“Fullerton has a new fantastic fine dining restaurant”
Review of Wreckless

Wreckless
Reserve with OpenTable
Wreckless is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #142 of 407 Restaurants in Fullerton
Reviewed 23 February 2018

Chef Cody Storts has another winner. Finally he has some of the accoutrements to go along with the fantastic food he's been producing for years, like china with the restaurant's logo embedded. His version of house made beer nuts are tasty and a little sticky. The foie dumplings were also yummy although the foie gets a little lost, but the star among the appetizers we had was the escargot toast. I could eat myself into a coma if provided with nothing but all-you-can-eat amounts of the toast and savory sauce. My companion's duck breast main dish was expertly cooked, crispy skin and tender juicy meat, and rice accompaniment was delicious. My dry aged rib eye steak was everything I wanted it to be. Attentive, but not invasive service.

Reviewed 23 January 2018

Wreckless is a major breath of fresh air to dining options in DT Fullerton. Located at the former Steamers site, Wreckless was completely gutted and rebuilt, a total first class operation. I call the new motif, Casually Elegant. Very comfortable but upscale, absolutely not a shorts, flip-flop and t-shirt establishment. The owners are exceptionally down to earth people. Excellent bar with extensive whiskey, bourbon and I'm not sure about scotch.

Chef Cody runs the kitchen and the menu (room for improvement on the menu, see below). The menu has about 6-8 appetizers, two salads, four or so steak options, a couple of fish options and sometimes, a pasta. I can only speak to the steaks as that is all I have tried as an entree' and I will tell you, they are OUTSTANDING. The New York is in a class of its own, as tender of any steak I have ever had, sliced off the bone and reassembled and served, enough for two. Ribeye is wonderful, but be careful of the specialty butter they use to baste and top. It has a great flavor but just tore up my stomach with heartburn, probably due to a garlic or shallot ingredient, which does me in. So I now order with no butter. Filet, excellent. I have not had their Tri-Tip, but the guy next to me said it was excellent. They have a specialty steak that Chef Cody rotates in based on availability. So hands down, the steaks rock, without exception. Now, here is my criticism.

Chef Cody knows how to prepare a meal. His entire kitchen staff is in complete sync. But the Chef is a Chef, not quite business focused. He is a culinary artist, not a business guy. So here is where the menu is lacking and the house itself. The limited menu is costing Wreckless a fortune in lost revenue. I get that Cody does not want to have a seven page menu, he wants to focus on what his vision, but he is being myopic.

The wife and I want to hang out here and eat during the week, we have the money. But unless we want steak, fish or a daily special, there is nothing else to eat. What I recommend is Cody place on the menu, an alternative to his menu that will encourage folks to come in to eat and drink in a wonderful establishment during the week. A top notch hamburger (not duck burger, not liver burger) that is as good as the quality of his steaks. A good Steak Sandwich with fries. Add a "traditional pasta" dish. Two salads is way too restrictive. Add a Wedge and perhaps a Chef's Salad with more traditional greens. Lastly, there needs to be a Baked Potato option. I really love the buttered dutch potatoes that comes with the steak, they are excellent. But, a baked potato is also a viable option. And lastly, a veggie option is a must. Green beans as an example is a perfect add-on to the steak. Right now, that steak plate is pretty naked, steak and dutch potatoes, nothing else. Provide a veggie add-on option would go a long ways.

The bottom line is the food is excellent, but a menu without a few "traditional" items is keeping folks like us who want to spend the money to eat and drink, from making you a weekly adventure.

Reviewed 18 January 2018

This restaurant is fairly new – it only opened up in December 2017. This isn’t Chef Cody Storts first rodeo and, according to our waitress, he wanted to be free (wreckless) to experiment with making food his way. We had dinner here on January 16th and here are our impressions:

First, our “Room for Improvement” comments: It’s never a good idea to lock out potentially paying customers yet that was our very first impression. We parked on Commonwealth and went to the front door – and it was locked! We could see customers at the bar! It was 4:30PM and, according to their hours, they were supposed to be open. We knocked and waited and were just about to take our business elsewhere when a waiter finally opened the door and apologized. Walking in, we found the place to be rather stark. No place settings on any table, no candles, flowers no nothing! It looked as if we had come during cleaning time (it didn’t change when we left either, so it wasn’t just due to our being early). We ordered a glass of wine with our meal and – talk about a short pour! Our wine barely covered the bottom of our glasses and the prices/glass were on the high side (See photo). Now to the food. According to the waitress, her #1 suggestion was the ribeye steak. It was so good, she said, she’d recommend it to her parents as the ONLY thing to order. We did, and we truly hope that girl actually loves her parents because, for $65, it was one of the worse ribeye’s we’ve had in a restaurant of this caliber in a long time. It was excessively fatty (even for a ribeye), way too tough and pretty much tasteless. Presentation was beautiful but the delivery on flavor was not!

Next, the things “We Loved!” The wild baby greens salad was amazing. The dressing was original and had a “pop.” The pork rack was impressive in its presentation and some of the best pork I’ve ever put in my mouth! The potatoes and apple chutney just kicked up the flavor profile to “over the top!” And, please save room for the black berry cobbler. My wife is a long-time confirmed desert hater and I was fighting her for every spoonful.

Would I go back? Yes. The things that were exceptional were truly at an inspired level of exceptional. That makes us want to go back. But, we’ll be wary of the things we noted to be wrong. If we want wine, we’ll order a bottle. Bottle prices actually looked pretty fair.

Reviewed 12 January 2018

Exceptional food and service! I came here for my birthday and was quite impressed. I made a reservation for a Saturday night, which ended up getting messed up somehow, but the maitre'd was able to accommodate. He was very sweet and friendly. It was the best welcome ever and set the tone for the night. The lighting was perfect: dark enough to create an intimate ambiance, yet bright enough so you can read the menu and see who you're eating with.

Lauren was our server and provided excellent service. She was helpful and was on top of things. Wine was poured and not a glass went unfilled.

We started with a lamb meatballs appetizer ($14), which was delicious and had hints of foie gras. It came with 3 meatballs and was shareable.

We also ordered the tri-tip steak ($28), which came with black wild rice. This was a phenomenal dish! It was cooked to a perfect medium rare and was so tender you could have cut all 10 oz with a dull butter knife.

A dish that was just as spectacular was the duck breast ($26), which I might add was the best duck I ever had. You could tell from the taste of it that this duck ate well throughout its life. It was plump, juicy, and oh-so- tender. It did not have a gamy taste or a duck smell to it.

I had a taste of the salmon, which was good, but definitely not as good as either the tri-tip or duck breast.

To end the night, we shared the blackberry cobbler ($12) and bread pudding ($10). They definitely did not skimp on the ice cream with the peach cobbler. It looked like a mound of ice cream, at least 2 scoops, melting over the crispy cobbler. Unfortunately, the bread pudding did not come with ice cream, but it was tasty and soft. If I had to do this again I would order this a la mode. It was hard to choose between the two desserts because they were both just as good as the other. Perhaps a la mode, the bread pudding may have won the contest by a hair.

This is a great spot for a special occasion, date night, or intimate night out with friends and/or family. I would put this place on par with Playground, which is one of my favorite restaurants in OC. This might be up there with it!

Corkage was $15, but you can buy a bottle for as low as $21 if you so desired. I would highly recommend coming here. I know I will come here again, maybe to do brunch next time because that French Toast in the pictures looked amazing. Credit cards and reservations are accepted.

Reviewed 2 January 2018

THis place is Jean Georges with a Rat Rod.
We heard of this opening and finally got to go out and investigate. Shiny new improvements done in Chic candelabra and rose gold finishes with a Rat Rod Truck parked out back. Huge Bar perfect for Fullertons finest. THis establishment will become many's a regular. Stop in for a visit.
Now for the food.
We arrives New years eve at 3 PM and were promptly seated by Eric. We were offered both the Lunch and dinner menu which was full of surprises. Fois Gras Dumplings were off the hook. Savory flavors that I forgot existed. Lamb Meatballs were worth a try. The Dumplings over powered them so I will have to try them before hand next time.
THe menu is vast and will please anyone that walks through the door. Entres range from $22 to $80 We had the Truffle pasta and the Porterhouse. We split them both with no objection from our excellent server Joanne. Both items were a mouth symphony of flavor. Cooked to perfection and not a bite was wasted.
They have a good selection of craft beer from wheats to Abbeys. Wine list was very acceptable with a few rare cult offerings which we passed on because of time of day.
Specialty cocktail menu is unique and seems to be a requirement for Fullerton. The important thing here is a full bar with any thing you want from top to bottom.

We are looking forward to another visit to further tast the menu but as it stands, this place is a staple. We are already inviting friends to come and enjoy. Hat off to the chef on another winner.
Cheers and Enjoy