“Tomi Sushi, Seafood & Hong Hong Style Buffett”

Tomi Japanese Seafood Buffet
Ranked #22 of 351 Restaurants in Concord
Reviewed 12 August 2016

Husband and I thought we were going to a sushi restaurant while we were shopping at Sun Valley Mall. We decided we were too hungry to go home and make lunch. You can imagine our surprise when we entered the large restaurant lobby and saw a number of big chandeliers over a sea of modern leather dining chairs at various tables. A friendly woman showed us to a table but left no menus. Then it dawned on us. We had happened upon a huge, all you can eat buffet. I was sent out to scout. Sushi, sashimi, soups, rice, western and eastern pastry, mousses, ice cream, fruit, salads, Chinese bbq, dim sum, noodles, other cooked dishes, teriyaki, gyoza, and more. The sheer variety was staggering. And - did I say it was all you can eat? We were amazed. And, it was good - as well as constantly replenished. Husband loves sushi and it was not possible for him to taste everything. He loved the unagi. Due to its popularity - the food turnover is rapid at all stations and freshness is supreme. I love Chinese food far more than Japanese, so I lost no time tasting one of everything at that large section of the buffet - or at least I tried but it was not possible. What I did not try looked good. I've got to tell you - it was mostly excellent. I especially liked the roast duck, soy chicken and bbq pork tenderloin along with my chow mein noodles and beef chow fun. Even the rice was good. I did not try the soups but I saw many folks with soup bowls. I did try the tempura and thought it was ok. It's hard to maintain a shatteringly crisp coating but the items were fresh and delicious. The chicken wings were exceptionally good as were the gyoza. We each had iced tea. Our dirty dishes were removed promptly and we were asked several times if we were ready for refills of our tea. I had to try the mango ice cream and the bean paste sesame balls - my favs. I was stuffed but the dessert was very good. Suffice to say you could just go here for dessert. As we are a bit over 50 we had the senior priced lunch for $13.99/pp plus $1.95/pp for our iced tea. The regular weekday lunch is $14.99 plus your drinks of choice. There is beer and wine as well as other soft drinks. There is probably sake but we forgot to ask. Weekday dinner, weekend meal and holiday meal prices are higher. Children always eat for less and it is age dependent. I heard the higher priced dining selections might be a bit better. But, other than lobster I can't quite imagine what would be better than what we saw at lunch time on a Wednesday. And, I don't know if lobster is ever served. There were mounds of all you can eat shrimp at lunch time. So, if you are on a low carb diet there are more seafood, fish, beef, pork, chicken and duck options than you can count and vegetables are plentiful. Frankly, I can't wait to go back. FYI - there is a maximum stay of 2 hours. Apparently some folks have taken advantage of their time there. The staff was friendly, helpful and all I saw was clean. The entrance to the restaurant can be accessed from outside the mall next to JC Penney in the area facing 680. Otherwise, you can enter from the Pleasant Hill Rd. entrance by JC Penney. Walk to your right and then turn into your first left. You'll see a Mongolian BBQ place on your left and then Tomi on your right at the end of that corridor. If this place wasn't so big, I'd be reluctant to write a review because I'd want to make sure we could get in whenever we wanted. But, this is a large place and I suspect waits are never very long. This is a high quality/high value restaurant that should appeal to a wide range of tastes. I did not detect any msg in the food, but I did not ask. I suspect the soy sauce is indeed soy sauce rather than Tamari which is gf. If you have issues like this, be sure to ask. Yum....

1  Thank bb0314

Reviewed 8 August 2016 via mobile

What can I say?! My Southern son married a lovely and accomplished Chinese girl and moved to Cal. We celebrated the birth of their 4th child by going to Tomi Restaurant. I was in total awe of the mountains of delicious food and the number of people that they serve from their buffet! I must say that my favorite item was the roast DUCK!!! The skin was crispy and well seasoned. Since I never get this delicacy in the SE USA I had 2 helpings. I watched the chef expertly chop off the duck's head before chopping all the other pieces into bite size pieces. As soon as the chef finished chopping up one duck people lined up and cleaned out the platter! I think I would come back to Tomi's JUST for the duck. I agree w others that the waiters never returned to refill our drinks. That was the only thing that I could complain about. Go for the roast duck!! Not a sushi fan but saw LOTS of it.

Reviewed 4 July 2016 via mobile

We have been here numerous times and sometimes the food is not always good. But this time the sushi quality was surprisingly great, especially the yellowtail. They even had monk fish liver this time. The hot dishes were good as well. We happily paid the $28 a person for dinner and went home stuffed, in a satisfying way.

Reviewed 26 June 2016 via mobile

This was my first time here. And I was not disappointed with the food. The place was packed for a Saturday lunch--so go early if planning to eat on the weekend. Automatic gratuity for large parties. Covered parking available.

Reviewed 20 June 2016

We frequent this place many times with associates. As you are being seated you pass a never ending array of sushi. The salads, onto soups and dim sum. Then all the varieties of Chinese main dishes. Then around the corner to appetizers and finally ending with desserts. Bring your appetite, an empty stomach, and a lot of Yen because this is not cheap eats. But worth it.