“Excellent small plates”

Cuisines: American, Southwestern
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Mustangs & Burros is a classic Territorial Ranch style restaurant with a cozy and intimate dining room, featuring a spacious patio reminiscent of a Spanish hacienda. Both areas feature wonderful and inviting fireplaces. Enjoy delicious small plates inspired by the Southwest and extraordinary house crafted cocktails, including innovative margaritas & our very own M & B Sangria, or join us for dinner and experience Chef Kramers' regional cuisine inspired by the season. The Mustangs & Burros Culinary Team pride themselves on utilizing locally grown and sustainable ingredients in a fresh, unique and imaginative way.
Reviewed 30 April 2017

The small plates were more than enough for a dinner. I had the duck enchilada once, and my wife had it twice. The wines were a bit on the expensive side, but excellent. The atmosphere both inside and outside is great - both have fireplaces. Service was very helpful. We had a disabled guest one night, and the server couldn't have been more attentive or helpful.

1  Thank Lee P

Reviewed 11 April 2017

I had a light dinner at Mustangs & Burros because I was staying in Estancia La Jolla--the hotel and spa where the restaurant is located. It's a bar with a nice outside terrace and pleasant inside atmosphere, too. I had the duck enchiladas, which were delicious, and a very good (albeit expensive) margarita. Service was very good.

Reviewed 11 April 2017

After walking 12,000 steps at UCSD Triton day and Sunset Cliff walk, Mustangs & Burros was exactly what the foot doctor ordered. It was a lovely outdoor dining area, but it was a bit chilly, so we asked for the table next to the fireplace. It had been reserved by another for 7 pm, but it was 5:15, so they sat us there. Casual decor, but really amazing food. The short ribs and fish tacos were really good. The broccoli soup was to-die for, as was the rigatoni with a vegetable sauce. The wait staff was excellent (efficient, good timing and welcoming). We will definitely go back.

EstanciaHotelManager, Manager at Mustangs & Burros, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2017

Dear ucsdmom,
We’re delighted to hear you enjoyed the perfect meal at Mustangs & Burros after your tour of UCSD. Our tacos are certainly a guest favorite! On behalf of our team, we look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 28 February 2017

Great indoor or outdoor seating, with log fires lit, and beautiful lighting. Food was good, but a fairly limited choice. Desserts were excellent. Good service.

1  Thank Samina I
Reviewed 16 February 2017

My wife and I took my Mom there for lunch on Sunday. It was a beautiful warm San Diego winter day so we sat outside.The fireplace was going and and the surroundings could not be more pleasant and the service was first-rate. The downside was the food. Maybe it is just that we were there lunch, but the menu was very limited. Considering how expensive it was, the food was just average. In fact, my Mom's fish tacos were dry and she ended up sending them back. They took them off our bill, but it was a poor culinary showing. If you are going for the ambiance, or maybe just for drinks, I would recommend it. If you are going for the food, there are better places.

1  Thank Kent L