“WARNING: Most Horrible Experience Ever!”
Review of Tucker Peak Lodge

Tucker Peak Lodge
Ranked #10 of 11 Julian B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 October 2017 via mobile

This may be long but please read before booking this place! We booked our room through Expedia in July. On 10/21, the day we had our reservation, I got a call, text, and email from Expedia saying the hotel had overbooked and we didn’t have a room. We were already on our way there with another couple who also had reserved a room there. I called the inn and a very unfriendly Zora said she had no idea why I was calling because we did have a reservation. I explained about the email, text, and call from Expedia, and she very shortly said it was early and she wasn’t organized yet (their website advertises 24 hour concierge services but she said she had just started her day) but she was 99% sure we had a room. We got there at 9:20 to drop off our bags. Jordan (works for her) was very nice and said we couldn’t check in yet (we hadn’t expected to) but gave us a key to our room and assured us we did have a reservation. We left to meet the group we were hiking with. At 9:42 Jordan called and said he HAD to have our key back and was going to get fired by Zora if he didn’t get it back. She was yelling in the background ‘Get that key back!’ We explained we were leaving with the other hikers in 5 minutes but he was very upset and kept saying he was going to get fired. We felt bad so my husband and the other guy agreed to meet him in town and give him the key. They took off, and at 9:50 Zora called the lady who also had a room there, and started going on about how we had cussed out her employee and had bad attitudes. My friend explained that had not been the case at all, and that in fact we had all praised Jordan and did not want him to lose his job, so the guys had agreed to meet him in town with the key. She suddenly switched gears and said all was ok and we didn’t need to worry about the key. (Too late for that as the guys were already on their way) My friend got a text from Zora at 9:54 saying she just wanted us to have a good experience and all was ok.....very strange. It gets worse. At 10:22, my friend got a text from Zora saying both of our reservations had been cancelled and we could not stay there because of our attitudes! My friend called and Jordan just kept saying Expedia had overbooked - did not mention anything about our attitudes being the reason. Zora then took the phone from him and said I’ll make this quick, you do not have a room here. We were told to pick up our bags. After the hike, we went to the inn and found our bags sitting on the front porch in the hot sun (there were very good wine and cheeses in the bags...). Anyone could have come by and picked them up. It was a bizarre, stressful experience and I would not recommend this place to my worst enemy. We have no idea what happened as we never once even raised our voices, much less curse. We are going to try to pursue with the owner of the inn, and I am contacting Expedia to warn them of the uncalled for, unprofessional way we were booted our of our room.

Stayed: October 2017
2  Thank BAH0627

Reviewed 24 July 2017

We had a confirmed this hotel through booking.com. We showed up at the hotel and the check in is very confusing. There is no one there to great you in the lobby. In fact, there are just keys in the lobby. Since we had a reserved room, we grabbed the last key available. After spending time in the room, we realized the room is not as advertised. There is no view whatsoever, the carpet is stained all over the place, and the towels look like they were about 30 years old. The place is very old and dated. After staying in our booked and confirmed room, we had a knock from another couple claiming that we were staying in their room. My wife and I were very humiliated at embarrassed. After a phone call with the hotel customer service, a very RUDE lady told us the room was double booked and that we can't stay there. I explained that we have a confirmed booking through booking.com. She was not at all sympathetic to our cause. In fact, she started talking about astrological sign, and said I should take my energy elsewhere. After lecturing me on astrology, she offered no help to us. Also, she had a very bad attitude and told us this happens all the time (the 3rd time to be exact). With that said, my wife and I had to drive hours home. Our entire weekend was ruined. The hotel staff did nothing to make this error on their part up to use. Do not book here. They have the worse customer service ever.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
juliamor, Owner at Tucker Peak Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2017

We apologize for your bad experience. Unfortunately, due to none other than human error, it was discovered that there was a break in communication between the site you booked your reservation on, and our reservation system that reserves rooms on our end. Unfortunately, when you arrived to check in, and we discovered the error, we could not place you in another room at our location because we were completely sold out that night. When you told us that you wanted us to do something for you, we offered to locate another room for you at a different lodge in Julian, but you did not want that. Also, at your request, your reservation was cancelled so you were not charged for your stay. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience.

Reviewed 20 May 2017

We love cruising up from San Diego for the weekend when we need to get away from the hustle and bustle. It is so peaceful and the views are incredible! The rooms are very cozy and comfortable and the staff is super friendly and full of suggestions. Close enough to town that you can quickly access the shops and restaurants but secluded enough that you'll get the peace and quiet that you're looking for. I can't imagine staying anywhere else!

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 May 2017

Great location a few miles out of town, Very quiet with great views of the valley. Great potential for a five circle place. Now the bad news. Rooms need updating. Carpets were very dirty with dust collectors everywhere. Bathroom wall was open from six feet to the ceiling and the only door was saloon type. Fan very noisy and toilet flush valve not working. You would hit your head on the ceiling standing near the toilet. The outside grounds also needed attention.

I build and remodel homes for a living and it would not take much to make the units really nice and more livable. I would not stay at this place again. Traveler beware.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 March 2017 via mobile

We had a lovely suite with a fireplace and bacony, which provided us a fabulous view.
The four poster bed was very comfortable, but our suite had some flaws: no heat in the bathroom, and no comfortable chairs to sit in. There was only one small wicker patio chair. The bathroom had no door, and a small but annoying problem- no kleenex. We had a two night stay, and our room was never cleaned. The bathroom rug was still wet from the previous occupant's shower. I also noticed that the blinds and shades were old and frayed.
The saving grace of this lodge was the young caretaker Craigley. He was helpful and accommodating. He said he had never met the owner, and that the only person he knew associated with the lodge was a booking manager.
This could be a 5 star bed and breakfast with some minor improvements and an on-site owner. Until then, I probably won't return.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lhiestand
Also consider these accommodations in or near Julian
3.2 km away
Apple Tree Inn
#2 of 3 in Julian
4.8 km away
Wikiup Bed and Breakfast

Been to Tucker Peak Lodge? Share your experiences!