“Great fun for all the family!”

Adventure Tours Hacienda Guachipelin
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Adventure tours for all ages next to Rincon de la Vieja National Park, Liberia, Guanacaste. 7 waterfalls to explore. 2 areas of hot springs. Adventure tours, packaged in a combinataion : "One Day Adventure Pass" Canopy Tour, White water Tubing, horseback ride and hot springs, with 1 meal. Individual tours are operated too.The new attraction is the butterfly garden with the snake and frog exhibit. The best adventure tour is the Canyoning Tour. The only canyoning tour in Guanacaste. Hiking tours to Rincon de la Vieja Volcano National Park. Bird watching and wildlife observation is also offered. We are open every day of the week. Now mountain bike tours on the best single track trails in Guanacaste.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 26 August 2017 via mobile

This adventure centre which is part of the hotel is really good and has lots of great stuff to try. We did horse riding twice which was simply magical especially for my 10 year old daughter Emma. It was our first time but the cowboys made us feel so confident and the horses were great and could do the route we took to a lovely waterfall blind folded I am sure. We were able to swim in the beautiful waterfall and river before returning through the forest to the hotel. Good value too for a lovely trip. We also used the free shuttle service provided which runs regularly to go to the stunning national park where we had a lovely and not too strenuous 3 mile walk which took us past bubbling pools , flumaroles and waterfalls and we saw quite a few birds and lizards etc. It was suitable for children and had a path all the way round. We also used the transport to take us to their own hot pools which are situated 10 mins away in the forest. These are absolutely great and after a short walk through the forest and across a few hanging bridges you can choose from 6 or 7 pools of various temperatures to relax in and paint yourself or each other with volcanic mud and then wash it off on river or shower. We were lucky the second time as we were joined by a large troop of capuchin monkeys who were all around in trees as we wallowed in the relaxing hot pools. There is changing facilities there at entrance and refreshments if needed. A must if staying at the hotel !
We didn't have time or the courage to do tubing , canyoning etc but kits were and next time I am sure we will have a go. All in all a good experience with clinical and helpful staff and good value and lots to do.

jose b, Manager at Adventure Tours Hacienda Guachipelin, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2017

Thank you Reviewed by Ted T for your comments.
We are glad that you enjoyed the horses with your daughter, and that you enjoyed the trails at the national park. This trail is the most popular and the most visited. We hope that you can do the tubing on your next visit.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"favorite activity"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

We purchased the all day adventure pass from the concierge at our hotel in Playa del Coco. Our first activity was zipping and before it started we were asked if we wanted a photographer to follow us for the day for $45. Of course we said yes. What they didn't tell us was that we needed to be back there before 5pm because that's when they close.
We were rushed from ziplining to horseback riding and then to tubing. From there we had lunch and then went to the hotsprings and mud baths where I assumed the camera man would also be snapping pictures. By the time we returned to the office it was 5:15pm and everyone was gone.
On the advice of our concierge, I emailed them that evening explaining what happened and that we wanted to purchase the photos. The following day when I didn't hear back from them, I called and spoke to someone who assured me that they would be able to find our pictures. All I had to do was email pictures of our family so they could look for our photos. I immediately sent the family pics and again did not hear back. On Saturday, the day we were flying home, I called again and spoke to someone different in the photo department who again asked for me to send family pictures which I sent AGAIN.
We had time to drive out there before our flight in the afternoon, so that's what we did ( more than an hour out of our way).

Here comes the sad part...we were informed that our zip lining pictures had all been deleted. I wanted to cry. I was told they delete them the following day to make room for new pictures. So it mattered not that I had emailed the SAME DAY we were there and again the next day, or that I had called them and spoke to them twice. I was told the pictures are gone.

So please learn from my mistake and don't let them rush you from one event to the next. Stop and purchase the pictures while you can. At least we have our memories.

jose b, General Manager at Adventure Tours Hacienda Guachipelin, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2017

We are very sorry for the photographs missing. The photograph stand is leased to a local family, but still we are responsible for whatever happens with our guests.
We will take all of the necessary measures so that this will not happen again to anyone.
The management.

Reviewed 19 August 2017

We did not stay at the property but we came here to go tubing and loved it!!

GOOD
-The price. $110 for 2 people.
-They held on to our car keys for us while we went tubing.
-Our car was safe with all our belongings.
-We got to ride horses!
-At the end of the horse riding trail we saw lots of monkeys in the trees!
-The tubing was so much fun!

BAD
-Tubing was a little shorter than I had expected. I didn't realize we were going to take a bus after riding the horses to the tubing star point, and then take a bus again after tubing, to the main building.

Thank you Matt E for your comments. We are glad that the tubing and the horseback ride was fun.
Thanks for visiting Rincon de la Vieja .

Reviewed 7 August 2017

My Family and I spent a full day of adventure here. My wife and I mountain biked in the morning while the kids and grandparents did a horseback ride/tubing adventure. We all had a great time.

In the afternoon my wife, my son, my daughter, and I all did the "Waterfalls Canyoning Tour". We all, one at a time, rappel off of the bridge and when the rope runs out and we'd drop into a pool at the bottom of the waterfall. Once you do this you climb back up and do it again and then move on to the next part of the adventure. One the second drop when i entered the water i hit a rock that drove my lower legs apart my knees were forced in by my falling weight. I came out of the water screaming in pain. I was able to get down stream and when i tried to stand i could tell i was in trouble. Both of my knees felt incredible pain and I had an odd feeling in them. There is no other way safely out of this area besides rappelling down the next water fall and then climbing up a long line of stairs cut into the side of the mountain. The tours guides continued the tour even though they knew i was hurt and no one except my wife helped me to climb out of the canyon.

Once i was back at the adventure center the EMS guy Eric took over. He instantly put compression and tape on my knees and took me to a imaging center for x-rays and then to the hospital in Iberia. Eric got dinner for my family from a local restaurant and worked with the doctors for the whole 5 hours i was there. He went above and beyond the call of duty and i am extremely grateful for what he did. The doctors were able to give me pain and anti-inflammatory meds to help me to make it home int two days. The hospital visit cost $2000.

Once i was back home in New Jersey I was able to get MRI's for both knees and go to an orthopedic doctor. I have a Grade 1 MCL tear in my right knee. In my left knee I have a Grade 2+ MCL and PCL tear. It's been 10 days since my injury occurred. The doctor is hoping I will not need surgery on the left knee but it's still too soon to tell.

We were told this was a very safe adventure but it evidently was not. I was not the only one to feel this rock as my wife mentioned slightly feeling it too. Additionally, on my sons GoPro i could hear others in our group say that they felt a rock. The negligence of the hotel and the unprofessionalism of the guides is scary. This obviously is not a safe place for this adventure.

2  Thank Vloiacono
jose b, Manager at Adventure Tours Hacienda Guachipelin, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2017

Thank you for comments Vloiacono.
According to the medical registry, you had a case of knee sprain. We can assure that there is no rock at the bottom of the pool. Our staff checked the pool thoroughly just in case a flash flood moved a rock and everything was normal. Guachipelin has not experienced a knee sprain from jumping in the pool.
The management.