“Keep looking. You can do better.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Coast Inn & Spa

Coast Inn & Spa
Ranked #18 of 22 Hotels in Fort Bragg
Chico
“Keep looking. You can do better.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2011

Check-in - Check-in went smoothly and about 30 minutes after checking in the owner called the room and, although the CaPhe (cafe) was closed, told me she had made some potstickers for me if I would like to try them. I went to the CaPhe and she had prepared potstickers, a small fresh, locally harvested seaweed salad, and some inn-grown spicy pickled radishes, all complimentary. The food was delicious. Everything went downhill from there.

Room - Stayed in room 21.
The room was very cold at 5:00 PM check-in and with the undersized heater, I was still wearing my jacket until I went to sleep at 11:00 P.M.
Voices from the neighboring room were loud and disruptive. Oddly, when the neighbor used their cell phone on speaker it was perfectly clear and intelligible in our room.
Mildew and peeling wood paneling in the shower. An old piece of tupperware used to prop up the back of the toilet.
Mini-fridge did not keep food cold even at maximum setting.
Website claims that room has a flat screen TV. It was an old CRT TV.
Bed was very comfortable.

Pets - Website claims the inn is "pet friendly" and gives no special rules for pets. After leaving my dog alone in the room for a couple hours, the owner came to tell me that I cannot leave my pet alone at any time. This was not explained on the website, when I called her to make the reservations, or when I checked in. She stated it is in the guest directory in the room. I reviewed the guest directory and she is right. The directory states there will be a $250 fee if you leave your pet unattended, and an additional $250 fee if your pet goes to the bathroom anywhere on the property. (Not $250 if your pet goes to the bathroom in the room, or $250 if you don't clean up their mess. Apparently its a $250 fee just to pee on the grass.)

Hot Tub - At check-in (Wednesday) I asked about the hot tub and the owner stated it was just cleaned and refilled on Tuesday and won't be warm until Thursday. Frustrating but acceptable. On Thursday the hot tub was just tolerably warm enough to use. I understand it takes a while to heat up so I was looking forward to it finally being hot on Friday. On Friday I tried to go in at 9:15 PM and found the hot tub to be very cold. I asked the owner about it and she said she had turned it off at 9:00 PM, but it will be hot in the morning. There is no way that the hot tub got so cold just from being off for 15 minutes. Tried to go in Saturday at 7:00 PM and it was cold again. If the hot tub is broken, just tell me. Don't keep promising it will be hot soon.

Alkalizing Water - The owner kept suggesting I let her fill my water bottle with her special alkalizing water. I let her fill my stainless steel bottle the first night. Drank most of it and it tasted fine. The next morning the water left in the bottle had a foul smell and taste. I've never had that problem with tap water in that bottle. I don't know what she does to alkalize the water but it seemed potentially unsafe to drink any more of it.

Wi-Fi - I was able to connect without a problem, but it was so slow as to be completely unusable. Basic web pages took minutes to load and mostly just timed out with errors.

Check-out - I was concerned about extra fees being added so I wanted to personally check out rather than just leaving the keys in the room. Check out was at 11:00 AM. I tried to check out at 10:00 AM and there was a sign on the door that the office was closed until 11:45. Now I'll have to keep an eye on my credit card statement to see if a couple $250 pet fees show up.

I would not stay here again and would not recommend anyone else do so.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank solar_tea

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Trinidad, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2011

I feel completely deceived and gipped by their website. We just paid 150 dollars for a standard room that was not even very clean and not at all comfortable. We were also promised breakfast three times and yet suddenly last night we were told there is no breakfast after all. The walls are paper thin, the location is not so good and the whole atmosphere just feels dumpy not healing at all. The worst part was I woke up at night and looked at the shower and saw there was what I thought was bugs all over the shower. I was completely horrified but later we discovered that it was backup sewage from a clogged drain and I am not sure what is worse. I am horrified to have gone through this experience but hopefully by writing this review we can prevent others from staying here and loosing their peace of mind and comfort. Do not be fooled by their website STAY AWAY!!!!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank emilybee8

Travellers are raving about these Fort Bragg hotels

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

The rooms are very clean and modern. The owner was very charming and helpful. The hot-tub was wonderful. Free WiFi and flat-screen TVs. Will definitely stay here again. No views of the ocean as the motel is the wrong side of the highway, but you can walk down to the beach in 5 mins.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Mendocino, Ca.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2011

We have been going to Coast Inn and Spa for years. The owner is extremely knowledgeable about the healing arts and is a superior cook! We have had the good fortune of being the recipient of her creative cuisine, with the freshest ingredients possible straight from their own garden. This is truly a healing environment on the beautiful Mendocino coast!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Fort Bragg, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

We decided to stay at this place after seeing the pictures of their beautiful rooms they have posted on their website. Wow, were we disappointed when we arrived. I'm not sure where they took their website photos, but they were not even close to representing the room we stayed in. Our room was 1970's old: dark, dingy carpet, dated furniture and fixtures, and a stained and damaged bathroom. We won't be back.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
5.4 km away
Ocean View Lodge
Ocean View Lodge
#4 of 22 in Fort Bragg

Been to Coast Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!