All reviews los gatos san jose marble bathroom styrofoam cups toilet room double vanity european feel silicon valley room rate is large room free breakfast two sinks cold cereal sitting area fresh fruit an older property front desk staff
Reviewed 26 May 2018

This hotel is a hidden gem! From the moment we checked in to the moment we left..we were treated like royalty. The front desk gentleman, Zal, was very attentive and made sure we would have everything we might need. He checked us in quickly and got us right into our room on the first floor. He recommended several nearby restaurants in case we wanted to get a bite to eat and told us of several nearby attractions as well. We will definitely be returning to this hotel!

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jerry P
Reviewed 24 May 2018 via mobile

A hotel so clean, the staff is very attentive, and the inside is very well decorated. The free breakfast is very satisfying. I love the fact that they have coffee and hot chocolate all day all night available for you. Lots of free parking and quiet.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank Salvador Q
Reviewed 28 April 2018 via mobile

We had a King Suite for three nights.
Loved
- the European feel with furnishings and art work. Heavy casework, damask wallpaper. Mahogany Drexel Heritage wood pieces, FlexSteel upholstered pieces with premium fabrics and curtains, Crystal Chandeliers and highly polished brass sconces, ceramics lamps with silk shades, and comfortable seating. Bed was comfortable, which is a plus. However, was nowhere near king size. When I went to the front desk as I thought I was given a queen room in error, they indicated that the management said the beds were “hotel king”. A 62” wide bed is no where near a king. Stayed in hotels all over the world and never encountered a “hotel” king.

Marble Bathroom, plenty of counter space, good shower.
The toilet was a chair height elongated which is great, but was a power flush, and lost compression in five minutes so it required 2 flushes, with a long wait time to fill, so not sure it is saving water. There was a non functioning night light in the bathroom, which would have been welcome. The only light switch turned on all the lights in the bathroom and toilet room and the fan. As the bathroom is an interior room, it is a black hole at night. The towels were the smallest and thinnest I have experienced in quite some time.

The carpet needed a serious deep cleaning, as there were a lot of stains. The sheets were old and thin, topped with an equally old, thin blanket and a super heavy damask coverlet. Heaven knows how often they wash the blankets and coverlet. The only linen I saw in the maids carts were the sheets and towels.
The window wouldn’t close the last inch or so and looked out on Bascom, the glass was the thinnest I have seen in a very long time. I always travel with ear plugs, so it wasn’t an issue, but that is a noisy street. I asked about moving, but apparently the largest nicest rooms are all on the street side. Although surfaces of wood furniture was clean, there was a china display case in the corner with china and statuary which hadn’t been dusted on the inside in a good long time. Also, the tv was one of the smallest I have seen in a while. On the plus side, the WiFi was good, and didn’t require a password.

Free USA Today in the Berlin Room with breakfast.
Breakfast offered scrambled eggs (the “eggs your way” Must refer to the salsa you can ladle on), alternating bacon one day and sausage the next, potatoes, oatmeal and pancakes. All of these in chafing dishes, some (eggs, oatmeal) in bowls in a water bath, so as not to get dried out, but the sterno didn’t really keep things hot, just tepid. Fresh cut fruit, yoplait yogurt, an assortment of bagels, sliced bread (processed wheat) small industrial danish cold cereal and granola and an assortment of juices and good coffee, a credible assortment of teas. The odd part was that there was heavy coffeeshop grade plates and bowls, low end utensils, but only styrofoam cups for both juices and coffee/tea. Glassware and mugs for coffee in guest rooms, but styrofoam in dining room. We brought the mugs from our room for our coffee and brought them back to the room. I cannot abide using styrofoam.
The coffee makers in the guest room were similar to mini Keureg, but they had tubes of instant Tasters Choice instead of real coffee pods.
They did however keep the pumping carafes of coffee in the Berlin Room full whenever we needed coffee. They also offered lemon water in the foyer...with plastic cups. And I noticed a covered cake plate with cookies near the Front Desk.

They have clearly slid a bit since first opening. There was a small sign in the closet requesting that you do not take the robes left for your use...robes no longer in evidence.
A lovely binder in the desk with info on local restaurants listed restaurants that have been closed for years...Fung Lums, The Chart House, Valerianos, thought for a second I was in a time machine.

The Front Desk staff was cheerful and cordial, as was the Berlin Room staff.

So will I return? Absolutely, very likely, the pluses outweigh the minuses. I liked the location and the room rate is one of the best in the valley. I have stayed in rooms in Silicon Valley that were way more worn and paid more, however, I will remember my night light, and pack my slippers. A little more attention and it could be stellar...but the prices would likely shoot up.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank MGFuqua
Reviewed 16 April 2018

This is possibly Silicon Valley’s best kept secret (except for the Apple iHouse under development in a Palo Alto garage). It is a luxury accommodation with an economy price. Seriously, price and location were the driving factors for me on this little vacation trip. I was traveling by myself, so I wasn’t as choosy as I would be if I was with my wife.

Was I in for a surprise. It is very neat and pretty on the outside, located in Campbell, a fairly sane little city tucked between San Jose and Los Gatos. It’s out of the way with pretty good freeway access. Walk in and suddenly your in classic Victorian poshness that could easily be London’s Mayfair district. Greco-Roman statuary and a china cabinet in the small but well-appointed lobby and attentive and friendly service at the front desk. I was so impressed with the gentleman at the front desk the afternoon I checked in, obviously a long-time employee, I noted his name so I could share it here and then mislaid it.

My room was as well-appointed and cared-for as any as I’ve stayed in at a Hilton or Fairmont (and a bit larger than most), with a queen bed, desk, reading chair and table and enough floor space remaining for several couples to dance.

Ironically, part of my reason for not bringing my wife is to make this an economy trip (airfare paid by frequent flyer miles, low-priced accommodations, small, cheap rental car. Now, one of biggest regrets is that she didn’t get to see this hotel (she loves all things neat and Victorian). But we will unquestionably be back. I lived in this area for many years and visited back here quite frequently. And I could not now think of a better place to stay.

Room Tip: Soundproofing is good. Rooms on the east side abut a fairly busy street but have a nice view of the hills. West-facing rooms may be quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
3  Thank Ric G
Reviewed 19 March 2018

This was my second stay at the Bristol. It is a nice, small, quiet, hotel. The decor is eclectic but also part of its charm. The rooms are nicely furnished, clean, comfortable. The complimentary breakfast is good. I think it is an excellent value. I most likely will stay there again, as I have family in the area, and I would recommend it to others.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family