“Surfing”

Cowell Ranch State Beach
More attraction details
Owner description: The kind of place only the locals know about, this scenic state park is just south of Half Moon Bay and features a sandy beach and a seal preserve, plus trails for hiking and horseback riding.
Reviewed 26 January 2013

We were excited that we were in the area when the "Mavericks" surfing contest happened this past weekend. Between "all" the people, traffic and trying to find just where the contest was happening. We searched until we could find a "view' and it was awesome. The ocean is beautiful and this just added to it all.

Reviewed 28 October 2012

Can be a little crowded at times when sunny . Road can flood in winter at times of high tide. A nice hike inland. Many nice CA beaches, this is one.

Reviewed 26 August 2012

Oh I just give up.

I came down here to take a healthy hike and generate some good man-sweat and what did I do?

I gawked.

I pondered.

I wondered in awe.

I listened.

I watched.

I took all 2.2 miles in very slowly.

So I could hardly call it hiking.

This time we turned north at the end of the straightaway that leads to the coast and what a wondrous combination greeted us was we meandered along this well-marked trail. On our left was the gorgeous California coast, replete with harbor seals and flying graceful pelican formations. On our right was a stunning field of yellow spring flowers that were being serenaded with song birds. All this under a perfect April sky.

And the wildlife was ahead of us (and over us) and in the fields and in the ocean. We saw: Song Sparrows, White-Crown Sparrows, Black Phobes, Mourning Doves, Red-tail Hawks gliding effortlessly, a Coopers Hawk, Turkey Vultures soaring so close overhead gracefully, a scrambling skink, a singing Wilsons Warbler, a singing California Quail, Western Grebe, a llama, and even a donkey hanging out with the happy California cows!

So if you are the type who likes to simply hunker down and get your walk/hike in, then I guess you can do it on the very well maintained, crushed granite, trail, with it's gentle curves and mild slopes.

But if you want to get lost in a world of nature and the scenery, this is the place.

To savor.

To drink in.

To relax and leave the hustle and stress of daily life aside for just a bit.

4  Thank tantien3
Reviewed 25 July 2012

A small well preserved hamlet and former ranch perserved along with long trails leading to cliff side views. A true small gem of long gone history not to be missed as you travel north on Hwy 1.

Reviewed 5 June 2012

nice walk thru coastal trails and bluffs to the beach.