“Not worth the value”

Best Western Chula Vista/Otay Valley Hotel
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Chula Vista
Reviewed 17 March 2011

I was quite surprised seeing a sign saying that the hotel allows smoking inside the rooms!!! Even our room did not smell, but people do smoke in the balcony and we can smell it each time we leave the place. The double-bed room is quite small with very few spaces for walking. Bathroom is small as well, I would not recommend it if you have small children. Location is very noisy (just right in front of the highway). I would have to say that the beds are comfortable and breakfast acceptable, but did not worth the money paid. I would not stay again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
OperationsMgr, Manager at Best Western Chula Vista/Otay Valley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2011

Dear cym3,
I first want to say thank you for your recent review on our hotel on Trip Advisor. We at the Best Western Plus Otay Valley are very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience with us. All of our smoking rooms are in fact located on the side of our hotel that is near the 805 freeway. I can see how your room would have been uncomfortable for you and of course we would love to have you come back and stay with us, and this time we would like to accommodate you in one of our beautiful, newly renovated non-smoking rooms on the other side of the property. We hope that we can offer you a much more satisfied stay and you and your family enjoy your time in southern California with us. If you would like, please feel free to contact management at the hotel directly at 619 422 2600 so that we can discuss your concerns in more detail. Thank you again for your review and have a great day!

Reviewed 12 October 2010

My husband and I recently stayed at this hotel and the room waas very nice, however after a few hours my husband had trouble breathing, he is in excellant health, not wure what it was. Once he stepped outside he was fine, but again after entering the room the breathing was bad again. Finally at 3:00 am, we decided it was not worth the risk amd had to leave, again once outside he was fine. I know they have recently redone the entire hotel, maybe it was a ordorless chemical in the carpet or paint??? Not sure, but a waste of $169 for only a few hours and no sleep :(

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
HotelManagement4450, Manager at Best Western Chula Vista/Otay Valley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2010

Dear Beaulily,
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. We at the Holiday Inn Express Chula Vista are very disappointed to hear that you feel you had a regrettable experience at our hotel. We apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced and want you to know that we take your comments very seriously and will investigate your concerns further. We sincerely care about the safety and comfort of our guests. Again, should you want to discuss this matter further with me, I ask that you contact management at the hotel directly, by calling 619 422 2600. Again, we thank you for your comments and hope that we can host you in the future.

Reviewed 17 August 2010

One wing of this hotel is very close to a very loud, busy freeway. Rooms on the east side facing the freeway are very noisy! When we booked, we requested two top floor rooms in a quiet location, but our requests were not honored. We were not on the top floor, and one of the rooms was on the east side. When we saw how loud that room was, we asked to be moved, but a room on the west side was not available due to hotel renovation. Staff was apologetic, but did not do anything for us. We would have moved to another hotel but it was too late at night, and we'd already been driving for 10 hours. We would not have booked this hotel had we known it was in such a noisy location or that it was under renovation.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends

Dear BirdingIsFun,
First off, thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. We at the Holiday Inn Express Chula Vista are dissapointed to hear that you felt your stay with us was not satisfactory. The renovations have been challenging for us as well, but we are excited about the beautiful new hotel rooms, and we hope that you will give us the opportunity to host you again, so that you can experience our exciting changes and renovations. Again, we thank you for your comments, and should you want to discuss your concerns further with us, we would love to hear from you. Please contact hotel management directly at 619 422 2600, so that we may better assist you.

Reviewed 29 January 2009

Great hotel near Coors Amphitheater. The rooms were nice and beds very comfortable. The breakfast was excellent and free! Great value and good family hotel. Will definately stay again.

• Stayed: January 2009
    • Check-in / front desk
HotelManagement4450, Manager at Best Western Chula Vista/Otay Valley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2009

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on our hotel. We our happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have shared your great experience with our staff.

Reviewed 30 April 2008

I have stayed in plenty of Holiday Inn Express and let me say from the get go that this does not measure up to the rest of them! It is easy to tell that this an older "remodeled" hotel.

As I entered the front desk to check in there were about 5 employees just lounging around talking to each other, none of them seemed the least bit interested in checking me in! After I asked to check in one of them meandered around to the desk and acted as if I was interupting them. Right now the average room rate is $140.00 after the taxes are included, I tried to get the gov't rate and they didnt offer one, also the AAA rate is only about $10.00 cheaper.

The room was actually decent and clean. Very updated vanity, closets, etc. I dont think the ripped shower curtain was too much of a concern to the staff as water sprayed all over the bathroom when taking a shower!

It is in a great location as it is right off the 805. They have a pool and spa which was "closed, sorry for the inconvenience"!!! I stayed here because it was very close to where I needed to be the next morning...if I had to do it over again I would probably pay $90 on priceline and stay at a much nicer hotel and drive a little further!!!

Stayed: April 2008

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at our hotel. I would like to apologize for all the inconvenience you received. All your concerns have been addressed to insure so this doesn’t occur again.