“Good solid place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of High Desert Motel

High Desert Motel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Joshua Tree
Chicago, Illinois
“Good solid place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

First off, the name of this place is High Desert Motel (not Inn, as you can see from the pictured sign) so the title of this page is a little misleading. I visited in early February 2012, in the height of their winter---too cold to use a pool, but still mild enough to really enjoy getting around. Be forewarned that the high desert in winter can be quite windy and chilly, even in the sunshine, so bring your layers. Forget the bermudas and Hawaiian shirts at this time of year.

I had stayed at a much higher priced chain hotel in Yucca Valley($73) the night before, where the walls must have been paper thin, as I had heard every bit of the neighbor's TV well into the night. I had also checked out another cheaper chain there, and found the beds to be like marshmallows. Some locals recommended High Desert Motel in Joshua Tree (the next town) as an alternative for my second evening, and I'm so glad they did.

Now this is not a place to go for an aesthetic experience. As mentioned by others, the furnishings are plain, and dated in terms of fashion, and I'm not partial to the overhead CFL lighting, but for the important things---it was quiet; the bed was good (even for a tricky back); there was a microwave, fridge, coffeemaker, good shower; it was clean as a whistle. There was also a desk with a gooseneck CFL lamp, a sofa, and a not-flat-screen TV that was plenty adequate for my purposes. The TV remote had a couple of malfunctioning buttons that I forgot to mention to management, but was still quite serviceable. The price was more like $43 for a room with one large bed. Now you're talkin'! For me, the excitement and aesthetic was in Joshua Tree National Park, a few minutes down the road. What I needed was a good night's sleep to support my adventures. And that's what I got.

The people there were awfully nice, too. When I asked the hotel manager for a little water for my cup when I registered for the night, he pulled out a fresh bottle of water for me, gratis. I think they are really trying to make this a positive experience for travelers.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank traveau

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

The Owners are wonderful and the hotel is so clean!, A grand place to stay, they will accommodate you in any way, they are very friendly and very helpful, even when you arrive at 3 in the morning from LAX after flying all day..Very Relaxing and I do recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Call Ahead..
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Amboy, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2011

Planning a day trip to Joshua Tree National Park, we were looking for a clean budget lodging to just spend the night. We found the High Desert Inn as among one of the most competitive in prices with quite a few satisfactory reviews on TripAdvisor & Yelp.

I went ahead and made a phone reservation (cheaper than the online booking rate) for two rooms with two beds each for about $50 each. On the day of our event I get a confirmation phone call from the motel (how thoughtful of them) however to my surprise the person on the other end stated the reservation was for two rooms with one bed each. I stated that I had originally reserved two beds in each room, which he then quoted a price in the $60 range. I explained that the original quote I received was lower, to which he changed the rate to $55. Upon arriving to the hotel I did not find an attendant present so after buzzing him in he arrived but clearly was distracted with whatever activity he was doing in the back room (which he at least admitted). Not very professional, but then again all he is doing is giving me my key.

The room itself was just as I expected from the reviews, somewhat clean but rough around the edges. Some of the wear and tear over the years was either left as-is or haphazardly bandaged with black scotch tape. Though I must admit the mini-fridge, microwave, chair and desk came in handy for keeping my leftovers over night and warming it to eat in the morning. My only real complaint was that the bed was extra firm – something I wasn’t used to. No noise, clean and minutes from Joshua Tree National Park West Entrance: overall I couldn’t complain though, as my main concern is the sanitary condition of the place (which thankfully it was).

No frills, no thrills, just a decent budget motel that will get you through the night.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank barstow2needles
Berlin, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

We stayed at the High Desert Inn on our visit to Joshua Tree. It is a basic, clean motel, situated very close to the cafes and restaurants in Joshua Tree and to the Park entrance. Nothing fancy about it, but a good value budget hotel to use as a base when visiting the park.

• Stayed October 2011
Molokai, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2011

Writing this review using the 20 Mbit WI-fi connection (speedtest.net), best WI-fi I have ever experienced! The room is clean, well equipped with fridge & microwave. TV is 20 or 22 inch. There is a small table for eating & a desk for the computer. Try it, you'll like it!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DougMKK
Also consider these accommodations in or near Joshua Tree
9.8 km away
BEST WESTERN Joshua Tree Hotel & Suites
20.5 km away
BEST WESTERN Gardens Hotel at Joshua Tree National Park
BEST WESTERN Gardens Hotel at Jo...
#3 of 11 in Twentynine Palms
10.2 km away
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites
21.0 km away
Fairfield Inn & Suites Twentynine Palms-Joshua Tree National Park
Fairfield Inn & Suites Twentynin...
#1 of 11 in Twentynine Palms
22.7 km away
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Twentynine Palms- Joshua Tree
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Twe...
#5 of 11 in Twentynine Palms
13.2 km away
Travelodge Inn and Suites Yucca Valley/Joshua Tree Nat'l Park

Been to High Desert Motel? Share your experiences!