Review Highlights
Wanted to See what Inspired the Calfornia Gold Rush

If you are taller than 5'10", be careful about bumpting your head in some places of the gold mine... read more

Reviewed yesterday
Bill S
Carlsbad, California
Great day

Nice place to visit especially if you have kids. The staff were friendly. It is like a travel back... read more

Reviewed 6 days ago
UandMeTravellers
San Diego, California

All reviews pan for gold tour guide great tour gold mining hard rock catch and release per adult tour takes small group duck total darkness steep stairs original equipment great fun main street mining history gold rush
Reviewed 8 July 2012

We made a last minute decision to take the mine tour and we are glad we did. It was within walking distance of our bed and breakfast (if you're ok with a couple hills and dirt roads). The tour guide is part of the family that owns the land and mine, which made it very authentic. He was full of historical details that I never knew. Make sure you aren't claustrophobic, because you go in about 1000 ft and there are narrow tunnels and passageways that may freak you out. All in all it was quite interesting and very educational. Highly recommend for families of elementary kids especially.

Reviewed 10 June 2012

Found this to be a very informative tour. The gentleman guiding the tour had more than adequate info about period mining. Worth speding the money for.

Reviewed 14 March 2012

This was a great way to spend a few hours. Fun, informative tour!

Reviewed 30 November 2011

We trekked up to the mine a couple of weeks back. I think it was $10 each to tour. Nothing spectacular about the tour. Staff was nice.

They allow you to try your hand at panning for gold, but do not let you keep what you find. This was a bit of a disappointment. You can be pretty sure there's never going to be enough gold in their trough to amount to much.

If you've never visited a hard rock gold mine, go, it is worth it. If you have, skip it, there's plenty else in Julian to do.

1  Thank Cuthahotha
Reviewed 16 September 2011

We visited this mine as we thought it might be more suitable for us as we had no young children and the other one with the train ride sounded like it might be aimed at younger children. We also chose this mine as it had a museum.
On approaching the mine it does not look like a visitor attraction, but an actual mine that isn't open to visitors. I liked this as I wanted to visit something authentic, although the no entry/warning/private property signs were a little bit concerning as they were followed by something along the lines of "trespassers will be shot".
We parked up near to 2 large wooden barns/buildings. We entered the entrance/museum to be greeted by the owner. The owner was not drunk, but is quite abrupt (somebody had asked if they needed to book a tour or just turn up, I won't relay the whole conversation but the he talked to them could have come across as he was doing people a favour by taken them on a tour).
I didn't actually realise that this building was the museum, I thought it was just a store room. It might have had some things worth looking at but he started the tour straight away without mentioning we were in the museum or describe the various items there.
He was very informative on the tour and the areas we visited in the mine were really interesting, especially as we have never done anything like this before. My wife asked a few questions and he seemed to be abrupt in his answers again.
I have probably give a bad impression of the guide (actually the owner) but the truth is he is not a trained guide and therefore doesn't have the people skills you would expect. I think a lot of people used to professional guides would take his abruptness as him being rude, but I think it's just how he is. He certainly isn't nasty and I would recommend this tour to anyone. It doesn't last very long but you do seem to get to see a good amount of the mine.
Although I didn't visit the other mine I would recommend this one for people without young children.

2  Thank gilders