“Tasty, filling--and inexpensive!”
Review of Tc Pastry

Tc Pastry
Ranked #2 of 5 Bakeries in Daly City
Reviewed 25 April 2016

3 steamed buns (2 Chinese sausage, 1 bbq pork), 2 bbq pork turnovers, 3 fried shrimp cakes, and 3 huge sweet rice cakes/triangles -- all for under $12? Believe it.

We like dim sum well enough, but we didn't want to have to wait in long lines at the popular dim sum or buffet restaurants near us for just a snack around 4 pm. So on the 'net we found that TC Pastry was just a 10-minute drive away. Seeing all the dim sum in the glass display case, we had to hold ourselves back from ordering much more than we did since we saw fried won tons, Chinese donuts, egg rolls, siu mai (shrimp dumplings), hot dog buns, egg custards, chicken buns, and more. Reminding ourselves we do live close by, we went with what we hadn't had in a while or ever, like the baked BBQ turnover or the Chinese sausage steamed bun. Who would have thought we could get all that food listed initially in this review for under $12?

But a great price means nothing if the food isn't good. Arriving home, we enjoyed our selections -- still warm -- and found the Chinese sausage steamed buns to be tasty, with the customary sweetness of the bun balanced well by the savory flavor of the Chinese sausage. I wish the proportion of bun to meat had been a bit more since one side of the elongated bun couldn't be included easily in each bite of the bun, so that meant that if you took a bite of the roll with the sausage, you were leaving an edge of the bun on the other side, so you ended up munching some parts of the bun on its own. I preferred the BBQ pork baked turnover myself since the turnover was crisp and flaky with a good proportion of meat to pastry. And the fried shrimp cakes were excellent too, with some corn and peas mixed into the egg and shrimp mixture so that you could pretend to be having your vegetable serving, too. Pretty full from those items, I had only half of one of those gelatinous sweet rice triangles, the not-overly-sweet flavor reminding me it had been years since I'd had that yummy treat. I imagine it would please those who enjoy rice pudding, too.

We always carry cash on us, a useful practice since TC Pastry takes only cash, and we had had only one person in front of us but suddenly three people lined up in back of us after we arrived. I believe it can get pretty busy at times, so we were fortunate not to have to wait long. The woman behind the counter was polite, sweet, and relaxed with us as we chose to discuss a change or two to our order -- smiling, not rushing us at all. It's a tiny place inside St. Francis Square, an off-the-beaten-path strip mall, so likely most people will choose to do take-out as we had. We will definitely return when we crave a wider array of Chinese food than one typically can get at strip malls and when we want just to eat at home.