All reviews big cat cabin strawberry hill window seat loft cabin magical experience expansive views bird watching screened in porch wonderful stay lounge chairs chuck mountains comfort serenity sofa oaks trees
Reviewed 30 May 2008

We stayed at Strawberry Hill Cabin 05MAY08 for 2 days.
The cabin had lots of charm and History. As soon as we entered the cabin we knew we had made the right decision. The music selection was great, the fireplace was romantic, and the
patio was a nice bonus. The night storms really put you to sleep.. and the morning fog was magical. I guess the only
sad part was to see the aftermath of the fires. The fires really devestated the area. We saw all sorts of wild life.. Including deer having their afternoon snacks in the garden near BigCat.

We had dinner at Jeremy's On The Hill. Their food was out
of this world!!! A new restaurant, and a must if you plan on visiting Julian!

Heads up to the Staff of this charming place @ Pine Hills.
Good Job!!

Terrance and Apple

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Redman67
Reviewed 14 January 2008

I get bored really easily, I must admit. So I was skeptical of staying in what seemed like the middle of nowhere in a rustic cabin in Julian, California.But I knew my wife would probably like it, so we booked a weekend stay. That was three stays ago, and I can honestly say that given the chance to stay anywhere in Southern California, Big Cat would be my choice, hands down!

If you need to unwind and relax, this is Mecca. Whether it is curled up with a good book in front of the beautiful rock fireplace, or napping in the afternoons on a lounge in front of the cabin with your I-pod playing your favorite music, or sipping a cup of coffee on the back porch watching and watching scores of birds positioning themselves to eat their breakfast from the bird feeder and sipping from the bowl of water at your feet while you wait for the invariable flock of wild turkeys and /or family of dear to come by to pay their respects as they go about their morning routine; there is nothing that melts your anxiousness or pent up stress quite like Big Cat.

No TV...no problem! I am slave to that thief too much as it is! Julian, the town is only a mile away as the crow flies, so we can take quick trips to town to enjoy the tasty cuisine that multiple restaurants have to offer. Look up "Apple pie" in the dictionary and it says "See Julian".

Enough of the flowery descriptions. If you want to relax and unwind, enjoy the beauty of God's handiwork, eat good food, enjoy a beautifully rustic, but well appointed cabin in the mountains, then you have to give Big Cat a shot! Just give Chuck and Nan a call...they are the ultimate hosts: friendly, thoughtful, very knowledgeable, and virtually invisible most of the time. Just don't reserve the days we want!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CommanderTom
Reviewed 31 October 2007

Oh My, we loved our stay at the Cabin on Strawberry Hill. I had researched the area around Julian searching for something other than the usual motels for our visit. The Cabin on Strawbery Hill is stand alone and self contained but you are also nicely looked after by Chuck and Nan if you so desire.

As we entered the cabin soft music was playing on the CD, the green leather couch set in front of the red fire place called our names but the view drew us outside. We could sit on the screened porch or outside, on wooden rocking chairs or a willow settee. We tried them all and even moved the rockers outside so we could enjoy the sunset with a glass of wine. We read, dozed, slept cozily in the big bed, talked and didn't talk in front of the fire.

The kitchen was well stocked with juice, water, eggs, fabulous apple bread and the basic spices including a bulb of fresh garlic. Coffee beans were ready to be ground for our morning coffee and there is nothing quite like fresh ground French roast on a foggy morning by the fire. We had planned on eating most of our meals out but so hated to leave that we ended up eating out only twice.

We enjoyed the deer, the dense fog that isolated us so cozily our second night, the Hungarian restaurant Chuck recommended and most memorably the sixteen wild turkeys that gobbled us awake one morning.

Will we go back? We certainly hope to. Will we recommend to others? Most definitely if you can appreciate the experience of a beautiful artisan cabin, absolute quite outside your door, cozy flannel sheets and the lack of hustle, bustle and car traffic.

Is this the place for everybody? Thank Goodness, No.

Thank you Chuck and Nan. We enjoyed our visit, chatting with you and seeing all you have created. Sincerely, Cathy and Gary

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ladicate
Reviewed 6 July 2007

Let me start off by saying this, there is no A/C, no television, no drapes in the bedroom and no barriers to hearing the nature outside in the morning. But, that is exactly why we chose Big Cat Cabin. In celebrating our anniversary we decided to take some time away from the hectic grind of life. We had a beautiful and peaceful short stay and we can't wait to come back. We enjoyed the architecture of the cabin and the unique touches that only Nan and Chuck could think of. We never left the cabin and the property because we were so in love with it. We spent hours bird watching, walking, relaxing and enjoying nature and each other. We played Scrabble for hours.........something that our busy lifestyles and big screen tv have deterred us from doing in the past. We enjoyed watching the wild turkeys, the spotting of deer and the beautiful forest. Chuck and Nan are the best. They took the time to explain things to us and share some of their stories and history of the wonderful property. I can't say enough good things about these people and their lovingly cared for properties. We live on a budget and the price for this cabin was worth every penny. We don't usually have the opportunity to indulge like this and it was so worth it. THANK YOU and I hope that we are back soon to experience the snow.

Stayed: July 2007
2  Thank alikac
Reviewed 2 February 2007

My girlfriend and I wanted to get out of town for my birthday. Someplace cozy, someplace quiet. We looked, online and in books, at many places all over Southern California, but there was something about the description of these cabins that caught our eye.

The creators of the cabins, are loving, creative, thoughtful people and that comes through in not only the craftsmanship of the cabins but in every aspect of the experience.

If you are looking for HBO and climate control, you might want to look somewhere else, the Ritz Carlton it is not. This is a place where the level of caring is based on the understated details and elegant simplicity.

Strawberry Hill was perfect for the two of us. We wanted to spend some time together away from it all. It was what we were looking for, beyond what we could have asked.

We look forward to bringing our friends with us to the larger Artists' Loft next time.

Thank you Chuck and Nan.