“Easy to Miss, Worth the stop”
Review of Wheel Inn Restaurant - CLOSED

Wheel Inn Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast
Reviewed 26 February 2013

Driving by Wheel Inn on I-10, it's really easy to miss. If you are heading east, you may be dazzled by the Morongo Casino and the Outlet Mall. By the time you recover, you wonder if those dinosaurs were just your imagination. With the Burger King and the (now closed) Spanky's BBQ, both the dinosaurs are harder to see, and the Wheel Inn just doesn't stand out. For those who remember, "Pee Wee Herman's Big Adventure" had a scene here (with a lady named "Large Marge").

Once you stop here, you'll be filled with the large portions of comfort food. Kitschy decor, and looks straight out of the mid 20th century. What Ruby's tries to be, this place IS. OK, Ruby's shakes are better. But this place is the real deal. Service is great, and if you have kids, you can go visit the dinosaurs out back. Watch them gobble their food to get a shot at those dinos.

Reviewed 20 November 2012

When my dad drove by the Wheel Inn 50 times A year from 1963 to 1972, I would ask
Him to stop but. We only stopped a couple times because his wife hated it. Probably
Reminded her of Oklahoma.
When I was 13 in1972 I thumbed the same route on my own. I began stopping at the Wheel Inn
Three or four times a year. It is always good.
Now I live in Australia.
It is on my "must stop" list.
I eat, buy a pie and leave a Sinatra style tip. Life has been good to me so far

Reviewed 17 November 2012

The chicken fried steak was from Smart and Final and too high for what it was...(they made their money back on what I was charged) for 1 serving. They sell high end dog treats in the lobby that are at least 1 year past the 'Best if used by date'...
Additionally, the staff tells people how much money you spent on your personal Visa Card which I consider private information.

Reviewed 14 September 2012

My boy's were dying to eat at this restaurant after seeing it on the Pee Wee Herman movie. The staff was very friendly and the food was worth the price. We had breakfast both times that we went it and the portions were huge. We were able to split meals for our two smallest to share and it worked out great.

1  Thank kubla76
Reviewed 25 June 2012

I make a point of visiting this delicious diner every time I am in Palm Springs! The interior is very old and typical of a 60s diner. The menu is huge, but I always stick with breakfast. The waitresses are incredibly friendly, the food is giant sized and delicious, and the bizarre kitch on the walls is great to look at while you wait!