Howard Johnson Fullerton Anaheim Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Fullerton
Vacaville, California
“Home away from Home”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

We have stayed here for the last 5 Christmas holidays. We have had very good service and found that the staff is very friendly. We have always found that the rooms are clean and quiet. The shuttle that runs to Disneyland is nice also. The pool is usually heated all during the year and is very nice to swim in. The location is good for us because we have family members who live near by. There is plenty of choices for food and shopping in the area.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank lanismom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Seattle, wa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

I just recently stayed at this hotel and at first I was little worried about staying here due to the negative reviews. However, I was impressed.and their is a couple of ways that they could improve and then I would be more than willing to give it a 5 stars.

1) I arrived late on Monday night 9:30 via Orange County Airport. I took the super shuttle from the airport. I would recommend doing that because taxi's is very expensive.

2) At check in, was easy. I am very fortunate that I don't have credit card debt or owns any credit cards. There is a $75 hold they put on your debit card & at check out you will get a refund. There is a sign that says banks usually take one month to return to your checking account. I specifically requested a Tower Room because I read that those are newer and my more better than their other rooms. I was offered a handicap room but I was hesitant and they gave me my tower room. At check in you also get vouchers for each day that you are here for breakfast. Breakfast is served everyday from 6 to 9am. I will go into detail about that later.

3) I was given a room on Level 6. The room is huge in my eyes. I got a nice bathroom. In the bathroom there was no sign of rust or mildew. The water pressure was very good. I never ran out of hot water. EVER. I got a king size bed which was huge for me but I loved having so much room to move around in. There was five pillows (4 white & one biege). The white pillows was the softest in the world. The mattress of perfect for me. Not too firm. Not to soft. There is one tv and three drawers in front of the bed. The closet was small but I didn't pack much. I think two people would have plenty of room to be here for a week. There is a microwave and desk where you can write. There is a nice chair where you can relax at. The balcony was the best in my eyes. There is a small table with two chairs and a reclining lounge chair where you can get a little bit of sun. I counted 4 lamps in the room. 3 of them have a plug in to charge items. There is a container that you can put ice in. FYI. From the 6th floor you have to go to the 5th floor to get to the ice machine. The air conditioning/heat worked easy for me. It's self explanatory on how to use it. The elevator was working while I was here. There is a coffee maker in the room.

4) The breakfast that was served was very good and filling for me. I am not a picky eater. Everyday they served: Toast, potatoes, rice, scrambled eggs with sausage, pancakes, fruit, coffee, tea (both decaf and regular) and water. The cups for the orange juice and coffee are rather small. I found myself going to get refills and coming back to a table that was already clean and someone else have taken my spot because I refuse to leave my belongs their by itself. IT does get extremely crowded during breakfast so it is wise to get their early.

5) The Free Disney Shuttle was awesome. It runs daily in the AM at these times usually: 8,9,19 & 11. There is no shuttle between 12 to 4. Which I was okay with. The next shuttles run in the PM at: 5,6,7 (not on Sundays) 8,9,10. The shuttle returns from Disney to the hotel at those same hours except at the :15. When you check in grab the shuttle schedule and keep it with you :-) The last couple of days I was here they didn't go to Disneyland but I did take it there so I could have dinner in Anaheim. The Garden Park Mall is in walking distance from there. If you find yourself stranded in the middle of the day to get back to the hotel take the Bus 43 (runs about every 15 to 20 minutes) It cost $1.50 one way & $4.00 for an all day pass.

6) The pool is really nice and spacious. I went swimming several times while here. The pool is heated and the weather in Fullerton was in the 70's during the day. It never got crowded :-)

7) The only thin I was thinking about doing was getting a car for one day. I talked to the concierge and I briefly talked to a gentleman from the rental agency. I told him that I needed to think about it and told him I would call him back about getting a car for New Years Eve. This was on a Thursday. On 8am on Friday I got a phone call in my room from the rental car agency asking me if I wanted a rental car. I told him I would have called him back. I have no idea how he got my room number and with the fact that I got 5 hours of sleep I wasn't a happy camper. I hung up with him and found that I couldn't fall back asleep *sigh* I never mentioned to the hotel about how the car rental agency my room number but I will eventually. For New Years Eve I had several parties to go to in Hollywood. So I did something very simple. I took the bus 43 to the Fullerton Station. That is where Amtrak is located. I took a train from Fullerton to LA Union Station. Then I took the Red Line to Hollywood. My friends picked me up. It only cost $14 to get there.

The only ways that I could think of improving this hotel would be:
A) Change things up for breakfast. Other options would be really awesome.

B) I don't know the cost of it would be but a lot of people would stay here even more if you offered a shuttle from Orange County Airport to here. Even if there was a cost involved.

C) I think your housekeepers do a great job but I did find a lighter under the cushion of my chair but it didn't bother me.

Your customer service was really great while my stay here. Every answer I had was answered politely. If I come to this area for vacation, again, I will definitely stay here.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room in the Tower. They are much nicer than the others.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Lisa J
Chicago, Illinois, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

I visited California from June 30th to July 8th of 2011. It was my first time in California. It has always been a dream of mine to visit the LA area. I had high expectations. This hotel was okay but it wasn't what I had hoped for. When I first got to the hotel I noticed that there were a few noticeable cracks in the wall on the fourth floor. It made me nervous. Right then I knew it was going to be a bad stay. I was scared that the building was not up to par with the new California state building codes for earthquake safety. I couldn't go to sleep that night I was so scared. Everything else was somewhat normal. The food was decent but lacked variety. I really wished I would have stayed elsewhere. It would have made my first stay at California more enjoyable.

Room Tip: When I stayed there, the fourth floor was pretty quiet for the most part.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Julia C

Travellers are raving about these Fullerton hotels

Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2011

We stayed at this hotel during our recent vacation intermittently for 2 weeks. It looks very decent from the website in its pictures and description. Apart from its close proximity to the Disneyland theme parks, the overall service level and amenity is far far far needed for improvement.

Just to name a few flaws we have experienced:

1) The bed covers look like they have never been washed regularly as we could feel the stickiness on its surface.

2) The temperature of the heater/air-conditioner is difficult to adjust.

3) The coffee cups and plastic bag in the ice container are not automatically topped up unless we call the front desk to do so.

4) The elevator in the Tower block broke down once and that is the only one in the building. When we called up the front desk to inquire, they told us that it would take at least 2 weeks to fix , although eventually it was fixed after a day. But that clearly shows, how poorly trained the front desk staff are.

I personally visited some otehr neighbouring hotels including the other HJ hotel down the road towards Anahiem, I found all of them far better in terms of facilities and service.

I concur the comments of other like-minded guests who shared the same experience as me that it is better to consider a better alternative in the neighbouring area.

Unless the owner/management is prepared to invest in improving the overall facilities and quality of its staff, I am 100% certain and sure that I would not return to this hotel in my next visit.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2011

if your planning a trip to Disneyland and considering this hotel because of price, pay more and actually go to a good neighbor hotel. unfortunately for us, we found out too late that this property is 5 miles away from disneyland and not the real Howard Johnson Anaheim. thanks to the hotel's "no refunds" policy we were stuck with it. the hotel was better than i expected but that's not saying much after i read all the reviews. first of all there is a bad estate sale going on all over the property of really ugly nude greek/roman life sized statuary, EVERYWHERE ! i don't even know were they got their whole collection but its massive.not to mention the fountains were they placed more statuary inside of! then there is the rooms. we got upgraded to the "better" tower rooms but if those are the nicer ones, i don't even want to see the regular rooms tucked into what looked like the hallway of the staff's rooms on a really cheap cruise. the rooms have dirty mixed-matched furniture and the rest of our party staying in another room found a plastic bag over the smoke detector. in the other building there were always ugly, cheap, and loud weddings going on out by the pool area and ballroom late into the night. breakfast was sickening, you'd think they could afford cereal at least, but no, frozen pancakes, sausage eggs, and old fruit, for all! served in a dinning area with 10 different wallpapers and gigantic booths. decor all over the hotel overall could only be described as weird. i would only recommend this hotel to someone i hate.

Room Tip: tower rooms are apparently better.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Eva B
JeffersonKim, Manager at Howard Johnson Fullerton Anaheim Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 1 December 2011
I apologize for the mix up. It sounds like we tried our best to accommodate by giving you a free upgrade.

I'd like to point out that you ended up saving over $80 by staying at our hotel. Here are some of the savings you received compared to the Howard Johnson in Anaheim:

- Much lower rates (we typically charge $90/night whereas the other Howard Johnson routinely charges above $150)
- The other Howard Johnson doesn't offer ANY breakfast
- Taxes in Anaheim are around 17% whereas for us it's only 10%
- We offer a free shuttle to Disneyland.

I recommend for any shopper considering any other hotel, to seriously consider the "hidden" fees associated with your stay. These "hidden" fees include, Wireless Internet fees, parking fees at Disneyland and the Hotel, resort fees, higher taxes, breakfast charges, etc. After you consider all these extra expenses commonly found in hotels in Anaheim, I'm confident that you'll see our hotel as the superior value.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fullerton
1.9 km away
5.0 km away
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Anaheim - Fullerton
4.8 km away
Fullerton Marriott at California State University

Been to Howard Johnson Fullerton Anaheim Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!