“Great Japanese food ”

Katsuya - Glendale - SBE
Reserve with OpenTable
Katsuya - Glendale - SBE is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #63 of 539 Restaurants in Glendale
Price range: USD 25 - USD 40
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Brand
Reviewed 10 November 2017 via mobile

This is a super Japanese restaurant at the Americana and Brand in Glendale. It is very popular so you need to book in advance. We had such a great meal here. The food was fresh and delicious. Super tasty too. The servers were extremely helpful and explained all the dishes. Seating inside and outside with great view of the fountains and activity going on outside.

Reviewed 22 August 2017

The ambience is good at this restaurant at the outdoor area of the Glendale Galleria. However, the quality of the food is not as good as I remembered from previous visits. Sushi was well prepared but not spectacular. My main rating is due to the less than stellar service. Wait staff were not well organized and we waited a long time to order and another long wait when we wished to pay.

Reviewed 4 August 2017

Very pleasant atmosphere in the summer month having dinner in the evening. Sitting outside was very nice given the hustle bustle of the shoppers at Americana. The portions of food were smaller than we expected but it was sufficient. The presentation was admirable too. Prices are probably on the higher side of average, but you pay for the convenience and setting.
There's a huge area on the second floor that was very much empty. Service was excellent from our waitress Jordon, who was pleasant and very helpful.

Reviewed 25 July 2017

My husband and I tried this restaurant for the first time as part of the LA Dine Week on July 24, 2017. The menu looked great; a four course dinner for $39, so we decided to try it. The food was not what we were accustomed to as a Dine LA Restaurant Week participant. During the Dine Week, we have always found placeswhere the menu make you go, “Wow!” This restaurant, however, just made it go, “meh.” For starters, we were to have regular or spicy edamame. We never were offered any nor were any given. For the first course I chose the crispy rice with spicy tuna. It was nice to have the rice not fall apart when you try to eat it, however the star of the dish was the rice. You really couldn’t taste much of the spicy tuna. My husband went with the crispy chicken salad. I had a taste of it and it was only okay, nothing to get excited about. The second course I had was the spicy yellowtail handroll while my husband got the spicy tuna handroll. I only had tasted mine and it was pretty good, but just that. The third course I had was the sashimi box while my husband had chicken teriyaki. The sashimi was good and the presentation was beautiful in a box over ice. However, the three different fish (salmon, yellowtail, octopus and tuna) had a watery flavor, perhaps for being too long on the ice. The chicken teriyaki I had was an end slice and a slice from the center. The center was better tasting (moist) than the end piece which was very dried out and thank heavens for the teriyaki sauce. That helped it out. The fourth course we never got and thus the reason for this poor review. I knew lava cake takes a while and so I ordered it straight away with everything else. We sat down about 5:45 and I must say the courses come very slowly, Japanese style of not rushing that dinner is to be savored and enjoyed with conversation. At 7 PM we advised our waiter that we had tickets for a show at 8 PM asking if he could speed the delivery a little bit and that we had to leave in 15 minutes to get to the theater. At 7:05 PM he took my husband’s order for the choice of two mochis and reminded him again of the urgency. At about 7:15 we asked him again about the desert and he advised my cake, which was ordered at the top of the service was ordered just a few minutes ago and would have about 15 more minutes to go. We then asked to speak to his manager who promptly came over to talk to us. We let the manager know that is was our first time there and what brought us in was the the dineLA menu. We also advised him that we have taken part of the dineLA week for many years and so we were not unfamiliar with the idea. We suggested that if you are going to offer a dessert which takes up to 45 minutes to make, the servers should be upfront with this and have you order it with your meal. Also, make sure your staff is aware of this menu as your particular server did not seem to know much about what was offered for this special meal. Additionally, your host/hostess should give you the dineLA menu when seated, not after we went up to the desk to ask for it. We also commented on how erratic and inconsistent the food was coming out of the kitchen. At this point, the manager basically blamed his restaurant for having three different kitchens that prepare all different foods. As the time was now ticking we had to leave and the manager advised us he was picking up our meal and sorry we did not have a good experience. I always give a place two tries and someday I may give this location another try.

Reviewed 10 May 2017 via mobile

The menu is overwhelming. You find out very delicate type of sushi. Some of them are very creative. Very fresh, very tasty, quickly served ... perfect lunch