“It's okay, you get what you pay for”

Best Western University Lodge
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Davis
Reviewed 18 March 2012

The first night it smelled bad. Like overpowering deodorant smell. After that it was okay. I didn't find it too noisy. The breakfast, forget it. Nothing good there. But it's it a nice location and right next door to the Black Bear restaurant.

Room Tip: Had a ground floor unit in the back of the unit, pretty quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank kimmie92592

Reviewed 21 February 2012

Stayed in this hotel for just one night. It was very clean and had an updated tv. The bed was comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpful. It is in a good location within walking distance to many local little restaurants. The breakfast was decent with several options for it being a continental breakfast. Cereals, bagels, toast, hot waffles, oatmeal, fruits and hard boiled eggs and juices were some of the options. I really liked the breakfast room. It is small, but we were in there at 7 am, and nobody else was in there, and the back area of the breakfast room, was a small kitchen area, and I just made myself at home preparing our breakfast. It worked out great! The things I didn't like were the walls are thin, there was someone being very loud and rude outside my room, but that was not the hotels fault, and we were on the first floor, and could hear the people in the room above us walking around. I suggest requesting a second floor room to avoid this. If we ever need to get a hotel in Davis again, I would stay here again.

Room Tip: get a second floor room and go early to breakfast because it is a small breakfast area and gets crow...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank kbsa
Reviewed 24 December 2011

As far as I know, $90 a night, as least on week days near Christmas when we stayed, is cheaper than other top rated hotels. I asked for a quiet room and got one. There is no elevator so you clunk your heavy bag up the outer stairs if staying on the second floor. I like the Spanish-influenced tiles denoting the number of each room.

The room isn't large but it has everything necessary, frige, micro wave, tv, internet connection, a desk with rolling chair, even a lounge chair. The bathroom has a white tiled floor with stylish umber walls and the bed was covered with a silky green spread with a certain attention to style. Best of all were the crisp but not starchy sheets, very white and lovely. The place seemed very clean. It's just four blocks from Sophie's Thai restaurant and convenient to most areas.

It's true the college kids at the front desk seem to be studying mostly and aren't going to bend over backward to help you (as when I at first had trouble getting on the internet) but at least they are polite. The breakfast, of course, which you eat watching CNN news proposes a challenge, as expected. There is, in an arrangement of cups, a muddy looking pool of waffle mix of dubious pedigree which one can throw on the waffle irons, the brand of yogurt which promises to donate something to breast cancer cures all the while containing phenolamines. dry cereal,,coffee, tea and frozen orange juice. The usual Amercian stuff unfortunately ti be expected in a chain.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rosabluecat
Reviewed 1 December 2011

I stayed here for three nights while meeting with people on campus. For my purposes, the location was excellent. I was able to walk everywhere and didn't need a car. There are plenty of restaurants within walking distance, and a 24-hour convenience store right across the street.

Some other reviewers mentioned the small rooms. The place does have the feel of a motel that's been spiffed up. That said, the owners have done a good job with what they have. The rooms are clean and well-provisioned, and there are a spa area and exercise room. I LOVED the waffle maker that's part of the breakfast buffet! Also the breakfast room has a computer with Internet access, which was handy as I didn't bring my laptop. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful.

The one problem I had was with the room temperature. I was there during a cold spell when it was getting down into the 40s at night. When I arrived, the temperature of my room was around 65 degrees, I'm guessing. Cooler than I like it, but not unbearable. I looked for a thermostat, but couldn't find one. I concluded that the owners were trying to economize by keeping the temperature down, and spent the first evening wrapped in the extra blanket I found in the drawer while reading for my next day's meetings. It wasn't until the second evening that I discovered that the air conditioner was also the heater. Maybe the staff could tip off future jet-lagged travelers about this?

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank abnj
Reviewed 2 October 2011

We stayed for 2 nights when we came to spend our son's new student orientation for family. It was close to the school and downtown. Place was very clean and quiet.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family