“The name matches the smell”

Candlewood Suites North Orange County
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Garden Grove
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“The name matches the smell”
Reviewed 28 July 2011

The Candlewood Suites in Garden Grove California is one of those hotels that you start off by trying to convince yourself your choice wasn't that bad. At $100/per night you try to say its a good value. It isn't. I asked for a king suite. I got a double queen room. I asked for non-smoking. I got a room that smelled of something between a chemical mix of cleaner spray and rancid cigarette smoke. The clerk at the front desk put on a good show of disgust and distain, mid her throaty smokers cough. But at least they were kind enough to say that my credit card wouldn't be charged. I departed with a lie, stating that I may stay there sometime in the future. Sorry Candlewood. Your hotel sucks. That was my short and vivid experience.

Room Tip: A full hotel leaves only the worst rooms available
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank racerd0g

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
texas
Reviewed 27 June 2011

This hotel is only about five minutes from Disneyland. It has a kitchen which makes it convenient and you can save money on food if you wish not to eat out. There is a convienent store next to the hotel. Place in nice, felt safe and easy access to the freeway.
I saved about 50% compared to hotels next to Disneyland. The bed is confortable and one of the best shower water presure. I would consider this hotel for future stays.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Reviewed 3 June 2011

Like: very friendly and helpful staff, convenient to highways but not noisy or busy, nice neighborhood, cupboard - quick snack and not overly pricy, free laundry facility, free fitness room with good (not superb) equipment, free videos to use with new ones added each time I've stayed, always plenty of convenient, off-street parking, free Internet.

Could improve: odd smell in hallways and rooms, when I left the bathmat on the floor there were bugs crawling all over it when I came back to the room one night, otherwise the entire hotel is VERY clean, Internet is not very fast.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Whitman, Mass
Reviewed 21 April 2011

Well, I booked this hotel for 5 nights for our stay in the LA area. It was about $70 a night, and after checking in, I'd say it more like a $35 a night place. The room was tiny. The room was very outdated and run down. There was quite a bit of mold on the bathroom ceiling. The bathroom counter look like it had been chewed on in the floor corner. The room just didn't feel clean and we slept on top of all the covers/bedspread.
But the staff was great. i asked to ceck out in the morning, and I made my own arrangement to transfer to a Staybridge Suites (where I am now and will review in a few days). We had the AAA rate and they did not have to break our reservation and only charge us for the one night, but they did. They were very accomadating, and I didn't even have to argue. (Makes me think we weren't the first ones to leave early) But I really did appriciate the ease of breaking our reservation. So for that, I want to give 3 stars.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
GGRGGSales, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites North Orange County, responded to this review, 27 May 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am disappointed to hear your stay was below our normal standards. We take pride in our hotel and want our guests to experience a clean and comfortable hotel and superior guest service. With that being said, I do agree that our appearance is currently outdated. We have great news concerning this. Our hotel will be undergoing a full rennovation beginning in November of this year. We are also providing feedback such as yours regarding our linens to our company as well. Although all of our soft goods (curtains, flooring/carpet, bedding etc.) are brand new. It seems there is an issue with the color. As the color of our linens is cream vs. the normal white in hotels, the appearance is one that we are finding is the assumption that they are old, not fresh and dirty. I can assure you that our linens and rooms are cleaned thoroughly and on a regular basis. We have a wonderful staff that truly cares about our guests visits and I'm happy you experienced their thoughtfulness during your stay.

Thank you again for providing your feedback. Your comments and suggestions are invaluable to us.
St. George, Utah
Reviewed 21 March 2011

The receptionist-Jacqueline was so helpful!!! They upgraded our room at no cost when we realized we need more space. They also gave us directions to all the places we wanted to go, since we had never been there before, and printed out some papers that we needed for one of our entertainment events. They were great, the staff was all soo nice and helpful!! Rooms were great too!!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
3.3 km away
Candlewood Suites Anaheim - Resort Area
1.5 km away
BEST WESTERN Plus Meridian Inn & Suites, Anaheim-Orange

Been to Candlewood Suites North Orange County? Share your experiences!