“Year of the Dog at Sasa Kitchen”
Review of Sasa Kitchen

Sasa Kitchen
Ranked #39 of 101 Restaurants in El Cerrito
Reviewed 4 March 2018

We had our family 2018 Chinese New Year dinner at Sasa kitchen. The meal was pre-ordered ahead of time from the their New Years Menu since we had about 50 people attending the banquet. We had a tasty soup which I believe was made from dried scallops and mushrooms, It was followed by walnut shrimp, Chinese long beans,
Chinese fried chicken, Peking duck, baby bok choy with pork and mushrooms,
steamed rock cod with hot oil, fried rice, duck meat from Peking Duck, bok choy with
abalone and mushrooms.
The food was better than normal and service was good. My only complaint about the restaurant is the size. It is a large 1 room restaurant with a lot of tables squeezed into the area. It was hard to wonder between tables to visit and it was especially hard for my elder relative who needed to use a walker.

Date of visit: February 2018

Reviewed 30 December 2017

We went there as a group of 13 for lunch and we ordered quite a few dishes from the dinner menu including steamed fish, noodles with lobster, peking duck, claypot with lamb, etc. For appetizer we also ordered har gow (shrimp balls). The har gow was probably the worst har gow I had in the Bay Area. The skin was mushy and the shrimp inside came in small separate pieces instead of one whole shrimp. Avoid it at all cost! The dinner dishes were quite good and tasty. Service was typical of what one normally finds in a Chinese restaurant. So don't expect them to come and check on you. The restaurant owns a parking lot next to it and so parking was not a problem (unless the restaurant is really full). The place is not like a hole in the wall but the decor is nothing to write home about,

Date of visit: December 2017
Reviewed 22 December 2017 via mobile

I went to this restaurant for lunch on a Thursday. All the customers were Chinese at the time of my arrival which suggested to me that the food would be authentic. It is recently renovated so it was clean and tidy. There were tanks with live crab and fish in front. I ordered the roast duck special. It came with egg drop soup. There was white rice and stir fried bok choy. The duck skin was very crispy, but the meat was a bit dry and bland. There was only one server, a woman, whom I think was management since she worked the cash register also. When my check did not come, I went up to the register to pay. She was surly about the bill, speaking to me in a derogatory tone. I was surprised at her manner. I paid the bill and the requisite tip, but vowed never to return. Most restaurants make me feel welcome not an inconvenience.

Date of visit: December 2017
Reviewed 19 September 2017

I have eaten here a couple of times since it's opening earlier this month. So far, I find the entrees to be fairly fresh and tasty as well as decent portion sizes. However, the menu prices are somewhat high. The only dish I was not crazy about was the Kobe Beef. The beef was tender and flavorful cooked in a teriyaki sauce, which would be great if I were eating a Japanese meal. The wait staff were friendly and helpful. One of the servers was a little too eager to recommend dishes almost to the point I just wanted him to go away so I can order in peace. But I still appreciated his recommendations. I think I would eat here more often if the prices were just a little lower.

Date of visit: September 2017