“Claws Restaurant in Cerritos, CA (Caution)”
Review of Claws Restaurant

Claws Restaurant
Ranked #74 of 192 Restaurants in Cerritos
Reviewed 25 October 2017

Claws was one of my families favorite restaurant until last Saturday.  We patronize this location at least three a month to the point most of the waiters remember us.  Prior to this incident we found the staff there pleasant and professional and the food was always tasty. On this particular day we had ordered our usual which was the peeled shrimp in the bag, pound mussels, pound of king crab legs in the bag, side order of sweet potato fries and okra with water and beer. My wife finished her mussels and proceeded to open the bag of king crab legs, which she pulled the first crab leg out of the bag and noticed an unknown black substance on the food (see pictures attached).  Of course we asked the hostess who was near the door if she could send our waiter and showed her our concern.  I watched her go to the back near the bar area and speak to another waiter for at least 2-3 prior to her returning.  The hostess advised us that she was informed that it was normal, which my wife replied that she has never seen this before and requested that we speak with someone.  The hostess left and the "Lead Waitress" (never seen nor met her in the past) came to the table and we showed her the crab and told her our concern and request that this bag be replaced.  The Lead-Waitress then stoically replied that she can take the bag but will not replace it. I thought perhaps that she did not understand what exactly we were talking about so she just kept repeating her response until I realized that she knew exactly what we were saying.  We then requested to see the manager which she left and went to the back for about 5 minutes.  When she returned she said that the manager was indisposed. Now, I am thinking, who ever the manager is left this poor girl out to fend with the problem we have presented. I kindly told her, have your manager step out here please.  My wife starts walking to the back to speak with someone who maybe familiar with us and while she does so, the Lead-waitress gets on her ear-mic and says "an unauthorized person is about to walk in the kitchen", which I reply directly "No, she is not going to go in the kitchen" (wife stops and speaks with someone at the door).  While my wife is speaking in the back the conversation between myself and the Lead-Waitress starts becoming bizarre.  She then tells me that they have a right to refuse to serve us.  I asked, for what...because we asked for the manager.  She then says, we need you to leave (now I am thinking, she wants us to get up and go out the door and say we did not pay for our food). I told her no, that will not be happening.  She then says she will have to call security, which I agreed and told her the more witnesses the better.  In the meantime, my wife comes back and says that they told her that there was not manager there (so now we know the Lead-Waitress just lied to us). I call the emergency line and explained that it was not an emergency but we had a small dilemma at Crows Restaurant which dispatch sent one of their Sheriffs.  While waiting for the Sheriff the security guy comes in and we explain our concerns.   He is looking at the crab trying to figure out what is the black substance on it, then request to take pictures of it, which we agreed.  While he takes pictures, the sheriff comes in and we again explain to him what just transpired.  After he sees the crab he tells us that he will talk with the young lady (Lead Waitress) and see if they will do the right thing. After the sheriff speaks with her he advises us that she says that it is the restaurants policy not to replace food for any reason but that we did not have to pay for anything if we left.  Which we did.  We  usually recommend this restaurant to our friends and family but with what we saw on our food, and the way that it was handled by the Lead-Waitress, we will not be returning and recommend that anyone else take precautions by examine your food carefully (under the sauce) prior to eating.

4  Thank denmarktj

Reviewed 23 March 2017

Nice experience; have been to place couple of times and its has been a awesome experience every time. All seasonings are pretty great and my favourite peeled Shrimp bag in garlic butter sauce with corn as sides.

You can eat with your hand on the table which is a different experience to have.

Reviewed 18 October 2016 via mobile

We went there on a Monday early evening and they were able to accommodate us within 5 minutes. They serve seafoods by the pound cooked in a sauce of your choice. You can choose from crawfish, clams,mussels, peeled shrimps and head-on shrimps. I think the head-on shrimps are pretty awesome. They have sets where for a fixed price you get 1 to 5 lbs of seafood and 3 sides. I love including some corn in the seafood. It's perfectly ok to eat with your hands and there's no need for plates because you eat straight on the table. The seafood is serve in a big bag of goodness. This place is not for the dainty or the prim and proper. But it's a great place to satisfy your seafood cravings.

Reviewed 8 August 2016

I have dine here at least five times!

Everything is good here except the clams (sorry, tried them twice and each time there was a problem).

No matter what seasoning you get, they are all good!

My favorites: peeled shrimps, muscles, crab (any) and any of the appetizers.

The only other negative is that you can not change up on your selection of soft drink.

I recommend this place as a much go to if you love seafood and are in the Cerritos area!

Check times for hours, during the week opens at 3pm

2  Thank Tiggereeyore07
Reviewed 28 July 2016

The original Claws in Garden Grove burnt down, and is currently being rebuilt. This location is in a busy shopping center in the same area as Coco's, 85° bakery, Gen, and where other Asian restaurants are located.

Like all the other seafood in a bag place, this place offers your typical seafood from shrimp, peeled and unpeeled, clams, crawfish, and crab legs. We decided to split the 3 pound seafood combo which came with two appetizers. For the appetizers we chose the wings and the garlic fries. My friend Roger did not care for either appetizer, and I found the be just OK as well. The garlic fries or not garlicky at all, and I was shocked they provided us with catsup to go with the fries.

As we were ordering, we were told they did not have any live crawfish, so we decided to try just 1 pound of the frozen mud bugs, and 2 pounds of shrimp.

For one of the shrimp, we went with just the medium lemon pepper, and the remaining 2 pounds we went with their cannonball, which is a mixture of all of their sauces. We went with the medium spicy level, which was NOT spicy at all (compared to Kickn Crab or Boilng Crab).

This place is definitely cheaper than Kickin or Boiling. That 3 pound combo dinner for two with an added corn and one soda came to $53 before tip. Here's one thing that pissed me off: Apparently they charged us $.50 for SPLITTING the bag of seafood?? I guess you have to agree that the entire order is one flavor? How petty is that?

The place is very clean, and I do like that they have external sinks outside the bathroom. The staff was there quickly when we needed something, and the food did not take very long. I don't think it's a solid 4 Star but maybe 3 1/2 star.

They have other items on the menu besides seafood in the bag, I didn't really check it out as my main purpose was going for the shrimp and crawfish. Frozen crawfish was just OK, a little rubbery, and definitely tiny. It's not the best substitute for the real live ones.

1  Thank callmemochelle