9 people are viewing this hotel
Expedia.comUSD 380
Hotels.comUSD 373
FindHotelUSD 380
1,392 results
All reviews top floor cusp restaurant floor restaurant ocean view san diego short walk to the beach kimpton driveway balconies california
Selected filters
Reviewed 1 July 2016

Very satisfied with our stay. Beautiful Hotel and Close to everything. Would recommend to family and friends and would stay there again. Loved the social afternoon by the pool, the pool was nice and warm water.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Curio – A Collection by Hilton
Reviewed 1 July 2016

I have stayed here more than a dozen times over the past 3 years, so I have witnessed first hand the downward trajectory since the hotel went from a Kimpton to a Hilton. Where do I begin? The employees try hard but they do not look happy anymore. There are cups and even trash left around (notably poolside). Social hour with wine is long gone (oh, except on Wednesdays, when they advertise 5-6:30PM but don't show up until 5:30 with 4 bottles of wine...). Bike tires scrape against the brake pads now (never before). And my top two complaints: check in and "coffee." I'll start with check in:
There is no way, if you check in early, to get your room prioritized for cleaning based on earlier arrival (when other rooms have incoming customers who haven't checked in,,). I arrived at noon and was told my room would be expedited and ready by 3 at the latest. Cool. Took a bike (with tire scraping brake pad -- no prob, extra workout) down to the cove and returned at 3. Oops. No room available. I have seaweed hanging off me from snorkeling and no shower, 3:30, nope, try 4. OK ya had 4 hours to get someone in the room. I asked the desk clerk "So I guess there really is no such thing as expedited room service, right?" and she said "right," to which I responded they just shouldn't have said that there had no control over the people cleaning rooms and I would have planned accordingly. Be honest folks. If you can't communicate with your room service staff just say so.
On to the coffee. Kimpton used to have a real coffee and tea service, up and out by 6am. This pales in comparison. I can deal with that but use common sense. Don't put out one tiny pitcher of some kind of (unlabeled) milk product which is empty 90% of the time. The front desk calls someone who runs down (10 min wait) to retrieve the little empty pitcher (yes she didn't just bring a new one, she had to refill the old one!!) and another 10 min - presto she's back with about one cup of something white. OMG. All I can say. Wine hour was just about as pathetic (at least 2-3 trips down (1) 4 bottles (2) the ice bucket (3) the glasses........and on, and on, and on. It's not rocket science folks. Just do what Kimpton did and you'll keep the old Kimpton customers. I am already looking elsewhere. I feel generous giving an average rating, as a Holiday Inn or Hampton Suites would do much better.

Trip type: Travelled on business
3  Thank heyarl1
Reviewed 27 June 2016

Not the best place for kids, excellent location in La Jolla Shores. Not informed kitchen was close between 2 and 4pm, that would have helped to know with hungry family. Breakfast was delicious as is the view from the restaurant on the top floor.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Curio – A Collection by Hilton
Reviewed 26 June 2016

This was the perfect hotel for my stay in La Jolla. The beach was a few blocks away, as were quite a few restaurants. The shuttle service will take you to the village (shopping, food, seals) and pick you up for free, even though it is out of their 1 mile limit.

The room was older, but I had no issues with it. Booked a king and was given two queens - I didn't mind because it was just me traveling. Floors could have been vacuumed better before or during my stay. There was a coffee pot in the room, but it was not a Keurig (I include this because other reviews mentioned the lack of coffee pots or the availability of Keurigs).

The view was the best part - I was on floor 6. Anything on that floor or higher is worth paying for the ocean view rooms. Stunning! The balconies were tiny, but just what I needed. Fantasic for sitting and watching the water and sunsets.

The only real downsides to staying here is that there must be a fire station nearby. Out of my 4 nights, 3 of them were interrupted multiple times with sirens in the late night/early morning hours. If you're a heavy sleeper, this won't be an issue.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank MsLindsey2
Reviewed 25 June 2016

Only got to stay one night on a short trip to San Diego, but we really loved this hotel. The lobby and room were both so cute and we had a great time at the restaurant up stairs. Beautiful sunset view from the restaurant! Would have loved to have spent some time at the outdoor bar area.

Date of stay: May 2016