“Maybe not the best choice!”

Comfort Suites Huntington Beach
Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in Huntington Beach
Huntington Beach
“Maybe not the best choice!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

Well, I've stayed in other Comfort Suites property's and you can tell they are very different given the nature of the ownership I guess. Here is the positives. the room was clean and was not musty or damp. the air worked good and nothing was "broken", I'll stop there. Ok, not so positive aspects. The bed mattress was "lumpy" I didn't even know you could get a mattress to be lumpy in this day and age, unless you stuffed it with straw?, not comfortable at all! The location was noisy, not from traffic, just other guests, the walls were made of paper I think. The TV was old, no big deal, but it must have been hooked up to a coat hanger on the roof. I didn't bother trying the Wi Fi hookup, but I hope it isn't like the TV. The front desk staff, well it appeared to be 2 gentlemen, one I believe was a manager, not sure, but I walked in and received no greeting whatsoever, ok, I don't need a hello, or welcome, I'm not that snobby, but how about a "Are you checking in?", "can I help you?" are you going to rob us??? something, anything other than a blank stare!!! I had to double check and make sure I didn't have a booger hanging out of my nose! So after doing all the intro, the front desk clerk proceeds to draw out my check in process by having a completely unnecessary conversation with his co-worker about some trivial matter that required him to leave what he was doing and show his co-worker something on a clipboard or whatever! Ok, now I am going to get a little snobby, If you work at the front desk at a hotel/Motel here is some good advice(and I have never worked at a Hotel in my life) A. You are the very first impression of any matter to a new guest, other than the outward appearance of the property, you should really try to make a "GOOD" first impression. B. The guest is priority #1 second only to Fire's, earthquakes, somebody getting murdered in the lobby!! and if you do need to interrupt the check in process, there's a little trick, it goes like this "Please excuse me sir, I just need to help my co-worker with a very important matter, my apologies, I will be right back to help you! in which you get a reply, "No problem, thank you!!"

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
7 Thank Seabee1966

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

Stayed here in February 2012 with my mother and two children.Great location across road from mall.We stayed only one night after arriving from Australia.The next morning at breakfast I left my handbag in the breakfast room..only to realise I had done so about half hour later.Reception phoned me, and I wish to thank Maria who was working in the breakfast room for handing in my bag.It contained all of our travel documents,money and credit cards!Cannot thanks the staff enough..would definitely stay again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank bellacabo
Northern California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

Stayed here with my two children, ages 9 and 11 in February of 2012. I wanted something that was inexpensive, and this place was that. Prepaid, I think we spent about $89 per night.

First the good: The hotel is very easy to get to from the 405 freeway and in an area with lots of conveniences: restaurants, shopping, gas, even the hospital is nearby. However, the ocean is NOT in walking distance of the hotel. You will have to drive. Free parking is a definite plus, although the parking in the garage is limited to vehicles 6'3" or lower, but there is a good amount of free parking in the outside lot. I got parking several nights right next to the front doors of the check in office. The free breakfast is a bit more than simply continental, which is a good thing. There was the usual assortment of pastries, with boiled and scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, bagels, toast, yogurt, fresh fruit, cereal, apple and orange juices, coffee.

Our room was comfortable as were the bed and sleeper sofa, the air/heat worked really well when we needed it. It also had good lighting. We had the king/sleeper sofa room with the cute little privacy wall between the bed and sleeper sofa. The refrigerator worked really well, as did the microwave. The bathroom was on the large side, but the door had to be closed in order to use all the counter space. Our room was on the back side of the hotel and was very quiet. We had no problems with noise. We did have to request a couple extra blankets for the pull-out sofa. The blankets were good quality and really warm and big. My children said the pull-out was comfy. The king bed was very comfy for me.

The pool was a good size and we were told that it was heated, however, it didn't feel that way to me. The jacuzzi worked fine.

The not so good: These rooms are NOT in any way suites, hence the question mark in my title. They are decent-sized rooms if the sofa bed is in sofa mode, otherwise, they are very cramped. The carpet in our room was old and dirty looking and in need of replacing. We didn't walk around barefoot. The sleeper sofa was fine for my kids, but I noticed that it was only about 6 inches thick, and when sleeping on it, it squeezed down to about 2 or 3 inches. A few of the springs were broken. The lighting in the bathroom is really good, however there is a fan connected with one light, so when you turn on the light, the fan comes on. We were able to determine that the only thing this fan did was make noise. Annoying.

When the maid cleaned the room, she left her cleaning glove in the bathroom, the extra blankets balled up on top of the table in the room one day, and after the second day of not folding the sleeper sofa back into sofa mode, I made the bed and returned it to sleeper mode myself for the duration of our stay.

There is free wifi available, but I was never able to get my iPad to connect. I had to use the one and only computer available for guests. This wasn't a problem when I was able to get on it the one time I needed it. There was one guest who, over the course of two nights that we saw him, was on the computer for a total of about 6 hours. Clearly the sign indicating that the guest usage limit of 15 minutes was a waste of printer ink. On this particular night when I was using the guest computer, which is located very near the check-in desk, one of the desk staff was on the phone with someone who clearly was not a guest. He was very loud and had no intention of shortening his conversation with his friend or keeping his voice down.

The pool, as I stated above, is a good size, however I failed to feel the warmth of it. The fence surrounding pool is in desperate need of replacing as it is completely rotted out at the bottom on one side. The jacuzzi works well, but has grime and algae along the sides of it.

I didn't like the fact that the hotel charges $1.00 per night for the safe included in the room.

The hotel has outside entrances to the rooms, much like a motel, which I don't prefer, but overall, we were safe and comfortable, and in order to save money on food, were thankful for the breakfast provided. But I don't think we'll be staying here again. Many upgrades need to take place.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank matyglenn
Carmel, Indiana, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

The location of this hotel is very convenient to the freeway as well as the ocean. The entry, front desk & breakfast areas are very nice, clean & updated. The rooms are just ok. This is definitely an older hotel. With outside entrances to each room, it is easy to hear night activity and neighbors playing music in nearby homes. There is an elevator which is nice. The only ice machine for the entire hotel is on the 1st floor outdoors and you need your room key to operate it. The king size bed was very comfortable. The interior of the room was ok, small tight space between end of bed & closet, although the bathroom was very roomy & nice. There are many different prices for the rooms so be cautious about what you reserve and pay, the rates seemed to fluctuate daily.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

After driving 400 miles for a hockey tournament with my boyfriend, we were searching on the internet where to stay for 4 nights. All of the pictures of this hotel are beautiful. They showed spacious suites, and a clean pristine pool and spa. When we arrived to get a room, we were very excited that we finally found a great looking hotel in a good location. When we booked the room, we decided that the price point was a little more than we expected, so my boyfriend paid half of the room rate with cash, then I was directed to an ATM across the street at Pavillions, so I can get the other half of the money. When we booked our room, the gentleman told us that we were able to stay one night in a "regular room with a king bed" and in a "suite with champagne and a hot tub bath" the second night, and return to a normal room for the remaining two nights. He claimed that there was nothing else available. We had to pay around 50 dollars more for the suite, which was fine, since we were tired and didn't want to search any longer for a hotel room. Before I went across the street to get cash, the gentleman assured me that our room was BOOKED WITH US and that everything was good to go. No more than ten minutes later we returned. There was a female at the front desk, eating and wouldn't acknowledge us. She shouted to the gentleman that helped us in the back, "THEY'RE BACK" and still said nothing to us. About five minutes later, the man returned. He told us, " I have good news and bad news. You don't have to switch rooms anymore, I decided to book the suite with somebody else. But you HAVE TO PAY THE SAME RATE FOR THE SUITE AS THE REGULAR ROOM" He GAVE AWAY our suite behind our backs AFTER he already booked it. and had us still PAY for the suite!
During our stay, we were located next to about three rooms filled with a dozen 9 year old boys, and several chaperons. It was INCREDIBLY noisy. They were banging on the walls, running up and down the halls all night long. We decided to take a break from the noise and go down the the hot tub. Which was located DIRECTLY behind a Jack-in-the-box drive thru, and right next to a giant telephone pole. (Comfort? I dont think so) All the chaperons decided to take the kids down to the pool as well. They chaperons were all drinking in the corner while a dozen boys were being rowdy, rude, and running around in and around the hot tub. They kept splashing on us, they made all my clothes wet, and they made us generally feel irritated and uncomfortable. My boyfriend went into the lobby to speak with a front desk person. The man at the desk assured us that we were not the only ones complaining about the noise, and that they would do something about it. When we went back into our hotel room, it was STILL noisy. We called the front desk several times after that, and NOTHING HAPPENED.They told us that they might switch us to a new room, or even kick the other party out of the hotel. I could not sleep until three a.m. when the noise finally stopped. The next day they had the children and chaperons switch rooms, but WE COULD STILL HEAR ALL THEIR LOUD NOISE. They would not switch OUR room or do ANYTHING FOR US. we we IGNORED.
We also got AWFUL service the next day when we decided to go back to the hot tub (we finally got our chance to go out there without those rude, loud boys) We ask the front desk person for pool towels, he says he doesn't have any and that he would send some out to us when they were ready. So we proceeded to the hot tub. 45 minutes have passed and still NO TOWELS. and we were ready to get out! Guess what? WE NEVER RECEIVED TOWELS and had to walk back to our room SOAKING WET. When we walked inside, the front desk person was on the phone, and avoided making eye contact with us.

The hotel itself was kept up okay, but these rooms are not "suites" I have had better stays and nicer rooms at a motel 6, for about half the price. Ive never seen such AWFUL CUSTOMER SERVICE. I work in the service industry, so I know what is expected.
They have a hot water problem, as well. Our showers kept turning cold, and the hot tub wasn't hot a lot of the time.
The ONLY good things about this hotel, are its location, and its breakfast.
I feel for the money, we DEFINITELY did NOT get what we paid for, and I will not be returning to The Comfort Suites.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are cramped and tiny. They say they are "suites" but they definitely are...