“Hotel is Mediocre and Staff is Nearly Incompetent”

Residence Inn Chico
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Chico
Reviewed 1 June 2011

I stayed at the hotel as part of a group of family in town for a wedding. My mom booked a number of rooms for family, and I stayed in a suite with my parents.

Reservations were made months in advance, but when my mom called to check on her reservation, the hotel told her that it had no record. She eventually gave up on the staff person she was talking to and called back the next day. This time around, the hotel was able to find her reservation.

Then, upon check-in, my mom left a specific request with the front desk that they were to give me a key to her room when I arrived. Upon arrival, the woman at the front desk said that she had no record of this request and that there was nothing that she could do. She said that she had just came on shift and didn't know what happened before her. I argued with her for several minutes and then suddenly her tuned changed. I'm not sure what it was, but my guess is that she suddenly found the notation on the account.

The front desk staff continued to show its incompetence the rest of the weekend, and when anybody else tried to check in, they were bewildered, and the other guests would have to call my mom, who would then have to call the hotel to straighten it out.

Seriously, I would think that a hotel, which by nature often caters to large groups of people, should have been able to handle this situation better. It was quite disturbing to be in the middle of the wedding rehearsal or preparing for the ceremony, only to be interrupted by the hotel not knowing what to do. The staff required an immense amount of hand holding.

The hotel itself was mediocre. The room was blah, but generally clean. The fridge in the suite made a lot of strange noises as did one of the bathrooms. These buzzing sounds kept us up for hours during the night.

This hotel is mediocre at best, but in combination with the incompetent staff, I would not recommend it for future stays, at least not a stay that requires anything from the staff.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Bon_voyage79
There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Chico

Reviewed 6 May 2011

Place was great to stay. Typical Residence Inn with normal RI amenities. Staff was excellent. My group of 5 needed to leave by 5:30 the next morning, but breakfast didn't start until 6:00. They started breakfast early at 5:00 for us! I would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 7 December 2010

It's the perfect place to take kids.
Mine swam in the outdoor pool til they pruned up.
Spacious comfortable living room area.
Kitchenette adequate to cook a reasonable family dinner.
Lovely large variety of choices in the complimentary breakfast bar.
My one complaint was our nonsmoking room smelled like an ashtray.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 November 2010

Stayed here while visiting my college student. Very spacious, clean and comfortable. Like having the kitchen and counter.

Check-in and out was efficient and the front desk staff was pleasant. Enjoyed the nice breakfast buffet as well. Only thing I can think of that would improve is maybe upgrading the soaps etc.

Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 November 2010

This hotel is ok in terms of cleanliness and service. However the front desk is managed by junior staff who really dose not understand what it means to provide great service. They are polite but clueless as how to solve an issue.

We stayed here because my daughter goes to Chico state. The hotel is very noisy next to freeways. Also inside is quite noisy as the walls and floors are paper thin. You hear everything from all sides and it is so bad that they have a ball of ear plugs at the front desk.

If you want to relax or sleep skip this hotel.

Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple