“Wow! We loved it!”

Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Coronado
Strathmore, Canada
“Wow! We loved it!”
Reviewed 14 April 2012

My husband and I just spent six nights in this exquisite B & B and we loved every minute! Coronado and the 1906 Lodge make a beautiful combination! The Isabella room was delightful! The breakfast and evening wine and cheese were scrumptious. Every detail was taken care of. A sure hit!

• Stayed April 2012
sgilling, Owner at 1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
6 nights with us, that's fantastic! I don't know about you, but I don't really start relaxing on a vacation until the 3rd or 4th day. I hope you returned home totally rested.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Temecula, California
Reviewed 9 April 2012

My wife and I moved here from Massachusetts a year ago. We used to have our weekend "escapes" a couple times a year to a tiny picturesque town called York, which is on the Maine coast. Moving to California, we would no longer have this special place, so we have been on a search to find our new "escape" location. Coronado, with all its beauty and charm, seemed like a logical place to look. Searching the internet we found the 1906 Lodge and decided to spend our anniversary there. We can truly say "We have found our place!". The Lodge is just beautiful, as are its staff. The breakfasts rival those of any fine restaurant. The attention to detail in the accommodations was impeccable. We will be back to this wonderful lodge many more times to come, our search is over!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Hebbart and Gill room, which is a cozy corner room overlooking the courtyard.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bob K
sgilling, Owner at 1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Happy Anniversary! And welcome to Coronado. I lived in New England for many years but have found "my place" in Coronado. It is my pleasure to share it with guests. Thank you for the kind words and we hope to see you back here soon!
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 3 April 2012

We spent three nights in the "Author's Study" and couldn't have been happier with our decision to stay at the 1906 Lodge. We just got home and I'm already looking at their other rooms online fantasizing about which one to stay in next! Other than weak wifi service in our room (easily remedied by just taking our iPads down to the common areas, we can't think of one negative thing to say about our experience. The lodge is perfectly located, just a quick walk into town and to the beach, very close to the famed Hotel Del Coronado. The free on-site parking was a great bonus, but, due to the fabulous location, we didn't even need to access our car during our stay. The complimentary hot breakfast and wine and cheese in the afternoon were the best perks, both delicious and money-saving. I'm an extremely picky eater (and vegetarian) and devoured the hot breakfast option each morning, as did my husband. The room was very clean with a super comfy bed, and we loved the rain shower head in the bathroom.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
I'm glad you enjoyed our complimentary amenities. One of the first things I decided when designing the Lodge was that breakfast would be included with the rate. A pet peeve of mine is spending a fortune for a so-so breakfast at a regular hotel. That's not how I want to start my day of relaxation! My innkeepers love cooking and serving their special treats for our guests. There's a different hot entree special each day, so come back and try them all!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Centrally located, within walking distance to the beach and the Coronado Hotel. Lots of restaurants and shops close by. My room was on the upper floor (accessible by stairs and elevator) in a corner of the building. Nice size, modern, nice bathroom, very clean. Bed was a little soft, since I have back issues, that was the only concern I had. The breakfast was great, includes a small buffet with a freshly prepared dish which varies from day to day. The lodge also has beach chairs and a tote with beach towels available for guests' usage. Great idea! There is a nightly "happy hour" in the lobby with wine, lemonade, cheese, fruit, crackers etc. Love the building. There is FREE parking in the underground parking in their garage. I wish I could have stayed longer. I simply love Coronado but am not a fan of the huge, overcrowded hotel scene that's why this property is so nice. Quiet, friendly service, overall an excellent experience. Will definitely stay there the next time I'm in town. Of four separate hotels I've frequented on previous trips to the area, this is by far the best.

Room Tip: Corner suite was nice and sunny. Ask about mattress.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
I'm so glad you discovered our quiet hideaway. I'm sorry the bed was a little soft for your taste. I admit that we lean towards a "comfy" feel with a pillow top plus a thick mattress pad.

Hope you'll come back and stay longer!
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 13 March 2012

We stayed here on the basis of other positive reviews. It is now clear to me why this place is the highest rated on Coronado island. As an example, we were having poor wifi signal. They put a repeater in our room to boost the signal.

Pros:

clean large rooms. If you are traveling with little ones, I recommend "star park "(all the rooms have names).

Breakfast included. Fridge in room with free waters and room for whatever you may buy (juice and milk for kids)

Free covered parking.

Great location. Walking distance to shops, beach, restaurants.

Cons: minor.

No pool. However community center is near by as is the beach.

Fold out couch not too comfortable. Kids don't seem to mind though.

• Stayed March 2012
Our Star Park Suite is definitely the best choice for families. Lots of space and a big bathroom. Having a refrigerator is very high on my wish list when I travel, so I put them in all the suites. (There's a shared one for the 6 rooms in the Lodge building.) I shopped around quite a bit for the sofabeds. There's always a tradeoff between comfort as a sofa, and comfort as a bed. My "inner Goldilocks" chose this style which had the best mattress feel. I'm glad it worked out for your kids!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
Downtown
Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego
Hotel del Coronado
#8 of 16 in Coronado

Been to 1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn? Share your experiences!