Open today: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Book In Advance
Tours from Adventure Tours Hacienda Guachipelin tend to sell out - travellers recommend booking in advance!
Why Book on TripAdvisor?

from USD 92.00
from USD 84.99
from USD 120.00
More Info
All reviews rock climbing river tubing white water tubing tarzan swing horseback ride zip lining hot springs canopy tour costa rica buffet lunch rio negro hotel restaurant great value mud bath favorite activity super fun always felt safe
Reviewed 19 August 2017

We did not stay at the property but we came here to go tubing and loved it!!

GOOD
-The price. $110 for 2 people.
-They held on to our car keys for us while we went tubing.
-Our car was safe with all our belongings.
-We got to ride horses!
-At the end of the horse riding trail we saw lots of monkeys in the trees!
-The tubing was so much fun!

BAD
-Tubing was a little shorter than I had expected. I didn't realize we were going to take a bus after riding the horses to the tubing star point, and then take a bus again after tubing, to the main building.

Date of experience: August 2017
jose b, General Manager at Adventure Tours Hacienda Guachipelin, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2017

Thank you Matt E for your comments. We are glad that the tubing and the horseback ride was fun.
Thanks for visiting Rincon de la Vieja .

Reviewed 7 August 2017

My Family and I spent a full day of adventure here. My wife and I mountain biked in the morning while the kids and grandparents did a horseback ride/tubing adventure. We all had a great time.

In the afternoon my wife, my son, my daughter, and I all did the "Waterfalls Canyoning Tour". We all, one at a time, rappel off of the bridge and when the rope runs out and we'd drop into a pool at the bottom of the waterfall. Once you do this you climb back up and do it again and then move on to the next part of the adventure. One the second drop when i entered the water i hit a rock that drove my lower legs apart my knees were forced in by my falling weight. I came out of the water screaming in pain. I was able to get down stream and when i tried to stand i could tell i was in trouble. Both of my knees felt incredible pain and I had an odd feeling in them. There is no other way safely out of this area besides rappelling down the next water fall and then climbing up a long line of stairs cut into the side of the mountain. The tours guides continued the tour even though they knew i was hurt and no one except my wife helped me to climb out of the canyon.

Once i was back at the adventure center the EMS guy Eric took over. He instantly put compression and tape on my knees and took me to a imaging center for x-rays and then to the hospital in Iberia. Eric got dinner for my family from a local restaurant and worked with the doctors for the whole 5 hours i was there. He went above and beyond the call of duty and i am extremely grateful for what he did. The doctors were able to give me pain and anti-inflammatory meds to help me to make it home int two days. The hospital visit cost $2000.

Once i was back home in New Jersey I was able to get MRI's for both knees and go to an orthopedic doctor. I have a Grade 1 MCL tear in my right knee. In my left knee I have a Grade 2+ MCL and PCL tear. It's been 10 days since my injury occurred. The doctor is hoping I will not need surgery on the left knee but it's still too soon to tell.

We were told this was a very safe adventure but it evidently was not. I was not the only one to feel this rock as my wife mentioned slightly feeling it too. Additionally, on my sons GoPro i could hear others in our group say that they felt a rock. The negligence of the hotel and the unprofessionalism of the guides is scary. This obviously is not a safe place for this adventure.

2  Thank Vloiacono
jose b, Manager at Adventure Tours Hacienda Guachipelin, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2017

Thank you for comments Vloiacono.
According to the medical registry, you had a case of knee sprain. We can assure that there is no rock at the bottom of the pool. Our staff checked the pool thoroughly just in case a flash flood moved a rock and everything was normal. Guachipelin has not experienced a knee sprain from jumping in the pool.
The management.

Reviewed 28 July 2017 via mobile

We LOVED the one day adventure pass. The horseback riding was so-so but the whitewater tubing and canopy tour were amazingly fun! It was a long day but relaxing in the volcanic mud hot spring at your own pace was the perfect ending. Definitely and amazing tour and worth every penny!

Date of experience: July 2017

Thank you Kevyn P for your comments.
We are glad that you enjoyed the adventure activities and the hot springs.
Thank you for visiting Hacienda Guachipelin.

Reviewed 19 July 2017

Stop looking this tour had it all! Picked up right on time by a professional friendly driver (Orlando from Natives way) the day was exciting, well organized, safe but also fast paced and challenging. Good for all ages, our family of 5 loved it! Definitely reccomend the all day tour, horseback, tubing, zip Line and hot springs. Don't skip the tubing, worth the price for sure. These guys are river sherpas, amazing!

Date of experience: July 2017
jose b, Manager at Adventure Tours Hacienda Guachipelin, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2017

Thank you Jennifer F for your comments. How good to know that the staff has done a good job. One of the best tours, tubing, has been operating for more that 15 years and that people still enjoy the ride.
We hope that you can visit Costa Rica again.

Reviewed 17 July 2017

I really love the trails at Hacienda Guachipelin. They have 31 km of epic single track trails, full of nature (yesterday we saw a beautiful dear, several pavones, tons of morph butterflies and of course lot's of birds). The bike rental service is one of the best iv'e seen in general. They rent new Santa Cruz bikes (that is something you don't see everyday). The service es excellent and the experience of riding near a volcano is amazing! Totally recommended!

1  Thank Marce X

Thank you Marce X for your comments.
We are glad that you enjoyed the MTB trails. The site is home for 2 yearly MTB events and open all year for moutainbiking and for all levels.
We hope to see you again in the area.
Pura vida !!!