See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 10 July 2013

As others have already said, don't expect 5* luxury, as the huts are simple, but clean and comfortable. We had a great stay, but you need to be ok with a few insects and the occasional frog! We had a couple of power-cuts, but the owners gave us a light, so it wasn't a massive issue.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2013

My boyfriend and I stay in one of the bungalows for one week. The bungalows themselves were lovely: clean, free wifi, bright colours and provided everything needed. We also did not mind the non-existent bathroom door but I can imagine that this might be inconvenient for others.

Compared to average prices in Cambodia, both bungalows and breakfast and a bit more expensive. However, we had been living and traveling around Asia for 6 months and I was really looking forward to a German breakfast. Being German myself I found it easy to speak to the owners and thought they were very friendly and helpful.

There were a couple of lizards (one big one and several tiny ones) and a frog in our bungalow as frequent visitors but I think that is part of the deal - if you mind animals you should probably go to a hotel instead ;)

From my perspective, there were only two main disadvantages
- the bed was not very comfortable
- the bowl with the water for the toilet attracts mosquitoes like crazy

I would definitely recommend this place :)

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2013

The "Don't tell Mama" was our first stay during our Cambodia-Trip. Before we booked three nights (and even afterwards), I had lots of questions (about getting there, the bungalow and Cambodia/Sihanoukville in general), which were all answered patiently by Ulla and Peter via e-mail. When we finally arrived, it was around midnight! But "check-in" was no problem at all. Peter got up (he and his wife had already settled for bed), showed us our bungalow and gave us the key. The paperwork was done the next morning. I really loved "Don't tell Mama" to be that non-bureaucratic!

The bungalow itself was spacious, nicely furnished and clean! The bed was comfortable and had a huge mosquito net. Due to its location on Otres Beach it was very quiet at night. We enjoyed that, slept very well and always felt safe (not least because of buddy the dog ;-)).

We also loved breakfast, which is served on a terrace above the reception-area. You can see the ocean from there and enjoy a little breeze. It's also nice to read or relax up there (there is a rack with left behind books from other travelers). When we had questions about where to rent a scooter, where to go in town to get certain stuff, ... - Ulla was always helpful and had great tips for us.

The beach - well, that's not "Dont tell Mama"'s fault - is just ok. As long as you stay on the end where all the other bungalows are, it gets cleaned. Walking further left (from "Don't tell Mama") you will find lots of rubbish. The sea is ok too - but nothing more. It's not crystal clear, but rather a little bit greenish/brownish (at least it was, when we were there), cause all the sewage water from the bungalows has to go somewhere (probably). You can still go swimming there, but if you are sensitive about that kind of stuff, stick to the left hand side, where the beach is dirty, but the sea gets cleaner. But compared to the other beaches in Sihanoukville, Otres Beach is really the nicest option!!!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 May 2013

My stay was relaxing and enjoyable altogether. The place is clean and well-maintained. With just a few meters of walking distance from the beach, it is centrally located but secluded. The owners are friendly and helpful. Overall a good place to recommend.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 April 2013

We booked our place on hostelworld as we arrived at 6am and wanted to have somewhere to go. We arrived at the hotel before 7am, and let us check in straight away for no extra charge. We were very impressed and happy about that. We were paying about $15 a night, for a room with shared bathroom. It was an authentic bungalow, with thatched roof and bamboo walls. It was a couple of minutes walk to the beach as its right down the back of their block against the paved road. Unfortunately <and of no fault of the hotel> on our second night a really loud couple of guys checked into the room below us (I'm talking drunken shouting for a couple of hours at 2am), so we decided to move.

The bungalows at other places on the beach side of the road are the same price ($15), but you can't book them online, so it's a bit of a trade off.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1 in the block of four rooms at the back. They aren't very sound proof and you can hear EVERYTHING that goes on in the other rooms. Toilet included.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple