All reviewsoutdoor showerotres beachfree welcome drinkbar restaurantfish tacosindividual bungalowstuk tukexpensive hotelrainy seasonnearby islandsother resortsother placessihanoukville areasun loungersconstruction sitecambodian standardsowners and staff
Reviewed 14 June 2018

I stayed here with friends and family for a special beach wedding. The staff went out of their way to help with anything we needed, and the facilities are wonderful. From the comfortable, well-appointed rooms (where little details really count), to the outside shower, sparkling pool and delightful airy restaurant, great care and attention to detail is evident everywhere. Think relaxing on a sun lounger, massages, delicious cocktails, warm breeze and a delicious ocean. An absolute must - and I will be back. Thank you Secret Garden - to everyone - you made this a stay to remember :)

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank lisaF2567
Reviewed 13 June 2018

I have lived in Phnom Penh for nearly a decade, and Secret Garden is my very favorite place in Cambodia. I go two-three times a year. Once in awhile it's booked up and I stay somewhere else nearby and am always disappointed. There are certainly fancier places and it's not as cheap as it used to be, but it is a beautiful spot, nice rooms, lovely pool, and a fantastic restaurant with lots of options (including vegetarian and gluten-free). I have a small child and it's very kid-friendly.

Room Tip: Book way early for the smaller/cheaper rooms
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank crkm
Reviewed 12 June 2018

I stayed here with my family for three nights and had a sublime experience. For the price, I cannot fault it. Upon arriving late, after a long drive down from Phnom Penh, the staff went out of their way to conjure up some delightful food, even though the restaurant was technically closed. The food continued to delight throughout our stay, with the stuffed squid and the fish and chips particularly exquisite. The room (a mini-suite) was spacious, clean, beautifully decorated, and had those touches of finesse that give that 'wow factor'.

The location is perfect, right on the beach, with a splendid swimming pool in close proximity to the bungalows.

All said, this will now be the 'go to' place for my family when we seek to escape the chaos for a few days.

Highly recommended!

Stan

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Norman S
Reviewed 9 June 2018 via mobile

Don’t be fooled by the nonchalance of this down to earth beach front restaurant and bar. This is where wind whips through your hair as it whipped up awards too. Although service is Belgian slow, the food really makes up for it. The presentation is painstakingly brilliant. The chilli is splintered to look like Stranger Things Dermagorgon like. The taste is great. I vote this as the best restaurant on the otherwise grotty stretch. Plus the cocktails are creatively named. Fetching a few chuckles as you run down the happy hour list.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 June 2018

Ok, looking at the vastness of positive comments my wife and I decide to stay 2 nights here. First the good -
The garden is lovely , The bungalows are set amoungst stunning tree and plants, beautiful, fresh and very calming on the soul. The pool is clean and lovely the bed is comfortable, sheets and pillow cases are clean. Modern and very comfortable. Outdoor shower adds a touch of jungle looking not too which we like.
Overall all staff were friendl and accommodating and mostly professional.

Now, the reason for only 3 stars, ( if I would have selected 2.5 I would have) Food, Whilst a nice setting and a good sleep makes a happy visitor, good food is very important and our feeling was apart from one dish the food was inadequate in quality.
Fish and chips, the fish was slightly raw. Iced coffee tasted like a coffee that was once warm but then just left in the fridge to cool, that's not how an iced coffee is made, with amazing beans grown all over this nation , no excuses for bad coffee. American breakfast , ok but the friend egg was over cooked on the underside and undercooked on the top side. passion cheese cake, not even plain, just an over cooked blob of ingredients that Gordon Ramsey would have sworn at.
Addittionally the usual Khmer attentiveness to its patrons was absent, whilst there were plenty of restaurant staff, they were all too busy playing on their phones to notice my wives 3 minutes of beckoning for some salt and pepper that should have been present on the table any way. Aside this and the irritating jazz din that should have been at a lower volume, the ambience there is nice.
Two things that need mentioning that the hotel isn't directly responsible for but could influence,
1. Periodically the neighbours spray huge plume of toxic pesticide (few times a month the manager said) we were walking afar on the beach and smelt it, what people need to learn is whilst it may kill mozzies in its path, the plume contributes towards human cancer, not something I want to pick up on my secret garden experience.
2. Some barang (Khmer word for any foreigner) decided to smoke pot first thing in the morning in the bungalow next to ours. Whilst it's not the fault of management on the habits of some barang long haired, tattooed western loser, they should have stoped and educated this hippy on being considerate.

Finally, I realise the manager is very efficient at responding to not so positive comments with a justification and a polite apology, no need, just fix the issues first !

Apology for typos, on a bus,
Daniel