“Lacks good service”

Cuisines: Peruvian
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Takeout
Reviewed 31 July 2018 via mobile

Needs to improve service, the waiters need better training, food is good! We finished our lunch and it took almost an hour for them to cleared our table, the waiters walked by and never managed to get the empty dishes out of the table! Shame because food is really good!!

Reviewed 6 July 2018

El Recoto is a worthy alternative to Mario's Peruvian in L.A. And we go here to satisfy our cravings for Peruvian food to save us the torturous trip from North Orange County to L.A. The first item we look forward to, once we get seated are the complimentary bread with two kinds of dipping sauces: Aji Verde (a green sauce that has a subtle kick) and Aji Amarillo (a red sauce that has a roasted aroma and flavor). The bread with either sauce is scrumptious and you have to restrain yourself from eating too much, lest you spoil your appetite for the rest of the meal. They have ceviche but we have not yet mustered the courage to try it. We rely instead on our reliable favorites of Lomo Saltado and Jalea de Mariscos. Lomo Saltado which is a beef steak stir-fry with onion, tomato and French fries is an example of "Chifa" cuisine, a Chinese-Peruvian hybrid popular in larger cities such as Lima. And Jalea de Mariscos is a platter of fried fish, squid, prawns and mussels with potatoes, yucca, lots of fresh red onions and hominy. It is available in a large or small size, with the latter enough to fill up two hungry diners. Don't forget to have Inka Cola with your meal! Service is courteous and attentive. The price is a bit on the high side, but is well worth it by the quality of the food. Expect to pay $30 - $45 for lunch for two people: 2 entrees and soda.

Reviewed 19 June 2018 via mobile

Our go to place for Peruvian food.
It helped that we came at an off time where it wasn't crowded and the staff was attentive.
Got seated right away, was greeted by a friendly waitress she took our order and then brought that delicious dipping sauce with bread.

I love the green (aji verde)with a kick at the end,
the red (aji Amarillo) that's a more earthy roasted flavor.

I ordered the Pollo Saltado $14 minus the onion/tomato,
my husband got the Arroz Con Mariscos $16.50
And ofcourse has to get the Inka Kola $3

The arroz con Mariscos -tasty and a variety of seafood was a huge portion had left overs for eating it twice.
The Pollo Saltado was delicious especially when it's covered with the aji sauces. The meat was tender the fries are always good.

The last few times I've been here the service is lacking.

The girl who stands by the door taking names is super rude. I'll have to get her name next time.

I had a visit and ordered my usual Pollo Saltado but my chicken was bad, like it's spongy you know when you bite into something and you instantly know it's not good. Well yeah that's what happened and asked my waitress to maybe switch it out but she literally looked at me like I had no idea what I was talking about.

Called to ask about reservations and the guy who answered said they don't take any but when we come just to let him know we spoke so that way wait time is minimal.
When we got there and told the same girl at the stand and she said there's nothing we can do, wait like everyone else.

Also noticed how they were skimming on the bread/sauce.
If you have two people in your party you get 2 buns.
But some other two person party got 5 buns. Not sure why but it is what it is.

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

I love this place! For its food and people who serve you! You start with fantastic little bread and spicy sauces. Definitely follow with pisco sour (if you are on a sweeter note take maracuya pisco). Grilled octopus, tuna ceviche and fried yucca are to die for. For those on diet go for pescado a vapour (steamed fish) with amazing celery leaves and grilled ginger (what a treat!). All meat dishes, frutti di mare are worth trying. And shrimp soup (peruvian way) is a must try. Keep in mind the portions are big! Also during the weekend you might need to wait for the table as they do not take reservations.

Reviewed 6 December 2017 via mobile

I was in the mode for some Peruvian food, happened to be in the neighborhood and tried it out. The anticuchos de corazon (beef heart) turned out to be pretty good, with nice sauce to go with the BBQ heart. Parrihuela, the seafood soup is a giant bowl of excellent saffron infused hearty meal in itself. Fried fish is moist and expertly fried to perfection, the sauces are to die for. Quite authentic and delicious.

Been to El Rocoto? Share your experiences!