When I think of the Park Hyatt brand, the following words come to mind – contemporary, distinctive, and elegant. In the case of the Park Hyatt Aviara the only word that applies is elegant.
It is evident that this is a former Four Seasons Hotel. The décor is refined, and there is an heir of pretention among the staff. Unfortunately, the color scheme is more sophisticated than stylish, and the service is disingenuous and inattentive. Regarding the latter, we were placed on an interminable hold while waiting to speak with a front desk associate. On two occasions, we waited several minutes at the valet stand before finally asking – “Could you please give us our car keys?” The delay was not due to demand. In the first instance the two valet attendants were exchanging pleasantries. In the second instance, the attendants were clearly trying to answer the age-old question - "How many attendants does it take to park one car?"
The highlight of the hotel was the guest room. We were upgraded to a partial ocean view at the end of the hallway. The balcony coupled with ideal weather made for a quiet, relaxing afternoon. Inside the room, the exceptionally comfortable bed would rank in our top three. The room was spacious and included a sofa, desk, flat-screen TV, and DVD player. The bathroom was expansive. There was an enclosed water closet, glass shower, and sizeable bathtub. The two sinks expedited our morning routine.
It was a cool, spring day, so we only passed through the pool area. There is an adult-only area, and the ocean can be seen in the distance. It should be noted that the resort is several miles from the ocean, so if you are expecting a beach vacation, this would not be the place.
Finally, the additional fees only added to our aggravation. The only parking option is valet, and there is $30 daily fee. Add in the tips, and parking becomes the equivalent of a lunch. It would behoove of this hotel to adopt the “all tips already included” policy which some five-star hotels have implemented. It would also behoove of the attendants to attend to the guests. After all, there is a $30 price tag for parking. There is also a $25 resort fee, so the total fees are now approaching a dinner for two. We are not immune to paying these fees – see our review on the Grand Hyatt Kauai – but these surpassed the reasonable threshold.
In summary, there are hotels which can command $500 per night. This is not one of them.
Pros: Spacious guest room , magnificent bed, adult-only pool
Cons: Inattentive, disingenuous service; valet parking and resort fee equal dinner for two
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On California’s sun-drenched Pacific coast, in the seaside community of Carlsbad, Park Hyatt Aviara Resort lies on the north shore of Batiquitos Lagoon – a vast protected wildlife sanctuary and an enclave of natural beauty. From atop the highest ridge, overlooking the ocean and the lagoon, the AAA Five Diamond San Diego resort provides a respite from the ordinary. Located amid 200 acres of verdant hillsides and rolling valleys, within the master-planned community of Aviara, our North San Diego luxury hotel and resort provides an appealing setting for any function. The resort’s Spanish colonial architecture welcomes with a sense of casual elegance. Each of the 329 spacious guest rooms – including 44 suites – features a private balcony or landscaped terrace offering magnificent views. Expansive facilities for meetings and special events are enhanced by complete resort amenities, from acclaimed dining to a full-service spa, swimming, tennis, a fitness center and an Arnold Palmer-designed 18-hole championship golf course. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Hyatt Hotels Corporation, Booking.com, Expedia APAC, Wotif.com, lastminute.com.au, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Hooroo Pty Ltd, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Park Hyatt Aviara Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Park Hyatt Aviara Hotel Carlsbad
- Four Seasons Hotel Carlsbad
- Four Seasons Carlsbad
- Aviara Resort
- Carlsbad Four Seasons
- Four Seasons Aviara