“eastern sierra gem”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Germany
“eastern sierra gem”
Reviewed 16 October 2011

gull lake lodge is in the town of june lake. june lake is a great location to explore the eastern sierra and yosemite high country (35 min drive).
its a small two story motel, but the rooms are large. full kitchen, extra bedroom and large bathroom. ideal for families. my room was clean, well equipped and everything was working.
if you look for a place close to yosemites tioga pass entrance i would prefer june lake to the town of lee vining. its about 15 min extra driving. there are more restaurnts around and the hotels are of better quality. besides the beautyful scenery of "june lake loop" is an extra bonus.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Canyonlands2008

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Oakland
Reviewed 7 October 2011

We had to cancel our reservation over 3 days prior to the trip. When the reply e-mail did not mention a refund, I called to inquire. Prior to calling, I checked both my e-mail and the site and could not find any mention of refund policy. The front desk clerk told me that the refund policy was "clearly" stated in both the e-mail and on the site--you had to cancel 7 days ahead of time. Apparently, on the site, you have to scroll to the bottom of the reservations page (something you would not do if you click on the calendar at the top). My e-mail had absolutely no language regarding cancellation -in any size print--it only confirmed the reservation. When I told the young lady (sounded like she was in her twenties) that I was looking at the e-mail they sent and there was no information on cancellations, she told me and I quote: "You sound like a liar. You probably deleted it." (Not sure what her logic was here on why I would delete an e-mail, just so I could argue with her?) I was and am highly insulted to hear such a defamatory comment from her. I do admit in the moment I called her an expletive (the first time I have ever done this to a clerk--she does get the award for getting me the maddest in over 50 years of travel). I do apologize for being drawn down to her level. I should have been more professional. Extremely unprofessional establishment.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank AARP_Traveler_11
monosupe, Owner at Gull Lake Lodge, responded to this review, 20 October 2011
I apologize for your experience. Unfortunately,because our cancellation policy is listed clearly on all confirmations and our website, we were unable to return your deposit. The only reason that we do take a $100.00 in advance is so that people take the time to read and understand out policy. My beloved manager of 5 years ( who has three teenage children) has all the patience required to run a front office and deal with the general public. Some experiences are worse than others. AARP traveler actually used an expletive twice at her and told her she was a lawyer. I am not sure what she was trying to do but in the process she acting horribly to my employee. I have told Kim that she should never have be treated that way by people who think they can get their way through anger. Unfortunately that day she did, and it ruined her day. Our customer base is 80% repeat, multiple-generations of family that keep coming back every year. Please read our other review to get an idea of how friendly Kim and the staff truly are. Thanks, Vikki
california
Reviewed 12 September 2011

While this is not the most beautiful hotel ive ever stayed in (looks like an old '50s motel), it is the best stocked, clean, inviting for dogs and comfortable one i've stayed in a long time. The kitchen was a complete surprise and everytime I said to myself, "dishcloth?" or "coffee?" or "dish soap?"---it miraculously appeared in the most appropriate spot! I found the staff to be most accomodating and the location to be perfectly located for a walk to town or the lake. The towels were soft and fluffy and the bed comfortable. We will definitely be returning.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank chivato09
Northwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2011

Price competitive for a family of 5 esp compared to high prices in nearby Lee Vining. We had a 2 room suite with 2 futons for 3 people in the living room as well as the two double beds in the bedroom. Additional kitchen had full cooker and massive fridge. No aircon but we didn't need it. Great value for money with small choice of restaurants nearby for dinner and breakfast.

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank Cream_Crackered_Dad
Ojai, California
Reviewed 26 August 2011

This is a well-run, very clean motel. It's not fancy and the price is right. Dog friendly. Close to June and Gull lakes. Easy walk to town. After many trips to June Lake, this will now be our motel of choice.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
0.3 km away
June Lake Villager
June Lake Villager
#3 of 7 in June Lake

Been to Gull Lake Lodge? Share your experiences!