The West (as they call it when they answer their phone, not to be confused with Westin :) is a great location right off the I-5 and the same exit as Legoland. If you're looking for a "quiet" resort atmosphere, this is not it. That's not to say the hotel isn't nice - it's wonderfully kept, all the amenities you'd need (heated pool, workout room (wouldn't call it a gym), gracious welcoming lobby, sumptous complimentary breakfast). Just know that there are NO rooms with a view. There is also a restaurant on site (breakfast is not in the restaurant, it's a separate area in the hotel) that's apparently quite good. There's also a seafood restaurant across the parking lot. Parking is free and plentiful. There's a gas station adjacent to the hotel as well.
Other things to do in the area besides Legoland is visiting the flower farm (just go see it - 1/4 mile rows of bright flowers), outlet mall to get various knick-knacks that you may have forgotten, restaurants (we ate dinner at PF Changs) of all varieties.
The complimentary shuttle to/from Legoland is a very good idea. Just be sure to reserve the time slot (and be on it otherwise you'll be waiting for the next avail slot). Save $12 in parking - you get dropped off within walking distance of the main entrance.
Rooms are large - we had one with two kings and there was enough room to walk around and drop your bags. Bathroom was very well appointed. As I mentioned before - don't expect any views from most of the rooms (you won't be in them to enjoy it anyway).
Hotel is a good 30 min ride from Sea World, a few mins more for SD Zoo and Old Town SD - I recommend dinner there after a day at zoo or Sea World.
Breakfast is plentiful (although they ran out of regular toast on our second day) offering three hot items, bagels, croissants, pastries, breads, two juices typically, three cereals (no boxes), oatmeal, fruit assortments incl strawberries and of course, many different teas and coffee varieties. Good start to a long day at a theme park.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Next to the pristine beaches of Carlsbad, minutes from attractions such as LEGOLAND, the Museum of Making Music, Lagoons and Outlet Shopping, our boutique style hotel offers 86 rooms including 36 suites. All rooms include one or two king sized beds, free wireless HSIA, 37" flatscreen tv's, refrigerator stocked with two complimentary welcome waters upon arrival, microwave, hairdryer, iron / ironing board, and complimentary full breakfast. For relaxation enjoy our water wall around a sparkling pool/whirlpool. Adults take part in our Seasonal Pour while our smaller guests enjoy cookies and milk at bedtime. Let our shuttle service (within 5 miles of the hotel)take your mind off gathering directions while our Concierge team plan your next move. The property features two dining on-site dining options Bistro West (Contemporary Farm to Table faire) and West Steak and Seafood (Fine Dining). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Wotif.com, Expedia APAC, Agoda and TravelClick so you can book your West Inn & Suites Carlsbad reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- West Inn & Suites Carlsbad Hotel Carlsbad
- West Inn And Suites Carlsbad
- West Hotel Carlsbad
- Carlsbad West Hotel