“Stay somewhere else!”

Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Los Angeles, CA
“Stay somewhere else!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

Where to begin? Check in... took 20 minutes since the desk person could not find me a room, said it was very full. Then told me there was no bellman to help with bags, since hotel was not full enough! Hotel is NOT a hotel, it is more like a series of motels, and the section I was in did not have an elevator, just outside concrete stairs.
The 'upgraded' room I got (I am a Gold Starwood) had a bathroom that in order to use or close the door, you needed to stand on the toilet, or climb on the sink. It was maybe 3' x 5' all in.
Then, at 1:20am there was a party in the center Jacuzzi (this was the side of the building the check in woman said was quiet). Big party. Called front desk as I woke up from the noise, they sent security, who just asked them to be quieter!!!!!! Of course, the minute he walked away, the party was even louder. Had to threaten to call San Diego police to get motel to tell them to get out of the Jacuzzi.
Ordered room service breakfast. Waiter shows up with no mug for the coffee (it was in a carafe!), no utensils (how to put jam on the toast???)... and the coffee was lukewarm at best.
This place is an old Radisson. Sheraton needs to tear it down, and get a new operator/management company.
Stay in any of the other hotels or motels in the area.......(was visiting nephew at UCSD), there are plenty of hotels in the area.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Cartlady
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Hello Cartlady,

Thank you for sending your comments regarding your recent stay. I do apologize that this was not an enjoyable stay for you. A twenty-minute check-in is certainly not the norm here, and I do know that our front desk agents took extra time by doing their best to offer multiple room options to you and explain the various access options (such as without an elevator) and also dispatched a member of our maintenance team to assist with luggage and escort you to your room. In any case, I am very sorry that your room was not comfortable in regards to the size of the bathroom. I know that your stay was further interrupted by the late-night gathering at the pool deck and I certainly do apologize for the amount of time it took to get the party removed from the area. Please know that I have passed your comments about the room service to our Food and Beverage Director so that he may follow up with his staff. If your travels bring you back to La Jolla I would be happy to assist with reservations to ensure that you are booked in a fantastic room type and that issues like this will be avoided. It is important to note that when you book through a third party, as was the case during this particular stay, that you do not get the normal SPG benefits. This is a policy throughout Starwood, not just the Sheraton la Jolla. I would love to make sure that we are able to offer the entirety of benefits to you, which now includes a Welcome Gift for our Gold Members! I hope we will have another opportunity to show you the very best of the Sheraton La Jolla.

Kate Ruskofsky
Revenue Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Fort St. John, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

From the moment we walked up to the front desk we were treated like Royalty! First treat was being upgraded to a 'club' room (I think because we used SPG royalty points to book)but it was facing the hwy so I asked if we could get one facing the inner courtyard/pool. Ari worked at it for a few minutes with a smile on her face and had us switched in no time. Any staff we ever met during our 5 day stay always had a smile for us and asked if we needed anything. I landed with a bad headcold and our room was perfectly quiet and serene. We took most of our meals at the hotel because I wasn't up to going out and we were extremely happy with every meal! Tom and Janine in Murphys were upbeat and fun ! Tom remembered our names the next night we ate there ! How often does that happen? Beds and sheets were fabulous which was greatly appreciated! I would highly recommend this property to anyone that would listen! We'll be back. The best Sheraton experience so far for us!

Room Tip: rooms facing pool and spa are supposedly best for quiet but we loved the view also.
Thousand Oaks, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

I have stayed at this property a few times and have not had any problems. Rooms are clean, comfortable, quiet, and a good location to UCSD and the VA hospital.

I generally go for conferences which are held at other hotels in La Jolla. I choose to stay here because of the value. SInce I went to UCSD some years ago I also enjoy walking around campus when I have some free time.

A few negatives.... the decorating done in Humphery's (the onsite restaurant) is atrocious. Apparently the owner does her own decorating and I don't think anyone has bothered to tell her that she needs a pro to do this for her. The harsh orange/red paintings make one feel as if they are diving through Dante's Inferno while diving through their pancakes. The lilac mini orchids on all the tables are a nice touch but clash horribly with the general theme. I'm not even quite sure about the theme as the place serves up French cuisine for dinner yet has a somewhat Southeast Asian / tropical feel to it.

The Bar is nice. Quiet and simple with nighly live music. Mostly acousitic unplugged style with popular karaoke on Saturday nights.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank drill-n-fill
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

This was a very cozy hotel nestled on a beautiful property in La Jolla, CA. I was very impressed with the hotel staff. Every employee throughout the hotel greeted us with a smile whenever we walked by them. The room was very clean and the bed was very comfortable. Sleeping was easy because it was a very quiet hotel. If you are staying here, I definitely recommend that you eat at their restaurant. I absolutely loved having breakfast there. The food was delicious. The location of the hotel is in close walking distance to several restaurants, movie theaters and other shops. Thanks for a great stay!

1 Thank travellingguy84
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at the Sheraton La Jolla. Our room was elegant and certainly clean. We had a small fridge, microwave, iron, hair dryer and even an umbrella (that we did not need to use since the weather was so nice). All the employees that we interacted with were friendly, efficient, and went out of their way to help out..... Special thanks to Linda who suggested great tourist sites and smoothed out our check out. The hotel is in a great location with easy access to downtown, the airport, the zoo .... Great time and can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the pool.
1 Thank M T