“popular home cooking/diner food”
Review of Penny's Diner

Penny's Diner
Ranked #21 of 118 Restaurants in Grass Valley
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 12 November 2017

We came here for Sunday breakfast because we saw it got fairly good reviews online. Service was a little slow because it was very busy, but the wait staff was friendly. My husband had the chile relleno special and I had the corned beef hash, both of us chose the home fries. Hash was salty to my taste, the chile relleno was "OK". Large portions, home fries were also "OK". Good old, plain old diner food.

Reviewed 27 June 2017

Breakfast was average but large. We been here a couple of times and we don't believe we will be coming back given the large amount of great breakfast restaurants there are around.

Reviewed 26 April 2017

Always great to have breakfast at a classic themed diner. The breakfast special at $7.99 is a super bargain, and the service was excellent!

Reviewed 8 February 2017

This is a big old diner style restaurant. The placements are covered with jokes and trivia, which is actually good since service is almost painfully slow. There is an old fashioned coke machine in the corner (the kind that dispensed glass bottles, for my fellow gray-heads who remember such things) which is fun. The walls are covered with dozens and dozens of clocks, all showing a different time.
My wife had a BLT, which was pretty good but not overly generous with the bacon I had a burger which should also have been pretty good, except that it was over-cooked. I ordered it medium rare and it was close to well done.
We wouldn't avoid going back, but wouldn't make it a priority either.

Reviewed 18 October 2016

Though all I had was the breakfast burrito and coffee, I can say both were great, and I would expect the same from any of their breakfast items. Little touches, like the waitress asking if I wanted onions and peppers with my home fries, coupled with her attention to all the tables, told me this was a place you could rely on.