“Hospitality and Comfort” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 25 Hotels in Carmel
California
“Hospitality and Comfort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2011

I consider several factors in choosing a hotel, then rating it afterwards. I also try and get hotels that have character or a feel for where we are, or the type of trip I am on. In other words, when Prague, I don't want the Hilton. When in Carmel, I don't want a motel 6.
Reviews by others are very important, and we do our homework.
Location, price, cleanliness, comfort, water pressure, communication with staff, breakfast offerings, parking...all count toward a good rating.

This was a 2 day business trip where I tagged along. The rest of the group stayed elsewhere but we had the dog so I researched places we could stay. On our first trip to Carmel 3 years ago I didn't bring the dog and regretted missing the opportunity. I must have been the only person in town without a dog. I would have stayed at that same place again, but dogs were not allowed. They recommended Hofsas house.

Location is near everything. THis hotel is in a more quiet section of Carmel (although Carmel is quiet), so I should say less busy with foot traffic. It was easy walking distance to the beach, shops, parks. Because I do geocaching as a hobby, I walked all over Carmel, thru the parks (except the one that had a "no dogs" sign which I found very odd!) up and down hills, the back way to the mission, around the coast, back up, several times. If you are in shape, there is no need to ever move your car once parked. The hotel is on a hill which was really nice because of the great view from the upper ocean side rooms! Although on a hill, and with no elevators, you can come and go from the upper side and not climb so many stairs. Just a note, bringing a flashlight is a good idea. The town can get quite dark and night. Plenty of parking, which is very rare.

Once in the room, cleanliness, good hot water pressure, lighting, mirrors, space to put personal bathroom items, comfort and sometimes view are considered. The third floor "dog" king room was larger than I expected. Plenty of room to move around. Bathroom was snug with the door open, but closed it was fine. A pocked door would have been better. The mini fridge in the bathroom didn't work but as soon as we mentioned it the next morning it was replaced. Handy to have a hair dryer, so no need to pack one. We even had a closet that the hubby used. Bathroom was simple and clean. Plenty of hot water with great pressure, adequate lighting. Counter space was less than I like, but fine. Beds were a tad on the harder side (we have a new latex one so most beds woud seem hard now), but we slept fine. We have NEVER taken a dog to a hotel before. I have actually avoided hotels that allow pets in the past, due to allergies, and not knowing how clean they are. Our room was opened up to the breeze and airing out. The linens were white so we were able to tell right off that they were clean (as compared to the old style bedspreads where you never know what has been on it). I was happy and relieved.
We had a nice wide walkway and a big balcony with tables and chairs we could sit at and enjoy the view while eating breakfast on the chilly beautiful November mornings.

Staff and owner were very nice and helpful. We were pleased with the rates we were given for a 5 night stay. We really appreciated the recommendations we were given of places to eat that allowed dogs, considering the temperature outside.The few times we ate without asking were quite disappointing. Don't count on a mcdonalds or taco bell. The only "fast" food is outside the old area- Subway. Food is costly.

We were grateful for the simple breakfast. I don't know what others were complaining about. We found the pastries and bread quite tasty and fresh. Then again, we are early risers and maybe didn't get "leftovers". We asked for a carafe of hot chocolate to take to our room in the morning and often got one when we came back at night to warm up. The staff always were accomodating.

We felt like we were the only ones in the hotel the first few nights. Others mentioned how noise travels. Well, it is an old hotel with wooden walkways and stairs. Yes. Footsteps carry. It took me forever to figure out the steady pattern of clunking I kept hearing was the office footsteps back and forth, but it didn't bother me. Neither did people walking on stairs or walkways. We almost tiptoed, but still made some sound.
I never heard another dog, or saw one for that matter.
Only one night did we have trouble. Some "younger" folk were outside someplace visiting and enjoying themselves until we couldn't stand it anymore. We had been tryng to sleep for almost 4 hours. The doggie "howl" warning alarm sounded a few times because he thought someone was going to come in- and it did sound like it. I kept jumping out of bed to quiet him to not disturb others. Eventually, hubby went out and told them it had gone on too long and we were trying to sleep....they nicely apologised and it got quiet immediately. If people read these reviews then they will be aware of how sounds carry when there is no sound but the ocean, and be more careful. Carmel isn't a 'party" place so I couldn't imagine anything that can't be remedied.

We enjoyed our stay and if we get the opportunity again, will definately go back. Carmel inthe winter is wonderful. The only negative is the cost of food over several days, but that is Carmel, not the hotel.

Room Tip: The king on 3rd floor with a view which allows dogs is great. A Balcony you can relax on and watch t...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hofsas, Manager at Hofsas House Hotel, responded to this review, 18 January 2012
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us, including the great location, cleanliness and large rooms. We hope you will visit us again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Polish first
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

The Hofsas House may not be the most luxurious hotel in Carmel, but it’s affordable, spacious, and friendly. If you want to be within short walking distance of the town’s many fantastic shops, restaurants, and art galleries, as well as one of the most stunning beaches in the world, but don’t have a small fortune to pay for the privilege, there’s no better deal. That’s why our family keeps coming back.

The Hofsas House has a variety of room configurations, including two-room suites. This was perfect for us when my husband, two kids, and I were travelling with my parents. Some rooms have fireplaces, kitchenettes, and balconies. There are also dog-friendly rooms for an additional $25/night, which is how we stumbled on the Hofsas House in the first place. To get the room that best meets your needs, it’s best to call or check out the room descriptions on the hotel’s web site.

Room Tip: The Hofsas House has a variety of room configurations, including suites, plus some rooms to accomoda...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
We are happy you enjoyed the great value we offer at Hofsas House! A charming hotel, centrally located in the heat of Carmel, for a very friendly price. We hope you stay with us again next time you are in the area!
Los Altos Hills, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

This Hotel (motel???) is excellent for travelers with dogs. About 3 blocks from the Ocean Ave, the main street, it is the last motel on the street and a short walk to a nice small park that is also used as an informal dog park. I was invited to release my 2 golden retrievers so they could play with the couple of dogs already there.

Very quiet location. our room did have an ocean view, although about a 20 degree--not 180 degree--view. with the window open you can hear the surf at night. We also had a very nice balcony.

As others have already said, the establishment is pretty basic, clean, well cared for, with a very accommodating staff. The TV was not the best, but we only cared because of a football game we wanted to watch.

For Carmel, a very good value.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank peregrineguy7
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

We had a great stay here with our poodles. The 2-bedroom suite was HUGE, complete with a full kitchen and dining room table. We were centrally located and could walk to downtown and the beaches. The weekend we stayed, the hotel was overrun with poodles yet we never heard barking or saw any other dog-related problems. Even if you travel without a dog, you shouldn't have a problem. I've had more issues with crying babies and unsupervised hyperactive kids than dogs.

The rooms were charming and beds were comfortable. We didn't have any water pressure problems like another reviewer indicated. Bathrooms were fine.

Breakfast was lovely with delicious local pastries (oh, still thinking about that almond danish), fruit and yogurt. We used a tray to bring it back to our room.

The front office staff was so sweet. Thankfully they staffed it with pet-friendly people for Poodle Day.

We have already booked rooms for next year.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank WISCGirl
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

Just returned from a 2 night stay at the Hofsas House Hotel. Very sweet people. I loved the charm of the hotel. Felt like I was in a B&B. Room was a bit dated, but clean. Shower could have used a bit more flow, but it worked. When we arrived we were given the choice of two rooms, which was very thoughtful of the staff. The first room (our original) was nice, but a bit floral and out dated. The one we chose had been updated. Great view of Ocean and nice fireplace. Would return to this hotel again. Only complaint is on Saturday night there was no parking available until after an event was over in the community room. The hotel is a bit loud, but to be honest, it wasn't the staff or the hotel, it was the other guests! Be respectful of other guests please.

Room Tip: Top floor has views of Ocean.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lawin4cr
Hofsas, Manager at Hofsas House Hotel, responded to this review, 15 November 2011
Thank you for the great review! We make every effort to ensure that our guests are happy and we are glad to hear that you were happy with our staff. We hope you join us again!