“Don't Waste your Money!”

Miracle Springs Resort and Spa
Carpinteria, CA
“Don't Waste your Money!”
Reviewed 25 March 2012

OMG, I have been coming to this place for more than 12 years, and have watched this place slowly deteriorate. This last weekend (3/24/2012) was a joke and my last time here!

1. Security – Doors to the facility are left open, so anyone could enter at their leisure. Security signs said use key to enter, but the doors didn’t lock. There was no evidence of any security at all.

2. Employees – Here is the problem, the employees seem they hate their job. There is no hint of service and employees are rude and uncaring.
a. There is an old beat of RV, and plainly insight, where the employees loudly congregated around, close to the pool. Seemed kind of ghetto!
b. Would not let us check in early, even though the hotel was obviously empty, even after we drove several hours to get there. And the front desk seemed like they were doing us a favor.
c. There was a bid mess up on the room, and it seemed it was double booked. It took a couple of hours to straighten it out, adding to the time we finally got into our room. Again no apology and lack of caring.
d. On Sunday morning I went to buy a couple cups of coffee at the restaurant. I asked the front desk when it opened, he said 7:00. It was already after. The lights were off, and he said go on down someone would be right with you. I did, and spotted 2 servers on a computer discussing supplies, still the lights off, at 7:05. They did not acknowledge me and continued to discuss their business. I started walking around the restaurant, and still no one acknowledge me. I went back to the podium, and waited for another 5 minutes, and still the lights remained off and I was ignored by the servers, and the front desk did not help – I just walked off.
e. I called the front desk about a very noisy group next door at midnight, and they did not respond (I watched to see if they would even check it out, they did not). So much for rest and relaxation!
f. No pool towels at the pool, and the front desk had run out.
g. One of the spas (the best one) water level had become lower the then sitting step. We asked them to fill it back up and the person they sent had no idea what to do. Finally after about an hour it was filled up, but the temperature was so hot, no one could get in. It took several complaints for someone to come and check it out.

3. The room
a. The toilet was dirty with dark whatever at the base and the top lid was dirty on the bottom side of it. I asked housekeeping to clean it, and they did not. It was there when we arrived and it was still there when we left.
b. Both toilet paper rolls were less than half full and no more rolls were in the room. You guessed it, we ran out.
c. The carpet was clean as well as the bed and sheets, no complaints there. But the TVs were probably 15 years old and were the old CRT style. There were no movie channels or anything else that you usually find in a comparable priced room elsewhere.
d. Decorations we boring and the walls had damage in the drywall, probably from the nearby chairs.

4. The facility
a. The main pool is in need of much repair. The grout between the headers have been removed and there are many areas where the header stone have separated from the grout below allowing pool water to enter and pull soil and other organic materials into the water. This was evident by the stains near the areas mentioned. The walls of the pool have many areas that the coating has deteriorated.
b. The concrete along the walk ways and the pool have weeds coming up, and it is apparent that esthetics in not a priority.
c. Some of the common areas and the parking lots are not cleaned up. There is debris and trash along the flower beds and along the parking area. This was not cleaned up the whole weekend.
d. Some of the walls have stucco missing and there seems to be no attempt to do any repairs.
e. The door closures on the doors leading to the pool are not working so the doors just slam shut. Our room was next to one set of these doors and the slam would wake us up day or night.
f. The elevator looks run down and not maintained.
g. Our friends who were staying here to, was put into a room next to the laundry room. There was noise from that room all night.
Summary – This place seem like a hotel in some 3rd world county. There was a complete lack of service, and no one tried to go out of their way to make any improvement. Looking at the reviews and responses from the supposed owner on this site, shows he reads these complaints but takes no effort to make positive changes (it must be the customers!). It is also obvious that the budget for maintaining the hotel is either to little or nonexistent. The maintenance crew is poorly trained and had no idea how to operate most of the equipment. Employees were often observed horse playing. One male maintenance guy was busy trying to get the room cleaners to allow him to come over that night! This happened in front of our whole group. The restaurant was the only good thing to report. The food was good, fairly priced, that is except the deserts. The tiramisu had run out the whole weekend, and although we were promised they would have it the next day, they again ran out before 6:30 PM. The cake we got instead was stale! We have been going to Capri’s for a long time, and were happy to see them move in to the hotel, but this was very disappointing. Well, the cost of this hotel is way too much for such a lack of customer service. And believe me, you will not feel comfortable here, mostly due to the employees attitudes. We are checking out early and will stay in Palm Springs instead! Don’t waste your time and money here!

Room Tip: Go to another Hotel!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank pjmodg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
  • Korean first
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed 25 March 2012

My family and I have been coming out to Miracle Hot Springs for years. The rates were reasonable and the experience was always relaxing. HOWEVER, recently we stayed there and was dismayed at the appearance of the hotel, the attitude of the staff and cleaniness of the property. First, they have raised their rates and offer no discount of any kind on weekends (AAA, Military, etc.). The rates are way too high for this place. The property is run down and in desperate need of daily upkeep and major maintence. Within the hot tubs, tiles are missing,chipping away so you are sitting on broken or missing tiles. The pool is chipped, paint in coming off the walls in the pool all over the place. Weeds are sprouting up between the lines of the concrete. The parking lot is full of trash.
We arrived early and had booked several rooms and was told to check back at 2:00 pm. They would not even look to see if just one room was available so we could atleast sit inside, we were with our elderly grandparents and were forced to sit in a very uncomfortable chair. We tried again at 1:00 and 1:25, but they just kept saying come back at 2:00. If the room is empty what is the big deal? We even went by the room & housekeeping was done with it and they still wouldn't let us check in. I know check in is at 4:00, but the absolute inflexibility to accommadate was rediculous. In the past they had always been more flexible.
The restaurant Capri is there now, but too our dismay they "ran" out of there Terimsu 2 nights in a row. One night we were there at 7:00 and asked to reserve 2 pieces and they had already "ran" out? We orderd lemon coconut cake instead and it was really stale.
The staff was rude at check in, except for Brandi, and appeared completely unconcerned with any of our needs during the stay. Room service answered the phone while saying "shut up" to another employee and she asked me to hold, except she didn't put me on hold and I had to overhear an obnoxious conversation about who was going to do what because "she had three tables" I can't do it. Then was told I had to wait 40 minutes to get my salad.
They said they had a "fitness center" next door that we could use. We went over there and it was a dark room with 5 old machines in it. A sign that says don't use the machines during any of their "classes". The machines were extremely out dated. I walked out. On my way back up to the hotel, I went the back way and there was this old RV with lounge chairs and employee hanging out on them. It was next to an old shack with ply wood, clearly in view when we went back to the pool. We couldn't figure who live there and why it was parked so close to the hotel in plain site. When I got back they said I could go down to World's Gym 10 blocks away. I did. It was the grossed gym I have ever been in, really dirty. The locker room had old paper towels on the ground, white stuff all over the carpet, they made me buy a towel for 2 dollars! because they didn't supply them. I felt like I needed to be disinfected after I left.
The hot tubs ran so low with water that the jets were squirting up like water falls, no one was monitoring them, The swimming pool was so hot there was no difference between that and the hot tub for that refreshing splash. One tub was so hot, no one could even get in it.
Unfortunately, I will not be coming back here. It is not worth they rates they charge, the property is falling apart. This was once a place I would go often and love it, not now. There are too many other choices for me to have to put up with run down facility and apathic staff.
Miracle Springs needs a Miracle.

Room Tip: Room with connecting doors are really noisey, so unless you want to be connected don't get one...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Jennifer C
carsonparlan, Public Relations Manager at Miracle Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
First, we appreciate your past business and customer loyalty! In all fairness, however, we have not raised the rates here in over 12 years. It is true we do not offer discounted rates during peak demand periods such as holiday weekends and when special events create a much higher demand than usual. This is called “revenue management,” and all hotels do it.

Our full-time maintenance crew is constantly engaged in repairing the minor damages that our guests and Mother Nature cause in our course of operation. One of the many attractions of this area is our weather; which admittedly can get a bit windy at times. If you saw the parking lot “full of trash,” it must have been just after a high wind, and was cleaned up within the hour.

We are always glad to accommodate early check-ins so long as we are sure the rooms are up to professional standards. Believe me, we would much rather have guests in their reserved rooms than waiting in the lobby, and are usually very responsive when it comes to requests for early check-in. Our current front desk crew is, in my opinion, among the best we’ve ever had.

Regarding the teramisu, because we make our desserts from scratch right here on property, Chef must project how many we will sell based on past sales levels. While we are very glad demand is so high, we are very sorry we ran out on the evenings you were here.

I apologize for your being told there was a fitness center at our sister property. That room is only utilized for our Yoga and Dancercise classes, and we refer workout-oriented guests to World’s Gym, which you also found unsatisfactory despite it being the most popular gym in town.

We are very sorry to lose a long-time customer, and would certainly appreciate the opportunity to regain your former loyalty.

Travellers are raving about these Desert Hot Springs hotels

Desert Hot Springs, California
Reviewed 24 March 2012

Wanted to let readers know about Daryl DeVany, a Massage Therapist at MIracle Springs Hotel and Spa. My wife Carol and myself Jeff Weiss have been going to Daryl for years and there is no one else at his level of expertise. If you are visiting the Spa or in the area, be sure to call ahead and book one hour with Daryl, you will never forget the experience.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed 24 March 2012

The Miracle Springs Resort & Spa is a very beautiful place to stay and visit. When you request a spa service you are able to enjoy the hot pools and jacuzzis. I have enjoyed a massage by Michelle on the following 2012 dates: 2/2, 2/9, 2/23, & 3/22 and think she is an excellent employee and therapist. I would recommend her to anyone visiting this wonderful spa. I am a local resident so I cannot comment on the rooms, however, I have eaten in the cafe and it was very good as well.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Lexington, Virginia
Reviewed 9 March 2012

This was our second visit and Miracle Springs was very nice. It's a good deal if you can find a package deal that includes some of the spa services. The resort is well kept but this is not glitzy Palm Springs luxury resort, but a good value for the money. The staff is very accommodating and friendly. The restaurant is OK if you stick to your basic food. We enjoyed our lunches and breakfasts better than dinners. The grounds are well kept and the pool area nice. This place seems to attract all ages from all over the world. The best rooms are on the 1st floor room facing the pool area. If we go back to Desert Hot springs, we'll stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 1st floor, facing the pool area, are the best. We had a mini suite , room#149 . We thin...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family