“Bates Motel would have been better”
Review of Moonstone Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cambria
Moonstone Inn
Ranked #21 of 24 Cambria B&B and Inns
Granada Hills, CA
“Bates Motel would have been better”
Reviewed 27 May 2010

This place is just sad. Old, out-dated, smelly, YUK! Not even the cockroaches want to stay here. Maybe new owners need to be found and do a complete renovation on the place. Take my advise and sleep in your car. You'll be glad you did.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mattman1961

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Banning, California
Reviewed 7 October 2009

In late 1983, I use to get away, or should say run away on weekends at least three times a year right from work on Fridays. One year I decided to drive down this street named Moonstone, having seen it many times before I reached Hearst Castle. It was late when I saw some lights on in the office and went in. There was this charming elderly lady and gentleman, they were getting ready to close up for the day. They really made me feel welcome, I was amazed by all the pictures all over the walls from very important people, movie stars, senators, all signed. I stayed in the lower left corner room with a cornered stone fireplace, the gentleman went ahead while I checked in and started up the fireplace. Once in my room, I noticed that all the furniture was French antique. The entire room smelled of fresh linen, I took my shower and went to sleep. Since I didn't put the privacy sign on my door, like clock work, the elderly gentleman knocked on my door with this English Silver service set the like I've never seen before. Hot coffee, fresh home made bisuits, with local preserves and honey, the labels had the names of local stores in Cambria. Some fresh fruit in a bowl, real cream and sugar, the flatware was sterling, the dishes were real bone china. Wow, was I impressed! I ended up staying there all weekend. I took walks up and down the beach, the sand consisted of tiny black pebbles, I'd never seen that before. I fell asleep late that first afternoon, when there was a knock on the door, this time the elderly lady accompanied the gentleman. They actually brought me dinner, The entire silver service, with tea, stemware and pitcher by Lalique. I found out she lived in the house behind the Inn. A baked potatoe with all the trimings, asparagus with garlic and onions, Venison steak, a salad and a baked apple pastry. Mmmmmm, that was something one never forgets. I continued to visit and stay there for several years and no I didn't get dinner every time, just once in a while.
Late 1991, I visited, after staying away for at least 3 years. There was this younger gentleman, not at all like the elderly gentleman and lady. The office looked unkept, smelled of cigarette, the windows were dirty. As I walked to my room I noticed that I was the only one there, in fact I was alone all weekend. I asked the gentleman about the owner, he said she had passed away. I felt so bad for not having gone before. It was the last time I stayed. My old room was musty smelling, bathroom looked unsanitary, the whole place had this saddness about it. I stayed that night and moved on the next day to a place near Hearst Castle. I am writing this so you will know it used to be a beautiful place, old, warm and charming and very shiny clean from top to bottom. I read all your comments and remembered how nice it used to be, I feel sorry that you did not have the same experience I did once upon a time......

• Stayed February 2006, travelled solo
11 Thank Stella0001
San Diego
Reviewed 22 March 2009

Well, I can see things haven't gotten better in a year (the last review). We were the only ones staying here, I guess that should have been a clue. We got a fairly good rate at this motel and the man who checked us in (I think the owner) said it was his best room. Wow, the other rooms must be really bad. It was dirty, carpet was really stained, there was a pair of dirty sox in the drawer, which tells me there is no housekeeping, the bathroom floor was not clean, the shower rod was a temporary one, the heater in the bathroom was full of dust. Gross, gross, gross. There was no breakfast offered, as claimed in the website, but that is just as well, I couldn't have eaten it anyway.

There are lots of other places on Moonstone Beach that appear much nicer.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank callan1034

Travellers are raving about these Cambria hotels

Chicago
Reviewed 17 September 2008

DO NOT STAY HERE! Its simply awful. There are so many good hotels on Moonstone and on the Central Coast. The lady at the desk is a miserable host and doesn't like Europeans or any visitors for that matter.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank mrobins11
Gilroy, California
Reviewed 28 August 2008

We stayed one night and the views were good, the location awesome, but the room felt like a night at Grandmas. Older furnishings, seemed a little dusty. Broken curtains!
The perks were fresh baked cookies, a tray with breakfast delivered in the morning, the spa, and the price.
The dissapointments were the crotchity older lady in the office, the kindy dingy room and the useless coupons they provide upon check-in.
Will have to go back and check out other places...

• Liked — the sound of the ocean
  • Disliked — the problems
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank rdchiona