“A NICE GET AWAY”
other travellers have booked this property
Entry of the Sequoia cottage Back patio / barbeque area
More of living area
one of the two bedrooms
Bedroom facing Sierra Way
View from the Riverbend cottage
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

bolad1218
Bakersfield, California
“A NICE GET AWAY”
Reviewed 23 July 2016 for a stay in July 2016

We enjoyed our stay. It was a nice and relaxing get away. To top everything off Carla had a delicious chocolate cake and a birthday card waiting for my husband. I don't think it is a birthday that he will soon forget.Thank you!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The cabin overall was great!
Liked least: There were some black widows on the front porch.
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups
Richard A
Moreno Valley, California
“perfect location”
Reviewed 27 June 2016 for a stay in June 2016

we did a middle of the week stay for fishing and were pleasantly surprised at how nice the cabin was, very clean , quiet, and parking was plentiful. Walking distance to market, deli , the brewery , and pizza. A very short drive to center of town. Now if your looking for full service , go somewhere else so you don't feel compelled to bash the décor. Hey we had a TV , Wi-Fi, and a full size fridge , what the heck more do you want. And Carla was great.
As we were leaving, the Erskine fire had started and had already taken 100 homes , heart goes out to those folks, those are the people that make the Kern so great!

Liked best: Loacation , location ,location
Liked least: The shower quite small, but no deal breaker.
Travelling group: Friends
Your age range 50-64
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Management Response
27 Jun 2016
Thank you, Richard! We are happy you had a good time. Remember it is the fishing, not the catching :) We pride ourselves on providing our guests with a comfortable stay and privacy. We love our decor and are always available for any service that may be needed. We are a phone call away and love our guests!
Carla
kenneths1...
Riverside
“Another great visit to the Kern”
Reviewed 5 May 2016 for a stay in April 2016

I have been staying at the Sequoia Lodge for over 10 years and each year it gets nicer. The hosts are always friendly and helpful and treat you like a true guest. I go there at least once a year on a "guy" fly fishing trip and again once or twice on a family trip. There are many beautiful places to visit, dine, and relax (fly fishing being #1 on the relax list). I have seen good and bad years for fishing, but the accommodations and friendliness of the staff never falters from exceptional.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The fishing theme of the rooms, nice barbecues on the patio, private fishing waters just down the stairs from the lodge to the river
Liked least: Cheyenne's restaurant across the street once once great but has faltered. It was really convenient, but now we go into town or cook for ourselves
Travelling group: Extended Family
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
shellyo20...
Los Angeles, California
“Nice little cottage; the management...not so much.”
Reviewed 10 September 2015 for a stay in September 2015

My family and I had a pleasant stay even though we got off to a rocky start. Upon entering the cottage, it appeared to be a sweet charming place to stay. Rooms were well organized and the overall appearance of the cottage was clean. The front porch was a great place to wind down after a long day and the back patio was a wonderful place to BBQ or just hang out with the family. I just want to be clear and say that the overall appearance of the cottage was wonderful, I have no complaints whatsoever about the property itself. In fact, had I not had such a terrible experience with the property manager, I may have considered staying here again or even recommending it to a friend. Now, upon entering the cottage (although it appeared clean), there was a small ant problem. Ants aren't a huge issue for me as I have had to deal with them at one point or another in my own house. A little bug spray or ant baits will usually do the trick to get rid of them. And that's just what I did. This is where my problem comes in. As I was spraying the area where the ants were (on the floor by the kitchen stove and around the front door) I started going along the floor board to make sure I was covering the entire perimeter to get rid of all of the ants. That's when I pulled the living room couch forward and saw mouse droppings. Ok, so again, I am not a hard person to please. I thought "no biggie" get a broom and sweep them up and maybe let the manager know that they might have a problem with vermin. I'm sometimes a little naïve when it comes to helping people. I think I'm helping them and they take it as insult. Well, at least that was my experience with Carla [--] (the manager). After seeing mouse droppings behind the couch, my wheels started spinning. If there's mouse droppings behind the couch, where else might there be mouse droppings? Turned out there was mouse droppings behind the TV stand in the living room, the living room closet, both bedroom closets, and in the bathroom behind the toilet. It was at that point that I told my cousin that we needed to call the manager. I was not putting anything out (food or drinks) nor my suitcases in closets with mouse droppings present. You think I'm crazy for that right? Carla apparently thought I was. When I was on the phone with her, I did mention the ants but that they weren't the problem. However, the mouse droppings were a problem. Before I could make any suggestions as to what can be done to take care of this, she didn't let me get a word in edgewise and was extremely rigid and aggressive in talking AT me. She explains to me how we're in a drought, (because no one who lives in CA knows that right?) and that was the reason for the mice and ants. They come down towards the river for water. She then continues on how they're very diligent about their cleanliness with their cottages. She also mentions their high ratings on Trip Advisor. I responded saying that I wasn't challenging the cleanliness of their cottages and yes I had seen their ratings. That was the whole reason I chose to stay there in the first place. She sarcastically asks me if I suggest they set up mouse traps during our stay and if that would then make me happy. I couldn't tell if her attitude was due to dealing with problematic patrons, maybe she thought I was trying to work her for a discount, or if she was just an unpleasant person. I said that wasn't necessary. It seemed to me she didn't believe it. I have the photos to prove what I saw and where in the cottage I saw it. Before I could get another word in edgewise (again) she says she'll send someone out the next day to clean the cottage. I told her that I would be 100% satisfied with that. When I was talking to Carla, her attitude toward me was that I didn't know what I was talking about, the mouse droppings were not a big deal (and normal) since we were out in nature. It was apparent to me that my concern was not HER concern. It seemed as though she was trying to school me on a place that I had clearly already told her I had been visiting for over 30 years, I had stayed in different types of establishments in and around town, and had never had a problem with seeing vermin droppings. Seriously speaking; if I wanted to deal with animals and bugs invading my personal space, I would have camped. So the following day, a man and woman came out to do the cleaning. The seemed to be nice. Didn't really comment on anything regarding the conversation I had with Carla. I can't say I blame them after my experience with her the day prior. Again, here we go with whole drought issue, we're out in nature, etc. If you're from the city, you apparently don't know anything about living in nature or the drought situation. The cleaning lady and man did their thing. They saw the mouse droppings for themselves. Not once did Carla apologize when I talked to her initially on the phone about the problem nor follow up with me as to whether or not the cleaning was satisfactory or if everything was ok. If you're reading this Carla, my advice to you is that you should be nicer to paying customers. I will never stay at your establishment ever again nor will I recommend it to family and friends who visit Kernville as well. You were very rude to me and unprofessional when I was being nice in my speaking to you about the mouse droppings. I have worked in hospitality myself and that kind of work ethic you displayed (all around) would have gotten me fired. I don't expect much from you, much like when I initially called you about the vermin issue except to maybe apologize and suggest what can be done to rectify the situation. I waited a few days before submitting my review because I was extremely upset but then I just had to come to the conclusion that you can only understand from your level of perception. My advice to future guests, while Sierra Gateway I'm sure is a nice place to stay, be aware that should you need anything from management or have any issues or concerns during your stay; you've been warned. Lastly, stand your ground should you have a run in with Carla. It is NOT ok to treat paying patrons this way. And it is OK to complain if your cottage has mouse droppings.

Liked best: Location
Liked least: Management practices
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
14 Sep 2015
Dear Guests,
Thank you for the time in submitting this review. Our guests are our priority and we treat them as such. Our conversation was very brief and I am unable to understand how you felt I had a bad attitude or was rude. We got there at our earliest time to take care of your concerns. However my problem is that you make it sound as if the mouse droppings were old and had been there continually. We had just mopped and painted all the floors the Tuesday prior to your arrival. The visiting mouse was something I was not aware of and I do apologize for not having seen him / her. Please let me offer my apologies if I sounded less than friendly as that was never my intention. I mentioned setting a trap not to be sarcastic but rather to see if that was what you wanted me to do.
Never did I feel I was rude to you. Your words are accusatory and incorrect in describing the situation. Certainly if I had knew you felt this way I would have come to speak to you directly. You would have found me to be pleasant and [professional. It is my goal that my guests leave our property happy and ready to return.
Carla
Central Coast
Reviewed 11 November 2010 for a stay in September 2008

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check-in / front desk Service
Travelling group: Other
Your age range 25-34
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing