“Mexican Food”

Price range: USD 2 - USD 15
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Buffet
Description: Welcome to Tio Leo's Mexican Restaurant! Tio Leo's has been one of San Diego's most loved Mexican Restaurants for over 32 years. We love our guests, and offer a variety of menu options to suit all walks of life! And for your special event, see our famous Mexican Catering Menu. Tio Leo's Del Mar has lots of meeting space for large groups and we can accommodate everything from Corporate meetings to Quinceaneras!
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We stayed in the area and decided to try out Tio Leo’s in De Mar. I had the delicious breaded green Chile Relleno with shredded beef and cheese. My husband enjoyed his surf and turf burrito. Our daughter had the kids’ chicken strips. The food and service overall was good.

Date of visit: April 2018

Reviewed 22 February 2018 via mobile

OK spacious Mexican restaurant with blended margaritas, a big Tex Mex menu and prompt service. The food is just okay so I wouldn't make a point of eating here.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed 4 January 2018

We were staying at the Marriott in Del Mar and found this wonderful Mexican Restaurant that we could walk to from hotel. Not only was it convenient but the food was Excellent. The Chips were fresh, hot and not one bit greasy. My husbands only complaint was that the sauce could have been hotter. But he ate lots of it. Portion sizes were huge! The food was so tasty.
We ate here three different days and were never bored by the menu. Our meals were great.
Service was good too. Wait staff very Friendly and welcoming. We were sad to leave such a great place to eat when we headed home.

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed 26 December 2017

While visiting San Diego we stopped here for dinner Saturday evening. There are some pros and cons with this restaurant but, in general, it's only "okay".

Pros:
Staff: Nice bunch of people. Helpful, friendly, attentive. Chips, salsa and drinks were refilled regularly. They were also helpful with suggestions as we were out-of-towners and the menu was somewhat extensive.

Menu Selection: Pretty extensive. They have a large variety of Mexican fare along with burgers for everyone else.

Restrooms and Parking: Restrooms are clean. Parking is ample.

Cons:
Food is plentiful but just okay. It's just average Mexican food. You'd think that it would stand out more but there are better places for Mexican food in San Diego. My elder son like fajitas and will order it at any Mexican place we go so he can compare restaurants. While this was fine, it didn't stand out. We also had the tacos and carnitas verde. Both were just fine.

Fine is the adjective for this restaurant. It was just "fine". Unfortunately, that also makes it somewhat hard to justify the final price: Dinner for five, no alcoholic beverages, worked out to $90.

Date of visit: December 2017
Reviewed 17 December 2017 via mobile

My husband and I were staying right across the parking lot at the Hampton Inn. We were told we would get a 10% discount if we mentioned we were staying at the hotel. That proved to be a bit of an issue, as my husband had to walk back to the hotel to retrieve verification. We did, however, receive the 10 % off our meal. The service was fine--friendly staff. The menu was fairly diverse, with most dinner meals costing about $15. I ordered chicken enchiladas with a tomatillo sauce. I make this dish fairly often. It is not a difficult sauce to prepare, and it has a very distinctive flavor. Their sauce was pretty much tasteless. The chicken in the enchiladas was not seasoned at all. My husband ordered shredded beef enchiladas, and normally I hear him making what I call "happy eating sounds" when I make this at home. Let's just say he was pretty quiet. I can't say the meals were bad, as we did finish almost everything. The portions were more than adequate. It was just meh.

Date of visit: December 2017