“Typical L & L”

Add it.
L&L Barbeque
Ranked #72 of 97 Restaurants in Castro Valley
Reviewed 13 September 2016

If you have been to an L & L this it just like any other! Decent Hawaiian food - my kids LOVE the beef and chicken and the sauces and my husband loves the kalua pork. My only complaint is that the people who work here could be just a bit friendly once in a blue moon! Every time I am here I kind of feel like I am bugging the girl taking the order. No Ohana feel here. But again, kids like the food so we come back.

Reviewed 17 March 2016

I came here because we'd just come from a trip to Hawaii and my husband wanted some Hawaiian food. Didn't care for it. Had the chicken dish and felt it was too greasy and fatty. Wouldn't come again.

Reviewed 7 August 2015

L&L Barbecue is a part of a small chain that originated in Hawaii. On the Mainland they have had mixed success, some have thrived, some have closed within a few years. This is one location that is doing well. Walking distance from Castro Valley BART, there were still people coming in at 8:30. Simple tables and chairs, no frills.

The food was fine - much healthier than a burger place. The food is salty however, as many items are marinated in soy sauce, then grilled. Quantities are very generous - the "Minis" consist of a generous scoop of rice, a scoop of macaroni (which had too much mayo for my taste, very old school but flavored well) and the grilled meat of your choice. Daughter had bbq chicken, I had bbq Korean ribs. Known as "plate lunch" in Hawaii. Tasty and filling, chicken was under $6, Beef was under $7.

The strip mall itself gets a little sketchy after dark, we left at 8:50 and there was a guy in the parking lot who made me uncomfortable. Daytime is fine, lots of families in the area and people leaving BART. They could do a better job cleaning their bathroom but this the end of the day. Service was efficient if a bit brusque but that could have been because they were busy when I ordered.

So I would give them a 3.5 if they had that rating