See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 28 October 2016 via mobile

This place is so gross!! Me and my boyfriend stayed for two nights in a row in the same room. And by the time the second night was over and it was the day we left we woke up with bites all over us. So itchy and miserable. And I even brought my own comforter and blankets so er didn't even sleep,in,the sheets but still got bit all over us both so it must be infested. I'm so grossed out and disgusted to know bugs were apparently crawling on me in my sleep! Next time instead of saving the extra 30$ I will just go somewhere, anywhere else!!!!

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tiff530
Reviewed 6 June 2016

We stayed at the American Inn only because of its availability on a college-graduation weekend, which meant that motels were gouging guests with outrageous rates. So we ended up paying $150-plus for a miserable lodging experience. This is a very old motel and has been patched up to fool the customer. The rooms and bathrooms are tiny and dated. The faucet's hot water dribbled out with a stream the size of a pencil, and there were no wash clothes. The bed and pillows were average. I asked for an extra pillow and was promised one would be delivered within 30 minutes. Ninety minutes later, I returned to the office to ask again and was told they forgot. The staff is unwelcoming and curt. Additionally, the parking area is dirty and unkept. I'm trying to think of something positive about our experience there, but I just can't. My advice: Stay away.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 March 2016

In chronological order:
1) the male manager and his son snarled at each other and couldn't /wouldn't (??) speak English to each other when they tried to put in my reservation from an online site, which they could not seem to get done.
2) they wouldn't go with me to the room, just gave me the key and waved in the general direction of the room
3) the male and female managers, man and wife, held a screaming match outside the office at each other.
4) the male manager AND the son snarled at me when I couldn't get the card key to work
5) they snarled at me again when I asked them to show me how to get the TV remote to work, because I could not.
6) the toilet HOWLED whenever myself or the wife flushed it
7) we stayed 2 nights, they brought new towels, but left them on the unmade bed, did NOT vacuum, did NOT empty the garbage, did NOT clean up garbage left by previous renters
8) the shower was dark with no light from the bathroom entering it
9) the bath fan turned but did not draw air/steam/odors out of the bathroom,
10) the bath had no plugs, the only wall plug in the entire room was next to the front door, no where near a mirror, so the wife could see while she dried her hair
11) The male manager told me NOT to bother them again, when I couldn't get the key card to work, after coming back from a restaurant.
12) one of the overhead light bulbs was burned out in the bedroom.
13) no plugs by the bedside to charge a phone, computer, etc.
14) no screens on the windows, and we had to open the window because the room smelled of mold when we came in, so the parking area was even noisier from the street as was our room . .
15) the refrigerator was clanging and shaking so much we just unplugged it
16) we would have just left, but they'd already run our card, and we were afraid they might try to ding us for who knows what!!

BUT
they are across the street from the best Indian restaurant I've ever eaten at, and it is run by the nicest people . . I had to argue with them to take my money when they tried to comp us desert for coming in the next night . . we settled on charging us more for the coffee, after I said I would not take no for an answer.

Room Tip: all of the reviews we've seen since we stayed here Mar 2016, say the same thing, terrible maintenance, angry managers
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank veryverymad
Reviewed 21 June 2015 via mobile

The room was "non-smoking" and the first thing I saw was burn marks on the chair and room reaked of pot. The shower had no light and just wait to see the bed! Left disgusted! Just wanted to let everyone know your better off sleeping in your car!

Stayed: June 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank Chililili1977
Reviewed 19 May 2015

Serious...in 56 years of life and 30 years of traveling...this was the single most worst room on the entire planet. My taste is workable...this was hardly. It was totally disgusting. I dont know where to start. The manager was very aggressive and unprofessional to my wife who said one thing "is there a non smoking room?' I guess he doesn't like that question...so lets ignore him and move on.

The room is disgusting and that was a compliment. Gang tagging on the door. A refrigerator that had never been cleaned since the 1980's. A pillow which was at least 2" thick at most. I did dare use the shower. The controls on the sink were backwards. The toilet fits in a little slot and I barely fit in it (5"9", 195 pounds...hardly a huge guy). But one thing was nice...they left us 1/2 or a roll of toilet paper and it was folded pretty. (That was really funny.)

Thankfully we only had one night to stay so we stayed out late...came home tired, and listened to the trains go by until 6am when we left at first light. We couldn't leave fast enough.

Please. Dont go here. If there are no rooms (which happened to us because of Chico State graduation), then stay in Oroville or the other towns near. This place is hideous and the only thing that can save it is a major fire and rebuilding.

Room Tip: Do not go in the door. Really awful. Sleep in your car or on the ground, its cleaner
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled with family