“Great Value” 5 of 5 bubbles

Miracle Springs Resort and Spa
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
“Great Value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

Great overall experience. I loved the 24 hour a day policy for the pools. We booked through Tripalertz and the front desk had a little trouble processing our reservaton and check out tabulation but, but in time it all worked out. We had a great room facing the pools and loved the sports bar next door. Brandy at the front desk was great, Thomas at the Capri restaurant was very attentive, and Carolina our room matron was awesome. Josie at the place next store (affiliated) was friendly and poured a mean drink. We live in Big Bear lake (2 hours) and we wil be back !!

Room Tip: use the spa
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bigbearfatman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

This place is great! This is the second time I've stayed here and on both occasions I've been extremely impressed with the quality of service and facilities. The spa pools are fantastic - nothing beats a relaxing soak whilst looking up at the desert night sky. My room was spacious and clean and had a great view of the pools. I was also very impressed by Capri restaurant - a new feature since last time I was here. I had a fantastic steak, and the lasagne was also excellent. I enjoyed chatting with Chef Anthony afterwards, and the other staff members were also friendly and helpful. Minor problems which arose such as not being able to access the laundry room were dealt with in an efficient and timely manner.

The hotel also serves as an excellent base for exploring the local area. The nearby Joshua Tree National Park has some of the most spectacular scenery I came across in all of California, and after a long day walking it was great to be able to return to the such a comfortable base and relax with the spa facilities. The hotel is also near enough to enjoy the night life and amenities of the the rest of the Desert towns, such as Palm Springs. Overall, I had a great stay here.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Ben B
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

My friend and I were complaining of sore knees living in the cold north. We decided let's try find a place that has hot mineral springs. After doing a bit a research, we decided we wanted to go somewhere warm being still cold in March. I had never heard of Desert Hot Springs, CA before. But boy am I glad I found out about it. After looking at the different hotels we chose Miracle Springs Hotel and Spa.

The grounds around the hotel and pool are just beautiful. They had a flowering bushes with fushia colored flowers. Our room was nicely decorated with yellow, orange and blues. We had two queen sized beds, small sofa and refrigerator, tv, desk and chairs and hair dryer. I mention those because I am not sure the hotel states it on their website. Even though we had a room facing the parking lot being up on the second floor we did not see the cars. Our room 202 had a very nice view of the flowering bushes which hid the street beside the hotel and then gave us a view of the mountains. The beds were comfortable and the rooms kept clean. We did the room special for $289.00 for three nights and $100.00 towards a spa treatment. When you look at your bill for your stay it is very difficult to understand. They do not clearly show the $100.00 taken off the spa treatment. Also they charge temporary $100 on your credit card for any charges you might make at the hotel, please be aware. They do take it off later depending on additional charges you made to your room.

The pool area is just beautiful with the greenery, different size pools all with the mineral spring water at various temperatures. California was having a cold spell during the beginning of our stay so we were reluctant to get into the main big pool. After a day or two we found out that it is actually lukewarm so even on a colder day you can enjoy it. We usually started in the hottest small pool ( could usually only stay in it for 5 to 10 minutes) then worked our way down to the cooler pools.

We took advantage of the spa while we were there opting for the spa special of aromatherapy massage, body scrub and facial. Very relaxing and soothing to your body. I highly recommend it. I think if you had a specific area of concern they could work on that for you during the massage. The body scrub is somewhat abrasive as they rub sea salt on your body but nothing that you can not withstand. They wrap you up in steamed towels like being in a cocoon for 15 to 20 minutes. You just want to shut your eyes and take a nap you are so relaxed. I think the special was $159.99 for the three treatments.

We ate our dinner the first night in the Capri restaurant inside the hotel. Every time we ate there the food was excellent. I highly suggest the crab cakes for dinner and eggs benedict for breakfast. The one complaint I have about the restaurant and others in the pool area were saying the same thing, they are not good about checking on you after you receive your meal. It is very tough to get their attention for the bill, a second cup of coffee or glasses of water etc. Make sure you have everything you need before the staff leaves after serving your food. It is actually for that reason that we did not eat there more.

Luckily Palm Springs is close by for additional eating choices. We tried Las Casuelas the one with the outdoor terraces and Lu Lu's. Both had excellent food. We got our $5.00 map from the new visitor center in Palm Springs to drive by some of the stars homes. That is kind of difficult to do when you are not familiar with the area. I might suggest you take a tour if you are interested in this. The clothes shopping prices are very reasonable. You see many signs like very thing in the store 16.99 or 15.99. My friend liked a clothing place called Cilantros I think.

Another great side trip is to Joshua Tree National Park. The trees are very unusual with clumps of greenery in ball type area shapes. I am not sure if the leaves are like a palm tree or not. We took the Barker Dam hike and a few shorter ones. The skull rock is very close to the beginning of the hike so no need to do the whole route to see it. Make sure you bring plenty of water. I wore one of those shirts I brought from Rei Sporting Goods Store. It had hidden panels to hide cash and venting areas to keep you cool. I was quite comfortable on the hike while my friend complained she was hot.

We did take a short walk as it is right next door to the Desert Hot Springs hotel. It seems a bit older, the restaurant decor was not as nice and the pools did not seem as clean. However the service at the restaurant there was excellent. The waitress asked how we were doing several times and it is a bit more inexpensive here to eat and is opened later then the Capri. To our surprise we learned that they were both owned by the same company. There is a karaoke bar it you are interested in that.

I would check on when colleges nearby have spring break. I heard we happened to be there in between two major college breaks so we missed the larger pool crowds. The pools never shut down which is nice but I wonder if it would be noisier having a room poolside.

By the way shopping in Desert Hot Springs at Glossy's across the street from the visitor center has great bathing suits prices I think they were all 29.99. They were cute styles too. The visitor center is great place to get more information about the area. Looks brand new too.

By the way, a week back in the cold north and my knee feels better than it has in a while. I definitely would visit this area again. We actually drove in from LA, only a two hour drive. Interesting to see all the windmills for generating power. You feel like you are on another planet to see that.

Room Tip: Room 202, on second floor, nice view of flowering bushes and mountains, away from noise from the poo...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Lakewood, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

Discovered quite by accident how wonderful the day spa services at this hotel. Such value and the massage therapist I use - Michelle Hypes is truly a wonderful professional. Proficient as a therapist, young and just a delight to talk with. I've become a regular customer because not only are the services priced well (about 30% less than Palm Springs spas), they are flexible in scheduling to meet my needs.

Discover for yourself!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Chino Hills, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

I love Miracle Hot Springs. I was surprised by the other recent reviews as i have been coming here for 6 years and have never had any of their experiences. We always get a poolside room that is always clean and they even renovated the bathrooms recently. I love the seven different hot pools they have and a beautiful large pool. It never feels crowded even when sold out on the weekends. And i love their deals. Sometimes its stay three nights and one of the three is free. Just ask and make sure you get added to their montly email lists. The best part of Miracle Hot springs is "The Spa"! To me, they are the friendliest folks around and the feel of the spa, the smells, the lighting and all make it a great experience. You wwant the best massage in DHS? Ask for darryl. I have a bad back and I make it a point to "Go See Darryl!. He is great. He's the best i have ever had.

Go with the right attitude and you won't experience like these other folks. Great place!

Steve R - Chino Hills

Room Tip: Choose a poolside mini suite, your sliding glass door opens to the pool! Only a few dollars more
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple