is actually located in the original building). While we continue to make improvements to the hotel (most recently completely renovating the lobby and adjacent meeting space), we are a historic property and are limited to what we can modify to the general size and architectural shape of the rooms. We have indeed looked into moving the bed to provide more space between it and the wall but the only way to do so would be to decrease the size of the existing king bed to a queen. In terms of the odor you experienced, we are checking into that, as well, to ensure it is rectified immediately. Thank you again for providing your feedback and for noticing and commenting on our new lobby. We’re pretty proud of it!
Terrence Underwood

Reviewed 10 February 2012

I stayed there for a conference held in the Sun Room in February. My room was beautiful: lovely view of the ocean on one side and a view of the pool on another, spacious, and clean. There was a little too much street noise with the windows open to concentrate or sleep, but it was fine when just relaxing. Closing the windows adequately shut out the noise. The bathroom area, as another reviewer said, was a little quirky with a huge room outside the main bath that was simply used to accommodate a double sink and closet -- made for a roomy dressing area, I guess. I liked having comfortable chairs with ottomans and a desk with chairs on both sides. Bed was very comfortable. Wireless was a little unreliable, but FREE. Conference room was a little tight so our group had to sit in a long "u" making conversation less than optimal, but the staff was willing to help us set up chairs out on the patio for a roundtable discussion when needed. Food was outstanding, both at the conference and in the restaurant. Service was also outstanding -- I had a medical issue upon arrival and the front desk had a trustworthy doctor in my room in 45 minutes. The desk staff greeted me by name each day and asked after my health. Housekeeping staff was exceptionally helpful and pleasant. Wonderful location for walking to shopping, dining, and the ocean. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: 2nd floor, back building, corner.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank distortiongirl
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Thanks so much for all your hard work!! The wedding reception was fabulous!!  The food was so outstanding and he service as well!! Thank you so much agaIn!  If we lived here we would  come there a lot!  We will have to come back for a visit!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are so different and unique. We liked the Jr Suites.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family